Marantz SR6013 heating up room!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All the other bits like processors etc do too ye which is why the marantz processors run quite hot without the power amplifiers in them i guess.
Oh, yeah, no way I could touch the rear-top of my Denon AVP-A1HDCI Pre-pro in the AC-cool closet after a few hours of use.

So I concluded that it's mainly the processing or something else.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, yeah, no way I could touch the rear-top of my Denon AVP-A1HDCI Pre-pro in the AC-cool closet after a few hours of use.

So I concluded that it's mainly the processing or something else.
Specs says 120 V, 2 A, that's 240 VA, or about 240X0.8 = 192 W.

For reference:

The so called "fully balanced outputs" is rated 120 V, 1.2 A, that's about 115 W
The 13 channel AV8805 is rated 90 W

So yes, the Denon AVP is a mini space heater. Don't forget it has a huge numbers of PCM1792 and remember that notoriously hot running Realta HQV video processor that had the best upscaling rating at the time?

That thing really was created on cost, heat and weight no object basis, whether the benefits were audible or not, obviously not for you any more.:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Guys - will the Infinity T10 still be effective if I use it in the closet cabinet?

I dont have any other option unless I start cutting into the cabinet for air flow - see image!
Probably not much since it’s just gonna be pushing the same air around. Is the back open at all? Did you try eco mode yet? Mine is almost the same temperature in eco as off. Surprised me really.
Also, you’ll get much better center channel performance by moving it to the front edge of the cabinet. You’re getting a bunch of interaction I’m sure.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Probably not much since it’s just gonna be pushing the same air around. Is the back open at all? Did you try eco mode yet? Mine is almost the same temperature in eco as off. Surprised me really.
Also, you’ll get much better center channel performance by moving it to the front edge of the cabinet. You’re getting a bunch of interaction I’m sure.
I'm afraid it's a closed cabinet in the back

What do you mean about the center channel??

I'll planning on trying Eco tonight for family movie night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
With some heavy carpentry work I suppose I can punch a hole through the back cabinet into the drywall so some air can travel thru the studs/wall??

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I'm afraid it's a closed cabinet in the back

What do you mean about the center channel??

I'll planning on trying Eco tonight for family movie night!

You need to start cutting, no electronics likes closed spaces.

He means that the center should be at the front not the rear of the cabinet top plate. A big flat surface close to the front of a speaker messes up the sound quite a lot and makes voices much more difficult to hear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
With some heavy carpentry work I suppose I can punch a hole through the back cabinet into the drywall so some air can travel thru the studs/wall??
You could consider using Noctua 5V PWN fan(s) along with their controller to exhaust the air out (or in if you want a dust filter). If you mostly watch TV/movies you can connect the controller to the TV for power.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/recommendation-for-component-cooling.114130/post-1302518

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Specs says 120 V, 2 A, that's 240 VA, or about 240X0.8 = 192 W.

For reference:

The so called "fully balanced outputs" is rated 120 V, 1.2 A, that's about 115 W
The 13 channel AV8805 is rated 90 W

So yes, the Denon AVP is a mini space heater. Don't forget it has a huge numbers of PCM1792 and remember that notoriously hot running Realta HQV video processor that had the best upscaling rating at the time?

That thing really was created on cost, heat and weight no object basis, whether the benefits were audible or not, obviously not for you any more.:D
Lesson learned. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I took the cabinet doors off where the receiver is in our greatroom. Open-front now! :)
I would also suggest putting the AVR on top of the cabinet.

Be mindful of the manufacturer specifications. If it ever needs servicing and they determine heat as a fault, they can and very well may void your warranty over that. Even the cool running Yamahas might not be happy in that environment. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I took the cabinet doors off where the receiver is in our greatroom. Open-front now! :)
I would also suggest putting the AVR on top of the cabinet.

Be mindful of the manufacturer specifications. If it ever needs servicing and they determine heat as a fault, they can and very well may void your warranty over that. Even the cool running Yamahas might not be happy in that environment. :)
I like the doors off idea too...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Often called digital amplifier. They usually run much cooler then class a/b ones.
Just to note, denon and marantz(and other brands for that matter) often run quite hot. I use an ac infinity cooler on my marantz processor but my parasound amp is fine on its own with big cooling ribs, which is somewhat funny.
Same here with me. I have a fan on my Marantz receiver and nothing on my Monolith amp. It runs cooler without any help.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So tonight for watching Marvels Endgame I will need to take the front cabinet doors off! I like it loud!

I will need to drill holes on my next day off, problem is the room is not so big so the entire room gets toasty - I suppose I should crack the window :)

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Another note, I'm assuming the more high end devices connected to the marsntz the more it works out it's processors??

I'm thinking of upgrading to the svs ultra 16 sub. Will it create more heat??

Thanks

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So tonight for watching Marvels Endgame I will need to take the front cabinet doors off!
You can just open the doors for now.
You should still have plenty of room above the unit, but using a fan essentially provided forced air to replace the natural convection you would get in open space.
I am curious, does the remote work even though the AVR is behind the cabinet doors?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Another note, I'm assuming the more high end devices connected to the marsntz the more it works out it's processors??

I'm thinking of upgrading to the svs ultra 16 sub. Will it create more heat??

Thanks

Dont think that will affect anything heat related.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
You can just open the doors for now.
You should still have plenty of room above the unit, but using a fan essentially provided forced air to replace the natural convection you would get in open space.
I am curious, does the remote work even though the AVR is behind the cabinet doors?
I use a Harmony Elite remote with the sensor

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My experience so far is that the amp units will generate a fair amount of heat when in use with eco off. Regardless of the speakers plugged in. The unit also maintains a standby temperature that’s around 78-79°f according to the thermostat of my AC Infinity unit. (If power is off completely to the unit, it will be stone cold.)
Given the avr market, there really is nothing I see available, without spending 2-3x more, that makes much difference In performance. So yes, maybe Yamaha runs cooler, and perhaps that is the ergonomic feature that is most important to you, but then I've also seen some people express some disappointment with other features. That said, @AcuDefTechGuy is a strong proponent for Yamaha.
My room is small, about 2000^3 feet, roughly 11x15' floor space. Without the fan unit on (running Audyssey measurements), I've seen the thermostat get up above 100ºf. Since I use amps on my main 5 channels, the only speakers currently connected to the AVR are the rears. ECO ON helps keep the temp down (as noted previously), and when coupled with the AC Infinity, I rarely see it creep over 81ºF while listening in Stereo. Maybe ~83ºF in full surround.

Some random thoughts: if you want to modify the interior cabinet walls, you could use a hole-saw to cut vent-holes which could have PC cooling fans set up to circulate air inside. You would need to ventilate cabinet doors, too, perhaps... so maybe not the best option.
If you own, you could modify the cabinet doors to have perforated metal screens added to the front. This would give better ventilation. A powder coating facility could do them up in white for you, too. :)
More drastic, if you own... get rid of those cabinets. :) Of course, I'm a bit of a minimalist, and all I wnt on my front wall is the TV and my speakers!

Good subwoofage will help take load off the amps, and actually contribute, perhaps to running a little cooler. I will always recommend having two matching subs... you do not need the biggest and baddest unless you want.

:)

Hope this gives some ideas for helping you brainstorm some other solutions.

Cheers!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would never use a cabinet like that to begin with for electronics. It needs to go or be modified! I don't think I'd go into the wall with mods, tho. Maybe doors off to start.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis