Looking to Upgrade L/C/R Speakers

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
I currently have GoldenEar SuperSat 3's in the L/C/R positions. I am looking for upgrade suggestions. Bookshelf speakers with stands would be my preference but not set in stone at this point. My budget is approximately $1200 - $1500 total. Unfortunately I have a dimension restriction on the center channel that cannot exceed 17.25" in width. I know this is not a good thing especially if I want to keep them all the same brand. Does anyone have any experience with the RSL CG25 Monitors? The reason I ask is that their CG23 center speaker will fit into my space. I appreciate any suggestions.

PS: Even thought my budget is up to $1500 doesn't mean I have to spend it all :D. I guess I am also looking for the best bang for the buck.

My current setup
Marantz SR6013
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 Amp
LG OLEDC9PUA
Sony UBP-X800
GoldenEar SuperSat 3's L/C/R and Surround L/R
RSL c34e height speakers x2
SVS PC-2000 x2 Subwoofer

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
how big is your space and how far do sit from speakers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I currently have GoldenEar SuperSat 3's in the L/C/R positions. I am looking for upgrade suggestions. Bookshelf speakers with stands would be my preference but not set in stone at this point. My budget is approximately $1200 - $1500 total. Unfortunately I have a dimension restriction on the center channel that cannot exceed 17.25" in width. I know this is not a good thing especially if I want to keep them all the same brand. Does anyone have any experience with the RSL CG25 Monitors? The reason I ask is that their CG23 center speaker will fit into my space. I appreciate any suggestions.

PS: Even thought my budget is up to $1500 doesn't mean I have to spend it all :D. I guess I am also looking for the best bang for the buck.

My current setup
Marantz SR6013
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 Amp
LG OLEDC9PUA
Sony UBP-X800
SVS PC-2000 x2 Subwoofer
You have an amp that can drive 4 ohms, low sensitivity speakers (to a point..), that's a good thing. The not so good news is that $1,500 doesn't go very far for a set of L/C/R that can take advantage of your nice AVR/power amp.

In the lower end of the price spectrum, Andrew Jones speakers may be a safe bet.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/elac-debut-b6-loudspeaker-measurements
https://www.elac.com/product/b6-2/

Their center speakers are too width for you but if you may be able to use 3 identical speakers, if height is not an issue.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Considering the other components that are good quality, you might want to save up $2500 for LCR. Otherwise you probably just get in a speaker upgrade cycle every couple years. YMMV.

R

rdkusher

Audioholic Intern
ascend acoustics is having a summer sale right now.you can get a pair of piano black sierra 1's and a sierra center at the lower end of your budget.a bit lower if you go with the satin finishes.the sierra 1 center is a sierra 1 on it's side with a rotated tweeter and a full length grill.the width is just over 14 inches so it will fit your space easily.they are fantastic speakers well worth a look.

K

kini

Full Audioholic

My current setup
Marantz SR6013
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 Amp
LG OLEDC9PUA
Sony UBP-X800
SVS PC-2000 x2 Subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/rsl-cg5-cg25-speedwoofer-10s-5-2-system-review/

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
14ft from speakers is quite a large distance for sound to travel from a pair of tiny speakers. In your humble budget, I'd highly recommend looking into highly efficient speakers like these:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html
3x of these should give you plenty of sound. Now about the center, matching HC-1 center won't fit in your restrictions, but you could just grab a 3rd bookshelf and put in on side if the vertical way doesn't fit.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
14ft from speakers is quite a large distance for sound to travel from a pair of tiny speakers. In your humble budget, I'd highly recommend looking into highly efficient speakers like these:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html
3x of these should give you plenty of sound. Now about the center, matching HC-1 center won't fit in your restrictions, but you could just grab a 3rd bookshelf and put in on side if the vertical way doesn't fit.
Wow, these are well under budget. I will take a closer look at these. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My budget is approximately $1200 - $1500 total. Unfortunately I have a dimension restriction on the center channel that cannot exceed 17.25" in width. r
Take a look at a set of Hsu Research CCB-8s for that width restriction.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@hifihillbilly
Yes, While I heard HB1, I haven't heard CCB-8s. James did and he liked them a lot. these should sound better for music than HB-1. Both should provide you with nice upgrade

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
The center channel will be placed inside an opening of my AV cabinet. Wonder if this would present any issues with the rear port of the CCB-8s? I have read reviews on these speakers and they are rated very highly.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The center channel will be placed inside an opening of my AV cabinet. Wonder if this would present any issues with the rear port of the CCB-8s? I have read reviews on these speakers and they are rated very highly.
The interior of the AV cabinet can give the speaker some additional bass loading, but if it is too much, the CCB-8s have port plugs which will temper the bass response to make it play nice in tight spaces like that.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
The interior of the AV cabinet can give the speaker some additional bass loading, but if it is too much, the CCB-8s have port plugs which will temper the bass response to make it play nice in tight spaces like that.
I did not realize the ports could be plugged. These will deifinitely be on my short list. Thanks

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
For that listening distance, I would try and get the JBL 590/580 if they’re still on sale. Seems I saw that infinity makes a center that would match closely enough to timbre wise. I haven’t heard the HSU speakers, but I’m 15’ from my mains, and I feel fortunate that they’re pretty sensitive(92db) large towers.

Oh yeah, could you build a riser for the display that the center could go in front of? I don’t think the cubby is a great idea. You might resolve the bass issue involved but the center channel gets MUCH more than bass.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
I wish I was able to audition some of the suggested speakers but unfortunately I can't. So, the final two choices for my L/C/R are the Hsu CCB-8's or the RSL CG25's (CG23 for the center). According to Joe @ RSL the CG23 will match well with the CG25's. Any last words of wisdom from you folks who may have experience with these speakers? Has anyone conducted a side-by-side comparison? Thanks again and Cheers!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wish I was able to audition some of the suggested speakers but unfortunately I can't. So, the final two choices for my L/C/R are the Hsu CCB-8's or the RSL CG25's (CG23 for the center). According to Joe @ RSL the CG23 will match well with the CG25's. Any last words of wisdom from you folks who may have experience with these speakers? Has anyone conducted a side-by-side comparison? Thanks again and Cheers!!!
Different kinds of speakers. The Hsu are relatively narrow directivity speakers, and the RSL speakers will be wide directivity speakers. Each design has its advantages. One advantage that the Hsu center will have is no lobing from horizontally aligned drivers. The CCB-8 center is a true match for the left and rights. That isn't ever the case for horizontal MTM center speakers, unless the front left and right are horizontal MTMs as well.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
Different kinds of speakers. The Hsu are relatively narrow directivity speakers, and the RSL speakers will be wide directivity speakers. Each design has its advantages. One advantage that the Hsu center will have is no lobing from horizontally aligned drivers. The CCB-8 center is a true match for the left and rights. That isn't ever the case for horizontal MTM center speakers, unless the front left and right are horizontal MTMs as well.
The Hsu CCB-8's design definitely peaked my interest. I just don't know if I could properly set them up regarding distance from wall(s) etc.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s beyond 30 degrees from center that the lobing occurs on MTM centers?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Can you propose any rules of thumb about narrow vs wide directivity in the context of how live the reflections in the room are?
I honestly don't know, but generally assume a very reflective room is better matched with narrow directivity, and a less reflective room (lots of carpet and drapes, etc) is better suited to a wide directivity!? What are your thoughts?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis