When will there be a true 4k UHD projector for under $3,500?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
BTW, I currently also have a BenQ 1080p (W6000). :D

Are you any closer to making your decision?

Sony 295ES Native-4K vs JVC 790R eShift-4K vs JVC NX5 Native-4K can be a tough decision.

The $5K Sony 295ES is the least expensive Native-4K. But it seems most reviews pick the $4K JVC 790R over the 295ES.

I haven’t seen any real reviews on the $6K JVC NX5 Native-4K.

Another thing to consider is the lamp lumens and price.

The 295ES is 1500 lumens and about $300. The JVC 790R is 1900 lumens and about $400. The JVC NX5 is 1800 lumens and about $700 dollars. :eek:

I am wondering about reliability.

@M Code, @BMXTRIX, do you know of any data that show which brand has better reliability?

I would not consider the JVC NX5 as it had significant initial problems in the beginning. I would wait until they are confirmed addressed. That being said, what I have found in most reviews that looked at Sony and JVC is that JVC has better black levels vs Sony better color.

https://www.channelnews.com.au/exclusivesony-to-take-advange-of-catastrophic-failure-of-jvckenwood-4k-projector-range/

Granted this is from December, so I would assume that they have resolved these issues by now

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I am gonna go with the JVC 790R if its $4,000.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The JVC 790 is a very solid projector. I have had NO luck finding it through my distribution channels, and it seems to be in very low supply out there, but the black levels are supposed to be a good bit better than the solid levels that the 590 that I current have offer. At this point, that's about as far as I would go with a projector purchase if I were to do any serious buying. I think you will be happy with it. Especially in a good dark theater.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just got a JVC 790 for a wheat farmer in Texas. He’s very happy.

I got the NX5 for myself. :D

This is the first time either one of us has ever owned a high-end JVC PJ. :D

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I am sending it back. It wasnt working right. Should i go with another BenQ LK970 or the JVC 790R?

Dale Doback

Dale Doback

Junior Audioholic
Well, the end is near for projectors. 10 years? When the tile panels become reasonable, that's it. So, if 4k projectors don't come down in price soon, don't bother.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the end is near for projectors. 10 years? When the tile panels become reasonable, that's it. So, if 4k projectors don't come down in price soon, don't bother.
I think native 4K PJ prices will continue to drop, especially when native 8K PJ come out. :D

G

Gotguns

Enthusiast
I am new to this whole av thing. I just finished buying and my audio stuff and now looking at video stuff. I was thinking that I wanted to get the optoma uhd60 and then was told to get the Epson 4050 pro. I don't have a huge budget anymore after Klipsch and monolith took all my money. What are thoughts on these two projectors? Or am I way ahead to spend more money on a better one?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I am new to this whole av thing. I just finished buying and my audio stuff and now looking at video stuff. I was thinking that I wanted to get the optoma uhd60 and then was told to get the Epson 4050 pro. I don't have a huge budget anymore after Klipsch and monolith took all my money. What are thoughts on these two projectors? Or am I way ahead to spend more money on a better one?
I'm not positive on the 4005, but I believe it is the 'pro' version of the 4010. I would avoid both the 4010 and 4050 in favor of the Epson 5050, or if I couldn't go that route, I would look at the 3800 from Epson. The 3800 should provide contrast that matches or exceeds any of the cheap DLP pixel shifters and brightness that is extremely good for HDR viewing. The support of the latest features (trickle down done right!) is a big plus for this model.

As long as you don't intend to use a 2.35 scree, which likely isn't the case based upon you looking at the UHD60, you would be very well served with the 3800 and the price should be in the ballpark of affordability.

From there, the Epson 5050 and the JVC models start to be the way to go. For those models to shine best, your room will count just as much as anything else.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis