Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a rhetorical question in this context. I love watching science videos and every once in a while I see stuff about audio or video and love to share.

He breaks down the human eye, how it works and how it perceives detail. In most cases you'd have to be so close that the edges of the screen would fall outside your field of view.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
I fear 8k will go the way of 3D. There just isn't a solid consumer use case for 8k.

I suppose we'll see what the marketing folks come up with.

Do t get me wrong. I'd like to have an 8k display, but not without easily available media.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I fear 8k will go the way of 3D. There just isn't a solid consumer use case for 8k.

I suppose we'll see what the marketing folks come up with.
Well, my 200" 8k OLED wall says otherwise!

j/k :)

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe 8k TVs will lower the price on a bigger 4K TV for me. :)

I could go for an 82in 4K to replace my 65in. someday. :)

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic

This is exactly what I'm going for as well!

Daddy needs a new panel, and a 77" 4k oled seems perfect...when they are a bit cheaper.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There comes a point where the eye just can't appreciate more detail. Dunno if we've reached that point yet. Afterall, Apple said their Retina display was supposed to be as much as the eye could detect... and now there's Super Retina or something like that? o_O
I'm certain I'm oversimplifying and confusing issues in my mind, but I also don't think 8K will be in full swing for many years to come, probably, just due to the cost. I'm fully prepared to enjoy my 4K for at least the next 3-5! :) I suspect OLED will become much more affordable before 8K does, too.
Just my 2¢.
Cheers!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
8k may come in useful in VR which nearly does cover the viewer's entire field of view. Computer resolutions are positioned to take advantage of 8k right away. The only problem is the processing power needed to render 8k environments. You are going to need a hell of a PC.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We'll know that 8K is for real when all the AVRs are equipped with 8K processing. :D

Right now I haven't heard of any AVR or Pre-pro bragging about 8K yet.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
We'll know that 8K is for real when all the AVRs are equipped with 8K processing. :D

They may not get to that until IMAX catches on! :oops::p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They may not get to that until IMAX catches on! :oops::p
IMAX commercial theaters?

They already have 8K commercial theaters.

To me, it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't mind if my future Native-8K JVC projector has to convert 4K BD to 8K (due to lack of 8K contents). I still get to brag about my 8K Home Theater. :p:p:p

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

To me, it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't mind if my future 8K JVC projector has to convert 4K to 8K. I still get to brag about my 8K Home Theater. :p:p:p
Hmm. If my TV forces me to an AVR with new hdmi standard again, I’ll just be returning the TV. LOL :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
There comes a point where the eye just can't appreciate more detail. Dunno if we've reached that point yet. Afterall, Apple said their Retina display was supposed to be as much as the eye could detect... and now there's Super Retina or something like that? o_O
I'm certain I'm oversimplifying and confusing issues in my mind, but I also don't think 8K will be in full swing for many years to come, probably, just due to the cost. I'm fully prepared to enjoy my 4K for at least the next 3-5! :) I suspect OLED will become much more affordable before 8K does, too.
Just my 2¢.
Cheers!
My 2016 TV won’t retire but simply move to another room and replace a smaller 2009 TV. NHL 2021 (Seattle expansion) or when the 2009 TV dies is the timeframe for me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
8k may come in useful in VR which nearly does cover the viewer's entire field of view. Computer resolutions are positioned to take advantage of 8k right away. The only problem is the processing power needed to render 8k environments. You are going to need a hell of a PC.
Now that's interesting and an application I didn't think of. I could see even exceeding that for hi res vr.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

To me, it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't mind if my future Native-8K JVC projector has to convert 4K BD to 8K (due to lack of 8K contents). I still get to brag about my 8K Home Theater. :p:p:p
Reminds me of a bit told from a comic I was watching.

Mom: you need to go to college
Him: Why? I already have a job
Mom: So you can say that you went to college
Him: I can say that now. Just because it isn't true doesn't mean I can't say it

Not suggesting you tell people about your "8k theater", but you could...if you wanted to...:)

In all seriousness, I think it's part marketing like 3D (as someone stated) and part natural evolution of HD. Just like 4K, we need content. If we don't have content, then it's pointless. "Upscaling" to 8K probably wouldn't do much of anything.

Once there is content, then us projector people could benefit if we have a large enough screen, but other than that I think it's pointless.

Now, as @shadyJ stated, the PC world can benefit, especially VR, but I view VR as a fad as well. Just like 3D, not that many people want to ware something on their face just to play a game/watch a movie. I sure don't.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Reminds me of a bit told from a comic I was watching.

Mom: you need to go to college
Him: Why? I already have a job
Mom: So you can say that you went to college
Him: I can say that now. Just because it isn't true doesn't mean I can't say it
Well, a big part of this hobby is about pride of ownership. It's not about bragging to others. It's about feeling good about what we actually have even when there is no one around. It is different for everyone.

It's about pricing too.

The JVC NX5 4K PJ retails $6K now.

If JVC comes out with a native 8K PJ that retails $6K, you bet it's going to be sitting in my HT room. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Isn't it an upgrade option when available for the new Denon 8500? Thought I'd read that....

As to 8k for me, lol, still haven't gone 4k.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Isn't it an upgrade option when available for the new Denon 8500? Thought I'd read that....

As to 8k for me, lol, still haven't gone 4k.
It's suppose to be a Hardware update (HDMI 2.1, 8K video), which means people will have to ship this big heavy AVR to some place (I hope to gods it's not Panurgy :eek:).

And I don't think it's FREE either. Like back when they offered the hardware upgrade from Audyssey XT to XT32 for only $1,200. :D

4K/8K is a game people play. :D

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

In a similar boat...I have two 4k sets, a 65, and 55 and rarely watch 4k content...not bad on Ethernet, but on wifi trying to watch 4k in the sunroom is a joke.

The loft still has a 60" plasma and I intend to give that to my son and buy a 75 or 75+ 4k someday...sooner than later hopefully :).

There will not be enough 8k content out there to justify one for at least a decade based on the pace of 4k content. With no govt mandate, the over the air networks are not even going to venture into 4k in the short term.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
In a similar boat...I have two 4k sets, a 65, and 55 and rarely watch 4k content...not bad on Ethernet, but on wifi trying to watch 4k in the sunroom is a joke.

The loft still has a 60" plasma and I intend to give that to my son and buy a 75 or 75+ 4k someday...sooner than later hopefully :).

There will not be enough 8k content out there to justify one for at least a decade based on the pace of 4k content. With no govt mandate, the over the air networks are not even going to venture into 4k in the short term.
At the rate things are going, the only 8K sources will be streaming anyway..probably. I seriously doubt we'll see 8K discs any time soon if at all. I agree, it'll be a while before anything comes of 8K other than the displays.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis