What to do next ....

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Hello Audiofriends from a french Canadian guy (english is a bit bad sorry) :)

I will like some insight on upgrading my home theater system. Should i go for 7.1 or stay 5.1. Should i upgrade to atmos, or should i upgrade my existing speaker for better one. i have include in this thread an image with some spec of my room.

i know i have some limitation with my room, so i dont know if i can accomodate a atmos system in ceiling (i dont want the bouncing speaker). Is 7.1 possible in my room and will it make a difference?

If i upgrade my speaker what should i be looking for so i can hear a big difference.

My budget is mid range.

This is my spec for my actual system
https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a2060_u/index.html
https://www.klipsch.ca/products/sub-10-subwoofer
https://www.klipsch.ca/products/c-1-center-speaker
https://www.klipsch.ca/products/rs-42-ii-surround-speaker
https://www.klipsch.ca/products/f-1-floorstanding-speaker

THANLK YOU ALL FOR HELPING OUT.

home theather.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Speakers are so subjective that I can't tell you that an upgrade there is worth it for you. If it were me, I would absolutely upgrade the speakers. You should definitely consider upgrading the subwoofer at least.

As for Atmos, you need to go through this guide before making any decisions on Atmos, so you know what need to be done to achieve an Atmos system.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The upgrade path can be challenging. Is there a Sound Quality issue you have? Do you listen to music critically or passively? HT to music usage?

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Speakers are so subjective that I can't tell you that an upgrade there is worth it for you. If it were me, I would absolutely upgrade the speakers. You should definitely consider upgrading the subwoofer at least.

As for Atmos, you need to go through this guide before making any decisions on Atmos, so you know what need to be done to achieve an Atmos system.
I am unsure of Atmos mainly because i have ready about it, and i thing its a hit or a miss. if i ever go that direction, i want in ceiling speaker, i think they are a better viable solution dans the bouncing method.
I was also thnking of speaker upgrade, but i have know idea what i need. i wish i could remain in klipsch. i just dont want to buy a over power system if i dont really need it.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
The upgrade path can be challenging. Is there a Sound Quality issue you have? Do you listen to music critically or passively? HT to music usage?
this is for (movie) listening mainly, and a bit of (passively) music.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am unsure of Atmos mainly because i have ready about it, and i thing its a hit or a miss. if i ever go that direction, i want in ceiling speaker, i think they are a better viable solution dans the bouncing method.
I was also thnking of speaker upgrade, but i have know idea what i need. i wish i could remain in klipsch. i just dont want to buy a over power system if i dont really need it.
The Klipsch RP series is very good, a significant improvement over previous speakers. But that isn't just for more loudness, it's for more accurate sound reproduction. Definitely look at Paradigm Premier speakers which are manufactured in Canada- those are very good! You can get Monoprice Monolith THX speakers in Canada through Amazon.ca. You can get SVS speakers in Canada. So there are a few good choices for you.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Upgrade your Subwoofer. Consider 2 Hsu VTF2mk5, or 2 VTF3mk5. These are considered very good subs at an excellent value! There are others you could consider, but these, especially for the cost, will likely make you a very happy Bass-Head!
After that... If you don't want Atmos, then upgrade your speakers. An Atmos upgrade... say 5.2.4 does not have to cost a lot. but if you are uncertain about that, then upgrade your front 3 speakers for better sound quality overall.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't catch the Canada part... Hsu might cost too much to ship up there, but there may be other options, including the Monoprice Monolith Subs. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I didn't catch the Canada part... Hsu might cost too much to ship up there, but there may be other options, including the Monoprice Monolith Subs. :)
Yeah, Hsu is quite expensive to ship to Canada. Monoprice subs might be pretty expensive too. There are the Paradigm Defiance X subs which are very good, and Canadian made, and if those are reasonably priced, that might be worth a look.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In Canada, we usually get fair prices (shipped, and relative to USA's) for KEF, Focal, SVS, Infinity and may be Polk Audios speakers too.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH. :)

You didn't mention the video part; tv/projector screen size. If fairly large, you should move your seating to about 13 feet, then you should install 7.1.4. Four speakers in the ceiling per Dolby specs. Some BlueRay do have Atmos, not all. Hard to know what the future will bring. 4K discs will have Atmos.

If you can do it, at least wire for it if you are wiring the other speaker locations.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Upgrade your Subwoofer. Consider 2 Hsu VTF2mk5, or 2 VTF3mk5. These are considered very good subs at an excellent value! There are others you could consider, but these, especially for the cost, will likely make you a very happy Bass-Head!
all.
do you really think i need to subwoofer in this small room

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic

You didn't mention the video part; tv/projector screen size. If fairly large, you should move your seating to about 13 feet, then you should install 7.1.4. Four speakers in the ceiling per Dolby specs. Some BlueRay do have Atmos, not all. Hard to know what the future will bring. 4K discs will have Atmos.

If you can do it, at least wire for it if you are wiring the other speaker locations.
i use a lg-OLED65C8PUA-oled-4k-tv

for atmos i think my ceiling is a bit low to install speaker

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
do you really think i need to subwoofer in this small room
Everyone has their own preferences. I am 6 mos in to the ownership of my subs. I love them. I listen mostly to music, but also some HT. My room is about 2000'3, and I have 2 subs that could each handle a 5000'3 room. Maybe its a sickness. ;)
You are mostly HT... keep in mind the LFE channel goes down into infrasonic territory. That sub is rated at 28Hz. Of course it will have some output below that...
But if anything can offer immediate improvement to your experience, it will be the sub. Speakers can be upgraded, too, but I think the sub may do the trick until such a time that you want to completely redo your speakers. :)

I do agree with what Shady said... you can get better experience by upgrading the speakers, too. But truly good subs in your system might allow you time to plan more strategically on how you proceed for future upgrades.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lots of good advice.

Yes, upgrade sub/s. The 23’ length is long. It’s a big enough room to easily overwhelm a klipsch 10” sub.

Yeas do atmos, 7.2.4 and move the seating back to about 2/3. Ceiling IS short so I would use in ceiling not on ceiling. Follow the guide and the angles, and you should be fine.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Good advice.
Just wanted to add, iirc there about 400 regular BD titles with atmos. Some are dumb films which makes it even more frustrating that some are only available on UHD versions. Stupid...

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Lots of good advice.

Yes, upgrade sub/s. The 23’ length is long. It’s a big enough room to easily overwhelm a klipsch 10” sub.

Yeas do atmos, 7.2.4 and move the seating back to about 2/3. Ceiling IS short so I would use in ceiling not on ceiling. Follow the guide and the angles, and you should be fine.
if i backup my couch a bit, the problem is that i my door will be at the same level and i will lose my left surround speaker. You can see this in my plan

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you really think I need to [upgrade the] subwoofer in this small room?
If your current subwoofer sounds good to you, then it's good.

No need to change anything that sounds good to you unless you just want to change.

It's about YOUR preference, not others.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. I don't know if I can accommodate an Atmos system...

2. Is 7.1 possible in my room and will it make a difference?

3. If I upgrade my speaker what should i be looking for so I can hear a big difference.
1. There is at least one thread discussing Atmos/DTSX:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/the-dolby-atmos-dts-x-and-auro-3d-discussion-thread.112480/

You can see in this thread that some of us who have Atmos in our systems have greatly enjoyed Atmos/DTSX.

I think if you can install ceiling speakers, that would be great. If not, then I think the 2nd best would be to install height speakers as high up the wall as possible and point them to your seat.

2. A 7.1 system is possible in rooms smaller than yours. But whether it is worth it is highly debatable. I think if you have multiple rows of seats, then 7.1 might be worth it. If you only have one row of seats, then I don't think it's worth it.

3. How do you like the sound of your speakers now? If they sound good to you, then they are good.

If they don't sound good to you, then you need to go audition some speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis