Speaker Recommendations for Living Room Audio

T

TryNihilism

Audiophyte
Hi, so I am looking to buy some speakers for the living room in my apartment next year. Unfortunately, I do not know the size of my living room yet, as we have not yet picked an apartment, but I am fairly sure that it will be a "medium"-sized living room, likely with low ceilings. Therefore, I am considering floorstanding and bookshelf speakers.

I want a 2.1 setup, and I already have a subwoofer (a KRK 10s 10"). I also have an old receiver that should do the trick for now, but I am willing to upgrade it if that is where my money can be best spent. I want the setup to sound best with music, but also good for home theater purposes. My budget is $1000 max, but I would love to spend less.

I have been looking at klipsch floorstanding options, and at the fluance signature floorstanders, but I'm not even sure if floorstanding speakers are my best option, as I do not necessarily need good bass response from the R L speakers as I already have a sub.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might as well do bookshelf speakers since you already have a sub. In $1k, I would be looking at Revel Concerto2 M16 speakers, Outlaw Audio BLSv2, Ascend Acoustic Sierra, SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers, Hsu Research CCB-8s, Paradigm Premier speakers, just to name a few solid choices.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You might as well do bookshelf speakers since you already have a sub. In $1k, I would be looking at Revel Concerto2 M16 speakers, Outlaw Audio BLSv2, Ascend Acoustic Sierra, SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers, Hsu Research CCB-8s, Paradigm Premier speakers, just to name a few solid choices.
@TryNihilism
I don't believe in speakers.

:p

And I agree with Shady. Good recommendations there. :)

T

TryNihilism

Audiophyte
Thanks, I will check those out. Do you think I would be better served getting a better receiver and slightly cheaper speakers though?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, I will check those out. Do you think I would be better served getting a better receiver and slightly cheaper speakers though?
Unless there is something starting to be wonky with your receiver, speakers will give you the sound quality upgrade.

What is your receiver?

T

TryNihilism

Audiophyte
Unless there is something starting to be wonky with your receiver, speakers will give you the sound quality upgrade.

What is your receiver?
It is an old onkyo from 2006. I forget the model number but I believe it is 7.1 channel 75W. As far as I know it works fine, but I haven't used it in a few years.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You've given yourself a good chunk of time to work on this. Make a point to check out your receiver and be certain its still working. A good receiver can be a chunk of change. That said, don't short change yourself on good speakers. No receiver will make up for shortcuts there.
Cheers!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For a 2.1 system, you don't need all the features that a pricey AVR has. You might be served by a more powerful amplifier if you like to listen at loud levels though. Most of the speakers I recommended aren't $1k, so that might give you room in your budget for a step up in receiver quality. But the overall sound quality is far more determined by speakers than receiver.

T

TryNihilism

Audiophyte
I can't find much about the cantons online. Do you have any references endorsing these / talking about their sound signature? Thanks!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I can't find much about the cantons online. Do you have any references endorsing these / talking about their sound signature? Thanks!
The Chrono version that I owned were articulate, smooth, rich, and detailed sounding. Forum member KEW is also a fan of the Canton Chrono series. The 536 that I linked is a newer more modern version that has an updated woofer and much better built cabinet -- if you want to spend more for them, then they are around $1400 at Sound Approach, and Sound Approach may give you 10 to 15% off. But AC4L has them brand new for over 1/2 off
https://soundapproach.com/canton-chrono-sl-536-bookshelf-speakers-pair.html

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Emotiva T1s/T2s are a great value buy right now if you don't mind the aesthetics.

T

TryNihilism

Audiophyte
The Chrono version that I owned were articulate, smooth, rich, and detailed sounding. Forum member KEW is also a fan of the Canton Chrono series. The 536 that I linked is a newer more modern version that has an updated woofer and much better built cabinet -- if you want to spend more for them, then they are around $1400 at Sound Approach, and Sound Approach may give you 10 to 15% off. But AC4L has them brand new for over 1/2 off
My worry with the chronos is that they are expensive to return (10% I believe) if I end up not liking them. Also, matte is a preferable finish for me so the glossy aesthetic is eh. I am considering the B&W 607's or 606's. Any thoughts on those? Would I be sacrificing bang for buck by going with B&W over some lesser known brand?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
B&w 600 series has issues. You can do better. :)
Edit: have a moment, now: My auditions last year left me puzzled as to why so many people held B&W in such high regard: I did not hear anything great from the 600 series speakers I listened too. I was so underwhelmed, I didn't even take notes!
I had a better experience with KEF Q Series, even though they weren't right for me either.
When I heard the B&Ws, I also listened to Martin Logan Motion Series, which to me were fabulous, though a little overpriced IMO, as they did not outperform Monitor Audio Silver Series at a slightly lower price point.
Depending on your ultimate budget and goals, I would suggest looking at the SVS gear, too. Many happy Ultra owners out there. Also, Ascend Acoustics. Their Sierra line is very well respected and well worth exploring.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
Hi, so I am looking to buy some speakers for the living room in my apartment next year. Unfortunately, I do not know the size of my living room yet, as we have not yet picked an apartment, but I am fairly sure that it will be a "medium"-sized living room, likely with low ceilings. Therefore, I am considering floorstanding and bookshelf speakers.

I want a 2.1 setup, and I already have a subwoofer (a KRK 10s 10"). I also have an old receiver that should do the trick for now, but I am willing to upgrade it if that is where my money can be best spent. I want the setup to sound best with music, but also good for home theater purposes. My budget is $1000 max, but I would love to spend less.

I have been looking at klipsch floorstanding options, and at the fluance signature floorstanders, but I'm not even sure if floorstanding speakers are my best option, as I do not necessarily need good bass response from the R L speakers as I already have a sub.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks
RSL CG5 or CG25
https://rslspeakers.com/cg5-overview/#all-products

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
My worry with the chronos is that they are expensive to return (10% I believe) if I end up not liking them.
do you not have a brick and mortar store that you can go and listen ? IMO speakers are way to personal to go by recommendation alone.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
IMO speakers are way to personal to go by recommendation alone.
This is true. No short changing research and experience. I read reviews and researched for about 6 months before I ever went on an audition. Most reviews are too subjective. Best is when you can find multiple reviews that agree on certain points/descriptions. My recommendation is to read some, then read reviews of what they compare too, and then read the next level of comparisons if possible. I'm not suggesting you believe what they say, but when you get the chance to listen to any of them, you will begin to build on the theoretical knowledge given you by these other descriptions. When you apply your own experience to that, you can begin to build a more complete picture of what you may like and want! :)

I try to only cautiously recommend my speakers, especially now that they are more expensive than when I bought them from the guy that designed them. I love the BMRs, and even at the current cost as offered by Salk Sound, I think they are easily worth it! Is a neutral speaker with flat FR right for everybody? Maybe not. Do I find them to easily be among the best I've heard? YES! Their big brothers, the Philharmonic 3s are equally astounding and better at some things.

Cheers!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis