Philharmonic 3... Packing and shipping

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
After five months, the day is almost here.
I was concerned I might not be able to get them when Dennis announced his retirement. I emailed Jim (I knew he was building the cabinets) and got a cryptic reply that the order was on hold since I talked to him a month prior, and Dennis' health had left some uncertainty about how to proceed. I even panicked and tried to figure out what I might do if I couldn't get these after planning on them for so long to anchor my rig! (How do you replace one of the best speakers you can buy in that price range... speakers that are generally regarded to go toe to toe with others at 2-3x their price if not more... full range 3-way design to pair with the existing BMRs???)

@D Murphy / @Dennis Murphy : Thank you! Dennis, I know your role in this was limited by very unfortunate circumstances, but this is the flagship of your brand, and I am eager to get these in place and have them fill (uh, Phil? :p) their role! And as always, thank you for the joy you brought back to my life in Sound! Continue on your path to recovery! Please get well, and I hope we get to speak again soon.

A big thank you to Jim Salk, too, for his role in keeping this alive!

Which brings me to this: The Phil 3 in Midnight Blue Curly Maple
1556643032639.png

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nice!
The blue is perfect for contrasting the black drivers, and knowing Salk's work, they will look even better in person!
(also, you cannot appreciate the chatoyance of curly maple in a photo - you have to move around!)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice!
The blue is perfect for contrasting the black drivers, and knowing Salk's work, they will look even better in person!
(also, you cannot appreciate the chatoyance of curly maple in a photo - you have to move around!)
I saw another cool video on a guy experimenting with dyes, and the one I watched was him applying a blue dye to some different maples... including a curly. The effect was stunning!

EAGER!!!!
:D

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
The end is nigh!!!

(end of the long wait ;) ) Congrats!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That's great news. It's always exciting to get that photo from Jim announcing the existence of your new speakers.

Got a shipping schedule yet?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Got a shipping schedule yet?
Not yet. Still need to be invoiced for the shipping, too. (Probably charge it just to save time!) But with his email, he said they'd be packed soon... probably get an invoice in the next two days... could see them late next week/early following week.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Not yet. Still need to be invoiced for the shipping, too. (Probably charge it just to save time!) But with his email, he said they'd be packed soon... probably get an invoice in the next two days... could see them late next week/early following week.
Jim's system for communicating with customers as speakers get finished and shipped is great. When I got my speakers, Jim shipped them the same day as I paid the invoice by credit card. Couldn't be quicker.

Remember the usual caveats when you receive them:
  • Wash your hands before you fondle them.
  • Avoid drooling excessively, or better yet, use a drool cup.
  • Wear a cap with chin strap to avoid that slack-jawed fool appearance. It's convenient to attach the drool cup to the chin strap.
Keep us posted :). We want photos ;).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The Phil 3 in Midnight Blue Curly Maple
Prepare to be blown away. That's a bold color and I bet it surprises you even though you're the one who picked it. I haven't seen anything like that in person, I mean a Salk cabinet in a wild color like that. Yours might be the only set of its kind. Congratulations on some killer sound in killer looking cabinets.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Jim's system for communicating with customers as speakers get finished and shipped is great. When I got my speakers, Jim shipped them the same day as I paid the invoice by credit card. Couldn't be quicker.

Remember the usual caveats when you receive them:
  • Wash your hands before you fondle them.
  • Avoid drooling excessively, or better yet, use a drool cup.
  • Wear a cap with chin strap to avoid that slack-jawed fool appearance. It's convenient to attach the drool cup to the chin strap.
Keep us posted :). We want photos ;).
I believe it is you who said: "Photos or didn't happen!" :) I'll represent.
1556663170597.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yours might be the only set of its kind.
I'd love to say it was, but Dennis told me after I ordered that somebody else had Phil 3s and BMRs all done in that color too. (Don't know which veneer, though.)
Prepare to be blown away. That's a bold color and I bet it surprises you even though you're the one who picked it.
Stoked is the best adjective I can think of.
;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I received an email from Jim on Thursday: My speakers were packed and the Freight pick-up was scheduled... He was troubled by an anomaly in the FR testing of the 3s, still within spec, yet he wanted to unpack and look at them again. It was determined that there is a XO modification and they are now going through a refit to address that change, and the speakers will ship next week.
I wanted to share this little tidbit as it gets to the heart of my experience with both Dennis and Jim.
Jim didn't have to do this. I would have been no wiser had he not reached out to me and suggested we delay.

Dennis and Jim: My continued gratitude for all of your efforts, care, and love for what you do! Thank you!

Best,
R

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They real question is when are you gonna put them on tour? :D
I was going to ask the same about your STs and Rythmiks! :)

Now accepting applications for visitors. First 5, no admission fee, or if Jim contacts me to arrange an audition. :cool: We have a spare bed in a little house, too.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Now accepting applications for visitors. First 5, no admission fee, or if Jim contacts me to arrange an audition. :cool: We have a spare bed in a little house, too.
Me me me me me! I promise I'll sign a safety contract around your speakers.

Just like I'm doing to come visit KEW!

No abuse will come to your speakers I promise! :D

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic

I’m already on the list right Ryan? :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Update: The revised XOs are installed, tested, speakers packed again, pickup scheduled...

And...

The eagle has left its nest!

I'll holler again in half-a-continent! :cool:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Update: The revised XOs are installed, tested, speakers packed again, pickup scheduled...

And...

The eagle has left its nest!

I'll holler again in half-a-continent! :cool:
I'm sure the time till they arrive will take forever just fly right by as if it were nothing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis