SVS elevation positioning.

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
I definitely appreciate my SVS elevation speakers but after listening to some movies I believe it would have been more ideal to get the ceiling mounts and move them a couple of feet away from the wall towards me. I think the Atmos sounds would sound more discernable that way.

I suppose I could put the work in to reposition to the ceiling & rewire. I notice that the very end of my living room rail light might obstruct the right side depending on how far away from the wall I go.

Perhaps next spring I'll look at doing this.

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Snapshot of your whole system please. I see 3.1.2 set up in the photo. Do you have Surrounds? Rears?

FWIW, Front Height speakers are lower on the list when it comes to Atmos. Your most bang will come from Top Front and Top Back positioning. For Atmos to be at its best... you really need to have that 5.x Bed Layer nailed down.
If you have to wait a bit... here is Dolby's 5.1.2 recommendation:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.2-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html
If you can get an extra pair of Elevations, this is the recommended way to get best experience we can have in most homes with most AVRs:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

I would redo the positioning so your elevations are on the wall, L/R, and slightly in front of your LP as shown in the 5.1.2 diagram. If/when you can go to 5.x.4, your experience should jump up, too.

Hope this helps!

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Snapshot of your whole system please. I see 3.1.2 set up in the photo. Do you have Surrounds? Rears?

FWIW, Front Height speakers are lower on the list when it comes to Atmos. Your most bang will come from Top Front and Top Back positioning. For Atmos to be at its best... you really need to have that 5.x Bed Layer nailed down.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.2-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html
If you can get an extra pair of Elevations, this is the recommended way to get best experience we can have in most homes with most AVRs:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

I would redo the positioning so your elevations are on the wall, L/R, and slightly in front of your LP as shown in the 5.1.2 diagram. If/when you can go to 5.x.4, your experience should jump up, too.

Hope this helps!
This is great advice!

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic

Hope this helps!
5.1.2 is what I'm running. Two satellites to my rear for surrounds. Yes, after looking at the link you provided I can definitely say I should move them away from the wall by a few feet or so.

Attachments

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
5.1.2 is what I'm running. Two satellites to my rear for surrounds.
Cool. Just follow, if you can and want to, the set up advice per the Dolby 5.1.2 link, and reset your AVR/AVP to match that Top Front usage. If you choose, get another pair and go 5.1.4 if you can, by adding the Top Back position as shown in the other Dolby link. :)
I'm going to be building my Atmos speakers soon and going 7.2.4. :cool: #eager

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just follow the set up advice per the Dolby link
In terms of having wall mounted speakers... just match positioning as best as possible in front and behind your LP. You don't have to hang those from your ceiling to work. Mine won't be.

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
Cool. Just follow, if you can and want to, the set up advice per the Dolby 5.1.2 link, and reset your AVR/AVP to match that Top Front usage. If you choose, get another pair and go 5.1.4 if you can, by adding the Top Back position as shown in the other Dolby link. :)
I'm going to be building my Atmos speakers soon and going 7.2.4. :cool: #eager
I definitely need to move them away from the wall by a few feet and mount to the ceiling after looking at the link you posted. Ugh! More work! I just finished this like a month ago. LoL!

I honestly don't have much space for another two Atmos speakers and I'm limited by my AVR anyhow. I'm satisfied with 5.1.2 for my living space. I just need to reposition these elevations for a better effect.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There's nothing wrong with having wall mounted Atmos. Like I said, that's what I'll be doing. Hell, I had to mount my rears on the wall and above a closet. Part of our process is working with the surroundings we have. (As much as I would like to wave a wand and *Poof have a custom HT/Listening Lab that's acoustically perfect... :rolleyes:)
Ceiling mounts can be troublesome, too. I think you'll be surprised, though, what pulling those back to the Top Front location on the wall will offer.
Most describe that .4 Atmos as creating a Bubble, which is why your Bed Layer is so important. If you don't have good surround below, that overhead doesn't go anywhere.
For me, I need to upgrade one pair of speakers with a new tweeter and XO, then build the second pair. :D Fun times ahead!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here are my rears. You can see the top of the open door in the lower right, and top of my Right Surround next to the computer.

Nothings ever perfect, we just work with what we have to make it the best we can!!!

Cheers!

Sent from a handheld device using a silly little app.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis