Yamaha Receivers Problem with Net Radio

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
This issue got me curious on whether this was happening to my other four Yamaha AVR’s and sure as god made little green tomatoes’ two of them were having the same problem (“Not Connected”) with the net radio function; the RX-A830 & the RX-A3040. The RX-A2040 was fine and I'll be checking the RX-A2000 later on in the day. So I went thru the firmware update procedure on those two models and now the Net Radio function is working on those two models as well. From what I can see though there was no firmware downloaded/updated, via my hard-wired connections. I’m not saying an update didn’t occur but there were no progress notifications or any visible indicators on the front LED panel of any kind which I normally see whenever I’ve updated the firmware on my Yamaha AVR’s.

Please be aware I’m not stating this is an official Yamaha fix or repair for the net radio feature malfunction. I don’t work for and I am not associated with Yamaha in any capacity. If you’re not familiar or unsure on how to proceed with updating the firmware, please read the owner’s manual before proceeding or contact Yamaha Tech Support. I’d hate to see anyone “brick” their unit accidentally because they’re not familiar with the firmware upgrade procedure.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Before anyone goes out and hangs someone at Yamaha, remember- they (and the other AVR brands) use VTuner, which is a service that provides programming for manufacturers who want to use it and sometimes, since we're dealing with data, problems occur.

I called CI support early last week and the guy said he hadn't heard about it, then put me on hold so he could test the same model- theirs didn't work, either. Mine started working on Thursday.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Speaking of Net Radio, here's a nice feature that someone posted on another web site on how to assign a memory preset number to a net radio channel which you won't find in the owners manual. Pretty well the same procedure to assign an AM/FM channel and it works.

"After selecting a NETRADIO channel, hold down the Memory button on the remote for a few seconds. Then hit the memory button again to assign the station to an empty slot. Use the remote's preset buttons to switch between memorized stations."

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Before anyone goes out and hangs someone at Yamaha, remember- they (and the other AVR brands) use VTuner, which is a service that provides programming for manufacturers who want to use it and sometimes, since we're dealing with data, problems occur.

I called CI support early last week and the guy said he hadn't heard about it, then put me on hold so he could test the same model- theirs didn't work, either. Mine started working on Thursday.
I don't think anyone knows what the hell happened with any certainty. I listen to net radio every morning to get the latest news/weather and mine didn't fail until yesterday. I live in a valley with crappy AM/FM reception, so the net radio function has been a godsend to a degree, instead of holding the antennae and pretending I'm being crucified. :p

Al I know or care about is that it's working again. :)

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Very strange indeed. Mine is working perfectly again too. I reset the modem and the router just as a troubleshooting step. My RX-A3060 is hard wired to my Netgear router and normally the net functions work pretty great. Every now and then I will have to re-enter my user ID and password for Sirius sat radio (have no idea why) but pandora has been flawless. These receivers are so complex anymore, so who knows...

I found this out from a Yamaha rep and thought I'd share. Folks may know this already, but if you need to do a factory reset. Go to the set-up menu and navigate to information. Make note of your IP address, than go to your computer and type in the IP address. Click settings, then click back-up/recovery. you can save all the settings on your receiver BEFORE you do the factory reset. It won't save your bookmarks for net radio though.

Attachments

highfigh

highfigh

I don't think anyone knows what the hell happened with any certainty. I listen to net radio every morning to get the latest news/weather and mine didn't fail until yesterday. I live in a valley with crappy AM/FM reception, so the net radio function has been a godsend to a degree, instead of holding the antennae and pretending I'm being crucified. :p

Al I know or care about is that it's working again. :)
I have the opposite problem- I'm too close to the broadcast antenna farms, so my tuners are overloaded and I have a noise:signal issue. I have found the best performance for a few stations comes form using a 300-70 Ohm balun with a twist tie from a loaf of bread that has been attached to only one screw.

Denon and most others had problems with VTuner around 2011 and Yamaha was the only one whose AVRs didn't- not sure why, but it could be a VTuner-driven incompatibility.

highfigh

highfigh

Very strange indeed. Mine is working perfectly again too. I reset the modem and the router just as a troubleshooting step. My RX-A3060 is hard wired to my Netgear router and normally the net functions work pretty great. Every now and then I will have to re-enter my user ID and password for Sirius sat radio (have no idea why) but pandora has been flawless. These receivers are so complex anymore, so who knows...

I found this out from a Yamaha rep and thought I'd share. Folks may know this already, but if you need to do a factory reset. Go to the set-up menu and navigate to information. Make note of your IP address, than go to your computer and type in the IP address. Click settings, then click back-up/recovery. you can save all the settings on your receiver BEFORE you do the factory reset. It won't save your bookmarks for net radio though.
Also, adding /setup to the IP address goes right to the setup where more can be done.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

I mostly use Pandora (plus) and it has worked well on all 3 of mine 2060, 681, &770.

The net radio is a cool feature though. Lots of interesting international stations to explore. :)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Also, adding /setup to the IP address goes right to the setup where more can be done.
Yes it's a very nice feature indeed but I believe it's only available with Yamaha AVR models xx30 and up. It's one of the reasons I'm looking to replace my RX-A2000 and RX-A3000 model(s). Also the backup/recovery feature can be saved to a file on your PC/MAC instead of the AVR's flash memory chip which "little wing" mentioned.

It saved me days of misery after a holiday party at my house, when one of my relatives started pressing buttons randomly on the RX-A3040, trying to power it off. I was going crazy trying to figure out what went wrong. After a half-hour of frustration I just went to setup on the GUI web page and reloaded my last backup. I have multiple backup's of all my pre and post firmware upgrades for just such an occasion.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

highfigh

highfigh

I mostly use Pandora (plus) and it has worked well on all 3 of mine 2060, 681, &770.

The net radio is a cool feature though. Lots of interesting international stations to explore. :)
I don't listen to many radio stations and the one I listen to for music is from Milwaukee School Of Engineering, which is only 5000W but they play the music I like (it's all over the map), They archive their shows, but I listen to it live or to Pandora+, LPs and now, rarely, CDs. Picking up WMSE is dicey with most tuners and I don't feel like jumping through hoops to set up an antenna, so streaming it is great.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I don't listen to many radio stations and the one I listen to for music is from Milwaukee School Of Engineering, which is only 5000W but they play the music I like (it's all over the map),They archive their shows, but I listen to it live or to Pandora+, LPs and now, rarely, CDs. Picking up WMSE is dicey with most tuners and I don't feel like jumping through hoops to set up an antenna, so streaming it is great.
Thanks for the heads up about WMSE; listening to it now.

You may want to check out WWOZ 90.7 in New Orleans if you're into the blues, jazz and the NOLA sound of the 50's & 60's.

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks for the heads up about WMSE; listening to it now.

You may want to check out WWOZ 90.7 in New Orleans if you're into the blues, jazz and the NOLA sound of the 50's & 60's.
Take a look at their archives for live performances, too- they have individuals and full bands perform and they have actually recorded the music for several CDs on-site. Their audio engineer retired from USPS- he had been been working there for quite a while before he retired and he does a really good job. It's mostly volunteers, too- about the only one who's paid is the station manager and he does some great shows, too- usually 3-6PM.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Mine was working this morning, but this is the email I just received from Yamaha if anybody else is still having issues.

Earl,

Currently, Internet Radio connectivity is down on certain network products, Yamaha is aware, and investigating the problem. Unfortunately, at the moment, we have no estimated time for resolution.

However, as we look to resolve the situation and inform those affected by the problem, for the latest update, please visit:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/internet-radio-station-access-issues/index.html.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Well it seems like the vTuner vs. Yamaha war is now official out in the open. As of this afternoon the NET RADIO function on some models, RX-Axx30 and below (re: like my RX-A830, RX-A2000 & RX-A3000) is not available, unless you pay a $3 monthly charge.

Some models RX-Axx40 and above can do a firmware update to get Airable Radio, which personally I think is more user friendly and has more choices than vTuner.
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/internet-radio-station-access-issues/index.html

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2019/0305_av_update_on_internet_radio_station_access.html

Meanwhile I have to listen to my beloved Britannica piss & moan about it. :mad:

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well it seems like the vTuner vs. Yamaha war is now official out in the open. As of this afternoon the NET RADIO function on some models, RX-Axx30 and below (re: like my RX-A830, RX-A2000 & RX-A3000) are not available, unless you pay a $3 monthly charge.

Some models RX-Axx40 and above can do a firmware update to get Airable Radio, which personally I think is more user friendly and has more choices than vTuner.
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/internet-radio-station-access-issues/index.html

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2019/0305_av_update_on_internet_radio_station_access.html

Meanwhile I have to listen to my beloved Britannica piss & moan about it. :mad:
Correction: It's $3 per YEAR! :cool:

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I have TSR-7790 works fine. But about two months ago netradio went out, Yamaha did a firmware update, lost all my favorite channels they did do a switch-a-roo.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Ooops! Still $3 too much :p

I'm tempting fate right now and doing a firmware update on the 830 anyway.

Let us pray!
I'm streaming netradio right now.
Absolute chill-out.com, smooth man.. absolutely free..

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
My cxa5100 is still streaming NET RADIO...no problem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis