Buying JBL 3.1 Soundbar is it a right decision ?

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Hi Guys,

If you guys can help me give some info on this and help me decide in this dilemma that would be really Great. So I am looking out for a Soundbar and a Sub-Woofer Combo to primarily listen to Music but also Movies this would be using my iPad Pro (For Music mostly Spotify, Apple Music and for Movies there are tons of other APPS and stuff) So I want my BASS to be Pounding, Hammering, Earth Shattering. I am a Hardcore BASS Fan !! I like to be my BASS Heavy, Strong, Tight in your Face kinda thing !! So Far I have been using the JBL Authentics L8 Soundbar (2014 Release Product)

https://www.jbl.com/JBLL8BLKAM.html

Though it does a fairly decent job of performance, I started realizing with my kind of expectation I need an external Sub-Woofer (Period) and so I started scouting for alternate solution.

I am mighty impressed with the BOSE 700 Soundbar and the SUB that comes along with it, But I realize that at this point of time I simply cannot afford it. So I am thinking of an alternate solution and that is the JBL 3.1 Soundbar

https://www.jbl.com/bar-series/JBL+B...ck-USA-Current

I wanted to know from you guys would this be a right step in the right direction ? keeping in mind my requirement ? I generally play my stuff using AIRPLAY on the iPad which the JBL L8 can, but the JBL Soundbar 3.1 does not have an Airplay Feature. However a little birdie tells me Man C'mon get over this !! This Monster called the JBL 3.1 Soundbar is gonna rip apart your concept of Airplay inspite of playing through Bluetooth with its outstanding sound quality(If BASS is what you are looking for nothing can beat the signature sound of JBL) but my concern is will playing Bluetooth over AIRPLAY Technically not playing Inferior Quality Sound ? Even though the Source and quality of the source is the same ?

Should I go with it ? without worrying over playing via Bluetooth and not being able to use and stream it over AIRPLAY ??

Guys Please advise ?

Thanks in Advance !!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Guys,

If you guys can help me give some info on this and help me decide in this dilemma that would be really Great. So I am looking out for a Soundbar and a Sub-Woofer Combo to primarily listen to Music but also Movies this would be using my iPad Pro (For Music mostly Spotify, Apple Music and for Movies there are tons of other APPS and stuff) So I want my BASS to be Pounding, Hammering, Earth Shattering. I am a Hardcore BASS Fan !! I like to be my BASS Heavy, Strong, Tight in your Face kinda thing !! So Far I have been using the JBL Authentics L8 Soundbar (2014 Release Product)

https://www.jbl.com/JBLL8BLKAM.html

Though it does a fairly decent job of performance, I started realizing with my kind of expectation I need an external Sub-Woofer (Period) and so I started scouting for alternate solution.

I am mighty impressed with the BOSE 700 Soundbar and the SUB that comes along with it, But I realize that at this point of time I simply cannot afford it. So I am thinking of an alternate solution and that is the JBL 3.1 Soundbar

https://www.jbl.com/bar-series/JBL+B...ck-USA-Current

I wanted to know from you guys would this be a right step in the right direction ? keeping in mind my requirement ? I generally play my stuff using AIRPLAY on the iPad which the JBL L8 can, but the JBL Soundbar 3.1 does not have an Airplay Feature. However a little birdie tells me Man C'mon get over this !! This Monster called the JBL 3.1 Soundbar is gonna rip apart your concept of Airplay inspite of playing through Bluetooth with its outstanding sound quality(If BASS is what you are looking for nothing can beat the signature sound of JBL) but my concern is will playing Bluetooth over AIRPLAY Technically not playing Inferior Quality Sound ? Even though the Source and quality of the source is the same ?

Should I go with it ? without worrying over playing via Bluetooth and not being able to use and stream it over AIRPLAY ??

Guys Please advise ?

Thanks in Advance !!
Not a lot of love for soundbars here as a general rule.
The sacrifices are significant! Here are maybe the two biggest:
Usually max driver size of around 3" or less
Distance between drivers for R & L channels is limited - generally, an equilateral triangle between the R & L speakers and your listening position is considered ideal, but if the soundbar is 50" wide, you would need to sit less than 4' away from your 75" screen.

That said, if you are stuck with getting a soundbar, JBL is probably one of the best brands to buy (especially if you found a discounted price),so I think that is a good call. It will certainly improve on the sound of the TV speakers.
I also bet the JBL will match or best the Bose system.
Some Bose stuff is not bad, but when you consider the price (and especially if you disassemble it to see the low grade components),the Bose stuff is way overpriced for what you get!

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Link didn’t work for me so I’m not sure of your budget. If your really after serious audio, I would recommend at least taking a serious look at a 3.1 or 2.1 system. And if you love bass as said, invest in a real subwoofer by HSU or Rythmik or SVS etc. this kind of system will get you many more years of much higher quality audio. Maybe like 2 or 3 JBL powered monitors paired with a good sub.
You probably can find an airport express on eBay for cheap if you want to keep using AirPlay. I also use AirPlay a lot.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Link works okay for me, so you might try again.
However the soundbar w/sub he is considering is $500 on sale for $430.
Ok. I’ll try later. I’m on super slow data. Long story...

Ok. Maybe disregard my advice. Although I still feel it’s much better money spent. 500 bucks will NOT do bass like he wants. Maybe he doesn’t know what bass is yet?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. I’ll try later. I’m on super slow data. Long story...

Ok. Maybe disregard my advice. Although I still feel it’s much better money spent. 500 bucks will NOT do bass like he wants. Maybe he doesn’t know what bass is yet?
Yeah, it is all relative!
He said he was impressed by the Bose 700 soundbar with sub.
I typical Bose fashion, they don't make it easy to find out how big (or small) of a driver the sub has! However scaling it to the cabinet size, it is a 10" nominal driver with a rather convoluted port tube (see image below). I'm not sure how such a port tube would affect the sound. Maybe someone like @TLS Guy would have some observations about that port tube in a 11.9X11.9X12.9 cabinet..
The JBL has a 10" driver as well.
The JBL subwoofers I have heard have all been great for music, but definitely not capable of capturing the effects of the deepest LFE, but I bet it is on par with the Bose or better. You don't specify a 10" sub when you want the kind of bass most of us are used to!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, it is all relative!
He said he was impressed by the Bose 700 soundbar with sub.
I typical Bose fashion, they don't make it easy to find out how big (or small) of a driver the sub has! However scaling it to the cabinet size, it is a 10" nominal driver with a rather convoluted port tube (see image below). I'm not sure how such a port tube would affect the sound. Maybe someone like @TLS Guy would have some observations about that port tube in a 11.9X11.9X12.9 cabinet..
The JBL has a 10" driver as well.
The JBL subwoofers I have heard have all been great for music, but definitely not capable of capturing the effects of the deepest LFE, but I bet it is on par with the Bose or better. You don't specify a 10" sub when you want the kind of bass most of us are used to!

Yeah, I was gonna recommend the little JBL sub that was well received here. I am certain it’s better than the blose unit.
Also, yeah the bass “we’re” used to and op is used to, are obviously different. Hoping to open his eyes. Or ears?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis