KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My 21 year old daughter took me to see this for fathers day because it had special significance for us (I used to make up new words each year and burst in her door singing "A Whole New World" as a "A Whole New Year" to wake her up on the first day of school for several years when she was in elementary school).
While I really enjoy Will Smith, I was wondering how they could possibly follow up Robin Williams as the Genie! Well, Will Smith showed me how! I've always loved Robin Williams and won't say Will Smith was better, but Will gave it his own interpretation while holding on to enough of Robin's schizophrenic pace to maintain a similar character.
I had assumed it was animated, but it is not (aside from computer graphic effects).
Overall, I would say it was on par or maybe better that the animated movie from the 90's(?).
It definitely had a different flavor and was coached a bit more to a more mature audience. The earlier Aladdin targeted young children and Robin Williams made it decent entertainment for Adults, the new one is better centered for a juvenile audience and, consequently, a bit more suited towards adults.
I was kind of expecting it to be another sequel that disappointed save some good stuff from Will Smith, but was pleasantly surprised to get a movie that held its on!
One thing that I noticed while watching it was about three places where I felt I was watching a film of a theater musical. I did not think of it at the time, but in hindsight, I have to wonder if they are not deliberately setting it up to become a broadway musical! I really have no idea, but I would consider that a fair possibility for a company like modern Disney!

Non-sequitur - it is a shame that the new "Men in Black" lost Will Smith. The combination of Tommy Lee Jones and Will really made it the Legend MIB has become.
I haven't seen it yet, but my daughter felt like they mimicked way too much from the Marvel Movies for the type of humor and having a cute little guy who was much too similar to Baby Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to hear it was decent, I was very worried as I really enjoyed Aladdin as a kid! Especially in regards to having someone other than Robin playing the genie, I had faith Will would not step on Robin's performance in any way.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Glad to hear it was decent, I was very worried as I really enjoyed Aladdin as a kid! Especially in regards to having someone other than Robin playing the genie, I had faith Will would not step on Robin's performance in any way.
Yep, you and Bern should check it out, I think you'll enjoy it!
I can't think of a lot of reason to see it in theater vs your own set up other than seeing it when it is "current" which doesn't seem very critical, unless you had a kid missing out on "the buzz".:)

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I read something about Will wanting so badly to do well for Robin's memory. That alone makes me a bit less skeptical of his performance. Haven't seen it yet, but my wife took the kids the other day and from what she could tell it was good. Keeping a 2yo entertained during meant she didn't get to pay full attention.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis