KODI Discussion Thread

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I don't know how Auro 3D is encoded or what container it uses. I presume it's a bitstream, but both Kodi and the Shield would have to recognize it and pass it through to get it to work. Kodi and the Shield obviously pass through Dolby and DTS bitstreams, including lossless formats, which is why DTS-X and Atmos work just fine. I don't know how to get that hardware/software combo to pass through whatever your receiver needs to decode Auro 3D.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I don't know how Auro 3D is encoded or what container it uses. I presume it's a bitstream, but both Kodi and the Shield would have to recognize it and pass it through to get it to work. Kodi and the Shield obviously pass through Dolby and DTS bitstreams, including lossless formats, which is why DTS-X and Atmos work just fine. I don't know how to get that hardware/software combo to pass through whatever your receiver needs to decode Auro 3D.
Well, it passes Auro-3D just fine so long as it's wrapped in DTS (all other movies I have in Auro-3D, which are 10 total plus a demo disc) are wrapped in DTS except Red Tails which is straight PCM (the actual Auro-3D encoding is in PCM according to their site, but can be wrapped in either DTS-Master HD or Dolby TrueHD according to the same. So, by passing DTS as bitstream, it apparently then gets a pure PCM signal which the receiver then recognizes. It doesn't have to recognize Auro-3D specifically when it's wrapped as the PCM makes it to the receiver untouched. That's why I THINK the older versions of KODI that supported a "RAW" dump of the signal for DTS support might work. I'd have to try it, though to be sure. That'd be a pain, thought to go back to an old version just for the sake of not having to get the disc out for one movie (although oddly other than some demo discs, I don't have to play a disc for anything else TV/Movie wise as they're all dumped).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Have you played 4K videos yet on Kodi to see how it handles the playback (even though the system is 1080p)?
Not on 18. I tried 18.1 and got bad results. Playback was smooth, but color was horrible.

17.6 D's player is perfect. Watched two different 4k her movies and they played with perfect color. Don't see myself changing until I get my HDR capable projector. Then I'll just use my shield.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not on 18. I tried 18.1 and got bad results. Playback was smooth, but color was horrible.

17.6 D's player is perfect. Watched two different 4k her movies and they played with perfect color. Don't see myself changing until I get my HDR capable projector. Then I'll just use my shield.
Guess what? I reinstalled DSPlayer 17.6 64bit and now everything is working great. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I just checked the color setting on the NVidia 1030 with the JVC NX5.

For 4K resolution, 8-bit is the max color Output.

Which cards allow 10-bit color output?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just checked the color setting on the NVidia 1030 with the JVC NX5.

For 4K resolution, 8-bit is the max color Output.

Which cards allow 10-bit color output?
That's not right. Should support 10 bit as well as her and everything else. I'll do some checking.

EDIT: Check this. Should let you choose the higher bit color.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's not right. Should support 10 bit as well as her and everything else. I'll do some checking.

EDIT: Check this. Should let you choose the higher bit color.
When you go into the Nvidia Control Panel —> Video —> Adjust Video Color Settings at the bottom, does it allow you to select anything other than 8-bit color output?

I think it allows 10-bit for PC 2500 x 1080 resolution, but not 4K.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Setting-Graphics-Card-Software-to-Display-10-bit-Output-1221/

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
When you go into the Nvidia Control Panel —> Video —> Adjust Video Color Settings at the bottom, does it allow you to select anything other than 8-bit color output?

I think it allows 10-bit for PC 2500 x 1080 resolution, but not 4K.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Setting-Graphics-Card-Software-to-Display-10-bit-Output-1221/
I'll have to connect it to one of my 4k HDR tvs and let you know.

I do know that with my GTX 970 I didn't have that issue when I had a 4K tv in my office. Hopefully it's just something simple.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I forgot one important thing. Don't use the Nvidia control panel to manage color. Let the video player do it. madVR should auto switch to the correct mode if everything is set up correctly. Haven't had time to test, but I should this weekend.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I forgot one important thing. Don't use the Nvidia control panel to manage color. Let the video player do it. madVR should auto switch to the correct mode if everything is set up correctly. Haven't had time to test, but I should this weekend.
Yeah I’m letting the video player manage.

I just wanted to see if the card is capable of 10-bit color output.

I figured if the card only allows 8-bit, how could the player output 10-bit?

Also, when I press the info button on the JVC, it says “3840x2160, HDR10, 8bit”.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah I’m letting the video player manage.

I just wanted to see if the card is capable of 10-bit color output.

I figured if the card only allows 8-bit, how could the player output 10-bit?

Also, when I press the info button on the JVC, it says “3840x2160, HDR10, 8bit”.
I saw the same on my TV. I'm not really sure what that means, but my TV goes into HDR mode and the picture is identical to what my Shield TV displays.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw the same on my TV. I'm not really sure what that means, but my TV goes into HDR mode and the picture is identical to what my Shield TV displays.
I think that means we’re getting 4:4:4 8bit HDR10, not 4:2:2 10bit. :D

But I guess the salient thing is that it looks great.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think that means we’re getting 4:4:4 8bit HDR10, not 4:2:2 10bit. :D

But I guess the salient thing is that it looks great.
Well yeah...I meant more that it's weird that 10 bit options aren't showing up. I didn't have that problem with my Sony TV. This test was on a Vizio, but I'm pretty sure it still has a 10 bit panel.

It does look good, but I want to make sure that minimal processing is being done. Don't want to miss out on any PQ.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I got different results using another cable and plugging into my receiver. I was able to select 12 bit (but not 10) in multiple color modes. Pretty sure it's the cable, but my Shield let's me choose all the 8, 10, and 12 bit color modes without issue. Pretty sure it's the same HDMI cable too.

Makes me remember why I quit messing with HTPCs...

I will say, video quality is fantastic with madVR. Always has been.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. Wonder if it will do the tone mapping like DSplayer will? Only matters to people with HDR movies and an SDR display.

This is a fork, but I wonder why they aren't doing official HDR support in v19?
Well, at least they’re headed in the right direction. Gives me hope that v20 or v21 will be 100% official HDR and have great tone-mapping for HDR—>SDR people.

Hopefully one day soon, there won’t be any need for the outdated DSPlayer.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, at least they’re headed in the right direction. Gives me hope that v20 or v21 will be 100% official HDR and have great tone-mapping for HDR—>SDR people.

Hopefully one day soon, there won’t be any need for the outdated DSPlayer.
Agreed. It works, but isn't ideal.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, I just upgraded my main HTPC to

1. Intel i9-9900K/ Noctua-D15 CPU cooler
2. GeForce 2080 Super/ GPU Brace Support
3. Vengeance 3200Mhz 32GB RAM
4. Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD
5. Antec-1200 case (200mm top, 140mm side, 120mm x 4 front, 120mm x 2 rear Fans)
5. Windows 10 Pro 64bit
6. Kodi 18.4 for now

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis