2 speakers and a receiver for $1000?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@loveinthehd, I always wondered just how do speaker manufacturers come up with the, say minimum 20 watts up to Max 150 watts. Do they actually measure, test? I do understand that even a 8 Ohms rated speaker can drop at or below 4 Ohms or even peak up to 16 Ohms. So I guess what I'm asking, just how they do come up with those RMS ratings. I personally have pushed 500 RMS into 4 Ohms, peak RMS well not me personally but my Son has with his speakers me I wasn't brave enough..lol.
They just use recommended guidelines. Most manufacturers don't use rigorous methods to establish their speaker's power handling since there are so many variables involved with normal playback. You can use more power than max power handling specs on many speakers, but you have to be careful on how you do it.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
One cheap and nicely full range speaker that I liked was the Fluance Signature Three-ways. Those are a bargain at $700 shipped. Right now Fry's has the Klipsch RF-82 IIs for $700 a pair, that is a very powerful speaker for that price, if you have a Fry's near you.
Fluance also pays return shipping in the first 30 days. Totally risk free.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Magnepan LRS. $650 shipped for the Little Ribbon Speaker. You likely won't find a higher fidelity speaker anywhere near that price.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis