2 speakers and a receiver for $1000?

R

RHD

Enthusiast
Recommendations for two speakers and a receiver for $1000. Used primarily for music.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Your going to get a lot of recommendations. Take a look at A4L accessories4less, that site will get you your best value for your budget.

R

RHD

Enthusiast
Your going to get a lot of recommendations. Take a look at A4L accessories4less, that site will get you your best value for your budget.
Thanks. Trying to choose between a Yamaha or Denon AV receiver, then figure out two speakers that would work best.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
For around 600.00 you can get a decent pair floorstanders, then use the 400.00 on a Yamaha or Denon. You will get a warranty with A4L. Or 700 on a nice set of floorstanding speakers say like Q acoustics 3050 model number. If your not interested in Atmos or DTS-X you can pickup a Yamaha 7790 with pre-amp outs on A4L for 249.00 with a years warranty. I'm only suggestion that unit cuz I actually own one. I got it from A4L it just made two years this past February and I've had absolutely no issues with it.

Last edited:
R

RHD

Enthusiast
For around 600.00 you can get a decent pair floor stander's. Than use the 400.00 on a Yamaha or Denon. You will get a warranty with A4L. Or 700 on a nice set of floorstanding speakers say like Q acoustics 3050 model number. If your not interested in Atmos or DTS-X you can pickup a Yamaha 7790 with pre-amp outs on A4L for 249.00 with a years warranty. I'm only suggestion that unit cuz I actually own one. I got it from A4L it just made two years this past February and I've had absolutely no issues with it.
Thanks

R

RHD

Enthusiast
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When the speakers are rated to need a amplifier for example 20-100 watt, is 100 the peak or continuous watt?
Usually continuous watts.

BTW, if you believe in that trickle-down technology, KEF does make the $225,000 Muon speakers. ;)

As for brand name and pride of ownership, KEF is a lot more prestigious than many brands mentioned.

For materials, the KEF Q700 does have all-aluminum drivers for the tweeter and woofers.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
When the speakers are rated to need a amplifier for example 20-100 watt, is 100 the peak or continuous watt?
Man, did Acu give you a recomm... It's worth 200$ alone. If you buy that set up and send some decent recording down the chain, in a half decent listening room, you'll get goosebumps.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Depends on what your sources are. If you are using optical and analog outputs, then I literally would (and have) get a used 5.1 Sony or Yamaha for <$100. A little hunting, you can find it like $20. That leaves almost the entire budget for speakers.

If you need to deal with HDMI/Video, the choice looks different.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Oh yeah, JerryLove recommendation is a little better if all you want is a two channel receiver.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One cheap and nicely full range speaker that I liked was the Fluance Signature Three-ways. Those are a bargain at $700 shipped. Right now Fry's has the Klipsch RF-82 IIs for $700 a pair, that is a very powerful speaker for that price, if you have a Fry's near you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Used might be a better way to go for both speakers and receiver for "music only". Depends where you are....

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
What ever speakers you choose, the minimum and maximum RMS should be listed. Some speaker manufacturers will even spec, peak RMS. Get yourself 100 X 2 @8 Ohms I'd recommend.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Used might be a better way to go for both speakers and receiver for "music only". Depends where you are....
There were a nearby pair of JBL 890s someone was asking $800 used for that were terribly tempting.. I'm a huge fan of used gear (though the used prices seem up a lot since when I went through my mass "buy, try, and sell" phase.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There were a nearby pair of JBL 890s someone was asking $800 used for that were terribly tempting.. I'm a huge fan of used gear (though the used prices seem up a lot since when I went through my mass "buy, try, and sell" phase.
I think people have simply "discovered" the bargains that can be had used....lots of complaints from the used bargain hunters that I've seen recently.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What ever speakers you choose, the minimum and maximum RMS should be listed. Some speaker manufacturers will even spec, peak RMS. Get yourself 100 X 2 @8 Ohms I'd recommend.
For the usual hi-fi speaker, not the pro audio type, the manufacturer's published maximum wattage is the maximum power that a loudspeaker will handle for instantaneous peaks only. Beyond that wattage, it will sustain damage.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There are no standards for this so the spec is somewhat meaningless between different companies' spec in this regard. Far more useful info are the sensitivity and impedance specs (and they also have issues as to consistency but are simply more useful than a wattage rating in choosing an amp).

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
There are no standards for this so the spec is somewhat meaningless between different companies' spec in this regard. Far more useful info are the sensitivity and impedance specs (and they also have issues as to consistency but are simply more useful than a wattage rating in choosing an amp).
@loveinthehd, I always wondered just how do speaker manufacturers come up with the, say minimum 20 watts up to Max 150 watts. Do they actually measure, test? I do understand that even a 8 Ohms rated speaker can drop at or below 4 Ohms or even peak up to 16 Ohms. So I guess what I'm asking, just how they do come up with those RMS ratings. I personally have pushed 500 RMS into 4 Ohms, peak RMS well not me personally but my Son has with his speakers me I wasn't brave enough..lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@loveinthehd, I always wondered just how do speaker manufacturers come up with the, say minimum 20 watts up to Max 150 watts. Do they actually measure, test? I do understand that even a 8 Ohms rated speaker can drop at or below 4 Ohms or even peak up to 16 Ohms. So I guess what I'm asking, just how they do come up with those RMS ratings. I personally have pushed 500 RMS into 4 Ohms, peak RMS well not me personally but my Son has with his speakers me I wasn't brave enough..lol.
It's a mere guideline and somewhat marketing based I think is the best way to think about it and the upper limit I'd consider a limit before damage occurs (and even then many amps can easily exceed their rated output, which is usually tied to a particular THD spec, not what you can actually see if you twist the volume knob enuf). Many times you're not even using but 1-2 watts so why a minimum of 20 watts for the amp particularly? Does it mean you can achieve max output with 20 watts since it certainly has nothing to do with minimum output? Judicious use of the volume knob can limit any amp to not damage your speakers...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis