5 Killer $2k/pair Tower Speakers Compared for 2019

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Recently, Audioholics reviewed five of what we consider to be some of the better speakers in the tower loudspeaker category. In this article, we take an overview of these five speakers and look at what each one brings to the table.
  • RBH Sound R-55E
  • Klipsch RP-8000F
  • B&W 603
  • Paradigm Premier 800F
  • SVS Prime Pinnacle
The price range between $1.5k and $2k seems to be a sweet spot for tower speakers from many of the major speaker manufacturers. There are hundreds if not thousands of choices in this range. We felt this selection of speakers gave a good sampling of what can be achieved at this price point. Each product had it's own associated strengths and weaknesses. We discuss these attributes and give recommendations for getting the best sound from each of these speakers.
5-towers-cv.jpg

Read: 5 Killer Tower Speakers Compared for 2019

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
Good morning, I have never posted before so apologies beforehand. I enjoyed this comparison video very much, and would like to suggest a similar comparison at the 10k/pair price point. I have a R/C/L front that I wish to upgrade (Def Tech Mythos ST-L mains and Def tec 9080 center) with a focus on music. The current system (5.2) also includes an Anthem AVM60/Anthem MCA 525/Def Tech surrounds and a pair of SVS SB 16 subs. My sole source for music is Tidal streamed to the AVM60 using PlayFi with a wireless connection. Room is 16 feet square with a very high ceiling, handled well by ARC. I listen at moderate volume and prefer blues/rock/folk.

I do not have access to listen to most of the speakers I am considering so I rely on reviews (I am quite skeptical of their bias). I'm looking at the Revel 208Be towers (A rated by Stereophile) and the Focal Kanta II (B rated) but am open to suggestions. Gene thank you so much for your objective contributions over the years.

K

king2b

Audioholic Intern
I have had Phase Technology Premier 9.1 tower speakers for years and would never part with them yet they are never counted along with other tower speakers in reviews like the one above. They seem to be a well kept secret which is a shame

S

sakete

Audioholic
Surprised you didn't include the Revel Concerta2 F36 in this shootout

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@shadyJ
Nice to meet you, man! Great to have a face with that name. :)
@Matthew J Poes
Good to see you again: miss you around these here parts!
@gene
Thanks for creating this place! So much great content and a wonderful place to hang out, learn, and share!
Cheers Guys!!!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Great work guys! I love this type of content.

@shadyJ, how did you feel the Pinnacles compared to the Ultras? Assuming you've spent any time with them, of course. I would have loved to see them in the mix too, but understand why you didnt.

Also, my wife says we have enough similar features that we look like we could be related!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Recently, Audioholics reviewed five of what we consider to be some of the better speakers in the tower loudspeaker category. In this article, we take an overview of these five speakers and look at what each one brings to the table.
  • RBH Sound R-55E
  • Klipsch RP-8000F
  • B&W 603
  • Paradigm Premier 800F
  • SVS Prime Pinnacle
The price range between $1.5k and $2k seems to be a sweet spot for tower speakers from many of the major speaker manufacturers. There are hundreds if not thousands of choices in this range. We felt this selection of speakers gave a good sampling of what can be achieved at this price point. Each product had it's own associated strengths and weaknesses. We discuss these attributes and give recommendations for getting the best sound from each of these speakers.
View attachment 30209

Read: 5 Killer Tower Speakers Compared for 2019
Do those speakers have bookshelf versions?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I enjoyed this comparison video very much, and would like to suggest a similar comparison at the 10k/pair price point.
It would be cool to do a similar round up of $10k speakers, but it's not likely to happen, because $10k speakers tend to be heavier and larger than I can actually mount my measuring platform to test. I would rather focus on speakers that I can actually measure.
Great work guys! I love this type of content.

@shadyJ, how did you feel the Pinnacles compared to the Ultras? Assuming you've spent any time with them, of course. I would have loved to see them in the mix too, but understand why you didnt.
I haven't heard the Ultra towers, sorry.
Do those speakers have bookshelf versions?
All of these speakers have bookshelf speaker siblings.
@shadyJ
Nice to meet you, man! Great to have a face with that name. :)
Thanks but I don't do live interviews as well as I had hoped. I was horrifically inarticulate in that video! I wish we could do a do-over!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks but I don't do live interviews as well as I had hoped. I was horrifically inarticulate in that video! I wish we could do a do-over!
LOL, didn't get to finish the vid yet, but I will. :)
The first time I did live improv was a mess. Can't hide behind the jazz band... gotta stand up and blow. And in my case, I blew. Bad. :p Two years later in competition I won a soloist award with my Soprano Sax in a marching band competition with 7 or 8 other schools from our division. Just me and a tiny brass cone, in between 60 people in the band, and hundreds in the stands! ;)
Soon, you'll be outshing Gene and Hugo! :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It would be cool to do a similar round up of $10k speakers, but it's not likely to happen, because $10k speakers tend to be heavier and larger than I can actually mount my measuring platform to test. I would rather focus on speakers that I can actually measure.

I haven't heard the Ultra towers, sorry.

All of these speakers have bookshelf speaker siblings.

We mostly understood what you guys were trying to communicate us. Although for me some of it was kind of technical, but I think got the basis of what you all were saying,.

Thanks

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
A 10K tower competition would be great. Harman recently had an internal competition with the Magico A3, Revel F228Be, and Paradigm Persona 3F and "surprise" the Revel speaker won. A legit 3rd party test would seem less dubious.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A 10K tower competition would be great. Harman recently had an internal competition with the Magico A3, Revel F228Be, and Paradigm Persona 3F and "surprise" the Revel speaker won. I legit 3rd party test would seem less dubious.
Can we put those up against a Salk SS9.5, please?! I’d be willing to host the trials here, I have a field and access to a tractor with a fork attachment to do the heavy lifting. :) I’d even be willing to lend my Phil 3s to the cause... it’s been said they should compete easily at that level! :)

K

Kursun

Enthusiast
Having two mid-range drivers as in RBH Sound R-55 is absolutely an unwanted feature.
Utilising more than one driver in mid-range and tweeter frequencies produces severe interference effects which result in uneven frequency response.
I assume neither RBH nor the reviever have any knowledge of loudspeaker design basics!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Having two mid-range drivers as in RBH Sound R-55 is absolutely an unwanted feature.
Utilising more than one driver in mid-range and tweeter frequencies produces severe interference effects which result in uneven frequency response.
I assume neither RBH nor the reviever have any knowledge of loudspeaker design basics!
Agreed! What are these guys thinking?! Two mid-range drivers, who ever heard of such a silly idea! They don't know a thing!:p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis