sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
@shadyJ I have to laugh. In the subwoofer candy thread you started, Ive noticed a LOT of songs you’ve shared that start out with the description “not the deepest bass”. I just thought that was interesting.

Anyway, I found these guys on Spotify and I can’t find an easy way on you tube share a “mix”. makes me think of the witchstep stuff shady posted. Gotta be in the right mood, but this should keep the subs moving!

If you like Mastadon, check these out:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
And this little (HA!) Ambient Soundscape is what it must sound like if you drop a whale in outer space.
(To the best of my knowledge, no whales were injured during the making of this.)

This is the whole album... but you can slide on ahead to 49:41 and just listen to the end of the album: the 20 minutes that comprise track4 of the album Shades of Orion, Liquid Shade

Anybody on Apple Music can find this here, too. :)

Cheers!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
And this little (HA!) Ambient Soundscape is what it must sound like if you drop a whale in outer space.
(To the best of my knowledge, no whales were injured during the making of this.)

This is the whole album... but you can slide on ahead to 49:41 and just listen to the end of the album: the 20 minutes that comprise track4 of the album Shades of Orion, Liquid Shade

Anybody on Apple Music can find this here, too. :)

Cheers!
Shades of Orion, classic album. There is also Shades of Orion 2, btw. It's cool to see anyone get into this era of music. It's a rather obscure electronic music genre and a bit minimalist by today's standards. So many great releases under the Fax label. Tetsu Inuoue also had some great releases on the Instinct Ambient label in the USA, which is like Fax's sister label in the states. I was a big fan of Instinct Ambient, and they are how I ran into Fax releases because they released some Fax albums domestically. This was back in the 90's, of course.

Here is a track from Namlook that does bring the subs into action, although Ambient music, by its own nature, doesn't normally get into heavy bass:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Shades of Orion, classic album. There is also Shades of Orion 2, btw. It's cool to see anyone get into this era of music. It's a rather obscure electronic music genre and a bit minimalist by today's standards. So many great releases under the Fax label. Tetsu Inuoue also had some great releases on the Instinct Ambient label in the USA, which is like Fax's sister label in the states. I was a big fan of Instinct Ambient, and they are how I ran into Fax releases because they released some Fax albums domestically. This was back in the 90's, of course.

Here is a track from Namlook that does bring the subs into action, although Ambient music, by its own nature, doesn't normally get into heavy bass
I think I have managed to listen to everything I found on Apple Music under Pete Namlook's name, now! All of it! Good, bad, or indifferent. ;) There is some seriously amazing compositions/creations... however he worked. I guess, having listened more or less chronologically, it's clear that somewhere in the late 2000's, he had a life change: his music seems to have gotten lighter, and I feel like he started having more fun. Not to suggest that isn't present at times elsewhere in his catalog, but the Pearl series, Labyrinth series... Namlook XXV: Permutations is one that really stood out.
And yes, the collaborations with Tetsu Inoue are very enjoyable. A tangent led me to a Laswell/Inoue colaboration: Cymatic Scan (stumbled on it in Bandcamp). Very cool soundscape with some crazy LF rumble permeating the whole work.
Same kind of tangent that led me to Heckman and his Lost Tales... all 5 volumes are great... but 3-5 are special! I don't know if its a blurb he wrote, but they are all outliers in his work, but stuff that meant something deeper to him. It really is almost a definition of the difference between EDM and IDM, I think. Of course, with that distinction, I have to bring up Lorenzo Montana from the Lab series. His solo work has been greatly enjoyable... In the last month, not only have I found Lab 2-5 on disc, but have picked up 6 of Lorenzo's albums. Lorenzo says he's looking to see if he can scrounge up a copy of Lab1 for me, too! (Would be rad if he did... and worth the cost of buying all his albums in the meantime! :cool:)
Right now Shady, I'm winding down from work with some good bourbon, Dickason's LCD7, and David Moufang's Solitaire. It's my first listen, pretty enjoyable so far. Maybe not Candy-worthy. ;) But I'm only one track in.
Cheers!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think I have managed to listen to everything I found on Apple Music under Pete Namlook's name, now! All of it! Good, bad, or indifferent. ;) There is some seriously amazing compositions/creations... however he worked. I guess, having listened more or less chronologically, it's clear that somewhere in the late 2000's, he had a life change: his music seems to have gotten lighter, and I feel like he started having more fun. Not to suggest that isn't present at times elsewhere in his catalog, but the Pearl series, Labyrinth series... Namlook XXV: Permutations is one that really stood out.
And yes, the collaborations with Tetsu Inoue are very enjoyable. A tangent led me to a Laswell/Inoue colaboration: Cymatic Scan (stumbled on it in Bandcamp). Very cool soundscape with some crazy LF rumble permeating the whole work.
Same kind of tangent that led me to Heckman and his Lost Tales... all 5 volumes are great... but 3-5 are special! I don't know if its a blurb he wrote, but they are all outliers in his work, but stuff that meant something deeper to him. It really is almost a definition of the difference between EDM and IDM, I think. Of course, with that distinction, I have to bring up Lorenzo Montana from the Lab series. His solo work has been greatly enjoyable... In the last month, not only have I found Lab 2-5 on disc, but have picked up 6 of Lorenzo's albums. Lorenzo says he's looking to see if he can scrounge up a copy of Lab1 for me, too! (Would be rad if he did... and worth the cost of buying all his albums in the meantime! :cool:)
Right now Shady, I'm winding down from work with some good bourbon, Dickason's LCD7, and David Moufang's Solitaire. It's my first listen, pretty enjoyable so far. Maybe not Candy-worthy. ;) But I'm only one track in.
Cheers!
Wow, you are really taking a deep dive into Fax's stuff! I would recommend you take a look at any of Namook's collaborations with Geir Jenssen (who is better known as 'Biosphere' in his solo work). 'The Fires of Ork' is an all time classic, at least for those of us who dig this stuff. Biosphere's solo work is solid gold as well. And, if you haven't yet, you absolutely must listen to the 'Air' series from Namlook. As for David Moufang, I liked Solitaire a lot as well. The first tune I ever heard from Moufang is probably still my favorite by him, Zenn La that I encountered in the Chill Out Phase 2, a compilation album that blew my mind at the time, highly recommended. As for Cymatic Scan, that is truly minimalist stuff. I have the CD somewhere around here somewhere from years ago. I really enjoy that sort of thing, I often put that kind of music on when writing.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, you are really taking a deep dive into Fax's stuff! I would recommend you take a look at any of Namook's collaborations with Geir Jenssen (who is better known as 'Biosphere' in his solo work). 'The Fires of Ork' is an all time classic, at least for those of us who dig this stuff. Biosphere's solo work is solid gold as well. And, if you haven't yet, you absolutely must listen to the 'Air' series from Namlook. As for David Moufang, I liked Solitaire a lot as well. The first tune I ever heard from Moufang is probably still my favorite by him, Zenn La that I encountered in the Chill Out Phase 2, a compilation album that blew my mind at the time, highly recommended. As for Cymatic Scan, that is truly minimalist stuff. I have the CD somewhere around here somewhere from years ago. I really enjoy that sort of thing, I often put that kind of music on when writing.
Nice, Shady! Thank you for sharing that. :) Not a bad way to start the morning. :)
Air, Silence, Seasons Greetings. I hit all of those. Fires of Ork was awesome. I had a mental picture of the UruKai from Lord of the Rings buggin' out to that. ;)
Seriously though, I do have strong minimalist tendencies. Both in life, and in my music (at least that is to say when being a musician first was my life). Definitely going to keep exploring around this and see what I stumble upon next.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Found a bunch of songs by Kromestar.
Hoe lee she ott. My daughter was at the kitchen table and her mouth hit the floor when this song started to hit. She proceeded to laugh hysterically. Not sure how low it is, probably right between 30 and 40ish but damn....turn it up!!!

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Found a bunch of songs by Kromestar.
Hoe lee she ott. My daughter was at the kitchen table and her mouth hit the floor when this song started to hit. She proceeded to laugh hysterically. Not sure how low it is, probably right between 30 and 40ish but damn....turn it up!!!
Haha, this is great! Talk about an LFE workout. See how far down them subs can dig!

I continue to be surprised by my sealed Sunfire 12's. I'm going to have to see if I can find a third one.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I love the bass line on this one, but it won't blow your sub's drivers: G.O.L. - Soma Holiday. This is from the golden age of ambient dumb in the mid '90s, appearing on essential compilations from Beyond Records in the UK and Waveform Records in the USA. It's a chilled piece with a fat bass sound. All time classic tune for me! (pls excuse the cheezy visualizer imagery, this is the best quality streaming version I could find).

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Do you guys have spotify or tidal?

I'm looking for playlists that are from strangers and full of candy. ;)

My Tidal playlist is coming along, but I gotta figure out how to link to it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do you guys have spotify or tidal?

I'm looking for playlists that are from strangers and full of candy. ;)

My Tidal playlist is coming along, but I gotta figure out how to link to it.
Spotify for me.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Bill, can you share your sub-candy playlist. If you want to make it editable we could all work on it.

Or, I can create a playlist for us.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Ok, here is a Spotify Premium playlist I just started:

Subwoofer Candy

I have it set up as collaborative, so I don't know exactly how this will work. But theoretically, anyone should be able to add/edit it.

My ask is, please do not remove anything from it, only add to it...unless asked specifically to remove by whoever added the track.

Let the experimentation begin!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis