HELP! HDMI broken in wall assembly!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It’s a cat5e with eight wires. That must mean it’s not solid core? You can see it in the picture I posted.
Look at the jacket- it should have a brand and numbers near that- you can search online for the specs. If it's extremely flexible, it's probably copper and the fact that feeding a new cable is likely to be difficult, just go ahead and terminate it- use 568B wire configuration.

I would also recommend using something to fasten the bundle to the corner of the walls, to remove some of the stress on the receiver's jacks and ports- I usually pound a cable staple into the wood and use wire ties to fasten the bundle.

C

Cnickdrive

Audiophyte
Thanks! I’ll configure it to 568B. I’m still unsure of the balun. Otto suggested an HDBT, I had been looking at the J-Tech hdmi extender. The HDBT extenders show such a wide range in price. From $100 to $500.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Do I use that or 568A for audio/visual?
Pick one. Residential distribution modules use 568A, commercial/industrial and contractors tend to use 568B and it more closely matches the old ATT standard, in the event that someone needs to install new cabling and use existing cables.

They're both fine- just don't mix and match.

F

FalconX

Audiophyte
My suggestion would be to remove Sheetrock sections and reinstall a conduit using pvc pipe. Sheetrock is easily repaired and painted and you will have a future proof solution and you will be able to replace or add additional wires if needed.

A bit more work but will pay off. Unless you have a basement you can run them through

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks! I’ll configure it to 568B. I’m still unsure of the balun. Otto suggested an HDBT, I had been looking at the J-Tech hdmi extender. The HDBT extenders show such a wide range in price. From $100 to $500.
I have personally used the J-Tech extenders for 1080p video without any issues. They are NOT HDBT, but some other extender chip set and they have worked just fine for the past 2+ years since I installed them.

You just want to pick up an extender from Amazon that has a very solid positive list of reviews. Most of them do. You better believe that people would complain if the reviews were not strong.

I think this is the model I have used in the past without issue...
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extender-Single-1080P/dp/B00G5RBX2Q/ref=sr_1_6?crid=195E442ZRHYBR&keywords=hdmi+extender+over+cat5e/6&qid=1558374651&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+extender,aps,119&sr=8-6

Since you have CAT cabling in place already, this will be, by far, the easiest and least expensive option in your home.

I do agree with running conduit, but only if you can't get this solution to work properly. Both ends of the CAT5e cable should be terminated with RJ45 plugs.

You can pick them up at Home Depot I believe, super inexpensive online for 100... You only need 2.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7245

You will also need a termination tool if you don't have one.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=195

Yes, a cheap one like that will work.

So, under $100 to get it going this week.

It is worth having a 30' cat cable (premade) to test the extender with. Make sure the cable is long enough to reach from the A/V receiver to the TV.
Make sure you have two short HDMI cables to go from the receiver to the extender and then from the receiver into the TV. I recommend 3' or shorter super slim HDMI cables like these...
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13586

Use a shorter cable if you find it appropriate.

For what it's worth, almost all HDMI extenders ask for use of the 568B standard, and in the last 10 yeaars of doing residential work, I think I've only seen one home which used 568A. It certainly is not a 'residential' standard. Almost everyone has standardized on 568B. That's what you should use.

C

Cnickdrive

Audiophyte
Thanks, BMX! You make me feel like I'm on the right track. The exact same J-Tech model that you pasted should arrive today. I purchased a network repair kit at Lowe's this weekend and installed the plugs on each end using 568B configuration. I also bought 2 4' HDMI cables. Once the J-Tech arrives I'll set it up. I'm going to connect the Apple TV to the receiver input, the receiver HDMI output to the extender, the CAT cable through the wall/ceiling to the second extender, and an HDMI from the extender to the TV.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the suggestions. I know I should future proof this whole thing, but if I can buy some time with these extenders, I'd be really happy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis