Yamaha and Ascend Acoustics Trends

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
So I have noticed a rend on here with Yamaha owners and/or Ascend Acoustics owners. They seem to aggressively sell you on these two products and if you post anything negative these owners get very defensive. They also seem to be very adamant that these products are far superior to anything else and are quite vocal about it. I am not trying to start a negative post here, but I have noticed that the trend seems to come from the owners of these particular manufacturers more than others. I was wondering why this was? Either by circumstance or some history I am not aware of regarding Yamaha or Ascend Acoustics here on Audioholics I’m not sure. It is something I have noticed is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know many Ascend owners here on AH.

Have you tried saying anything negative about Salk or Philharmonic speakers?

The same could be said of many other loudspeaker owners. People get passionate.

I think there are a lot more owners of D/M than Yamaha.

It's a discussion forum. So I am sure there are plenty of debates, especially when people get passionate about the products they own.

Give us some examples of "getting defensive". Hopefully it wasn't me. :D

And hopefully this doesn't sound too defensive or offensive. :D

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So I have noticed a rend on here with Yamaha owners and/or Ascend Acoustics owners. They seem to aggressively sell you on these two products and if you post anything negative these owners get very defensive. They also seem to be very adamant that these products are far superior to anything else and are quite vocal about it. I am not trying to start a negative post here, but I have noticed that the trend seems to come from the owners of these particular manufacturers more than others. I was wondering why this was? Either by circumstance or some history I am not aware of regarding Yamaha or Ascend Acoustics here on Audioholics I’m not sure. It is something I have noticed is all.

The term to describe this behavior is "fanboy"

Yammy is just one of those companies that tends to be rock-solid! I don't own much Yammy gear right now, but I used to have an AVR that I loved. They have never let me down and they have one of the best reliability records, so it is easy to like and rec their gear.

Somewhat related, but Asus is another of these companies that has never let me down yet, and I own a LOT of Asus gear. I am definitely an Asus fanboy ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am definitely an Asus fanboy ;)
I tend to be the opposite with Asus.

First time I bought a sound card from Asus for DTS-HD MA, it wouldn't work no matter how hard to tried.

Then I bought an Asus motherboard for one of my many PC builds. I can't recall what happened now, but I do know something went wrong with it a year later.

Then I bought an Asus laptop. Really nice looking i5 laptop. The thing kept on freezing up. Thank goodness I only had it for a day. So I returned it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Have you tried saying anything negative about Salk or Philharmonic speakers?
Watch yourself! :mad:

:rolleyes::p:cool:

I would agree to most of that. I think maybe it’s Peng who likes to point out people recommend most what they have. Of course, I can’t recommend Philharmonic to anybody... but do I encourage people to explore Salk? Yes. I do the same based on what I’ve learned about Ascend.
I would say that for these ID-model cats, their business lives and dies by word of mouth. The people who are customers of them know and understand well and want to see continued success for the humans they interacted with.
I recommend Monitor Audio a lot too and was very close to being an owner... but unlike talking to Dennis or Jim, there isn’t that personal connection. Do I know MA to make solid, well performing speakers? Yes, and I share that. Will they close up shop if they build 1 lemon out of 20000 speakers? No.
Jim, Dennis, and Dave on the other hand... how does botching an order affect their business if they only did 1000 speakers in one year?

Now when it comes to the electronics, to me, that makes less sense, but you do see it. I’ve noticed it around NAD especially. And course there’s this one guy (in OK, I think) who really loves Yamaha! :p:cool: But unless you’ve got a complete Mcintosh or bryston or other boutique brand of electronics, I find that loyalty and unwillingness to accept other viewpoints a little tiresome. :)
Similarly, don’t ask the guy with two Porsche’s and a Ferrari in his garage for advice on buying a Honda or Toyota. ;)

That said: fight the battle by getting exposure to as many different products as you can, and be willing to learn something new!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watch yourself! :mad::rolleyes::p:cool:
....people recommend most what they have...

And course there’s this one guy (in OK, I think) who really loves Yamaha! :p:cool:
Haha! :D

Yeah, people will recommend even to their families and friends the same brands they trust.

And, see, I'm pretty smart. I try to buy the same brands that Gene buys so that I can sort of hide behind Gene. :p;):D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see much commentary about Ascend here actually, must have missed some. I do recommend Ascend occasionally, have several of their speakers, but I don't push them particularly.

I think the Yamaha fanboys are easily identified, they start calling it yammy as if thinking of yams and audio go together....not sure if old man Torakusu Yamaha would care for his name shortened (altho sales probably would help alleviate the pain). :) ADTG has been pushing Yamaha quite a bit, helped by MCode's info about one particular industry survey putting them at the top of the reliability list. Of course, he used to do the same for Denon (and probably Acurus and DefTec) :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see much commentary about Ascend here actually, must have missed some. I do recommend Ascend occasionally, have several of their speakers, but I don't push them particularly.

I think the Yamaha fanboys are easily identified, they start calling it yammy as if thinking of yams and audio go together....not sure if old man Torakusu Yamaha would care for his name shortened (altho sales probably would help alleviate the pain). :) ADTG has been pushing Yamaha quite a bit, helped by MCode's info about one particular industry survey putting them at the top of the reliability list. Of course, he used to do the same for Denon (and probably Acurus and DefTec) :)
Haha. Did I ever recommend DefTech? I did, didn't I? Yikes. Please don't bring up any of those posts back then. :eek::D

I guess I recommended Acurus until the day TLS Guy said those amps would blow up speakers. :eek::D

Yeah, I think we're all guilty of recommending what we currently own because we tend to know those brands well.......until we don't. :D

I didn't even know that Yamaha was a name of a guy! So I think that makes me NOT a fanboy. :cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Haha. Did I ever recommend DefTech? I did, didn't I? Yikes. Please don't bring up any of those posts back then. :eek::D

I guess I recommended Acurus until the day TLS Guy said those amps would blow up speakers. :eek::D

Yeah, I think we're all guilty of recommending what we currently own because we tend to know those brands well.......until we don't. :D

I didn't even know that Yamaha was a name of a guy! So I think that makes me NOT a fanboy. :cool:
So if you had to choose a new handle today, would it be "AtiYamMan"? :D

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief

We (most of us) recommend stuff we have had good experiences with.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m sure Denon is great too, but I’m happy with my Yamaha gear. It’s Coke vs Pepsi. You can’t go wrong with either.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Unless its Pepsi Crystal, or New Coke!
View attachment 30093
I was Also going to make a Nee Cole comment...

I have Tapatalk so the two audio forums I belong to feed through the same app, but there was a post here or there a while back where a guy did a side x side test of Ascend speakers vs B&W. When he said the winner was B&W all the Ascend “fanboys” jumped into the thread and crucified the guy. I felt bad for him. It drives me nuts how defensive people get about their gear.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

I have Tapatalk so the two audio forums I belong to feed through the same app, but there was a post here or there a while back where a guy did a side x side test of Ascend speakers vs B&W. When he said the winner was B&W all the Ascend “fanboys” jumped into the thread and crucified the guy. I felt bad for him. It drives me nuts how defensive people get about their gear.

Depending on which B&Ws, I'd get mad too, perhaps! ;) Hated what I heard in the 600 series towers, but each person has their own style and preferences. I also hated DTs: they have their loyal following too. :p

On another note, one very interesting thing that Dennis said about his BMRs is that he was afraid people wouldn't be into such a neutral and accurate sound. Ascend shares the same type of quality as well. Compared to the B&W60X Tower review Shady just did... you can see a significant difference in how a speakers performance can really alter the experience. I would agree that Neutral and Accurate might not be for everybody. Kudos to him if he really gave them a fair shake before settling on B&W... but then was he dwelling in the beginner level, or comparing them to the 80Xs? BIG difference there!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

So you're not sure if it was AH? I don't remember such a comparison but who knows without a link?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaking of tapatalk, tho....can you please remove the annoying ad from your signature there? PUHLEASE.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I doubt it was on AH.

Here we might disagree, but we don’t crucify anyone for preferring B&W.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
The Ascend vs B&W thread was on AVS, not here.

And it was posted over a year ago.

Which makes the original post in this thread all the more puzzling.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
The Ascend vs B&W thread was on AVS, not here.

And it was posted over a year ago.

Which makes the original post in this thread all the more puzzling.
It may have started a year ago, but it was still being commented on a couple months ago...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis