8 ohms speakers to 4 ohms amp??

67-79

67-79

Audioholic Intern
The more you play with your speakers, the more you also catch their voicing and power output. maybe some trick is to test many cheap stuff, installed everywhere in the room and play with that. Also you need to listen a long time. Tv, orcherstras, rock bands, movies noise, do each need different power outputs and sound staging. The goddam richs have rooms and access to many rooms and many programms in their house, so they can also test many different room/system combinations. Also as they have money to spare they benefit from personnal service from vendors and the poors are mess-up by online cheap bots where you're not sure when the stuff is delivered and what it do or don't do.
Just one exemple: if you want to put horns in front of your speakers, there is no way to get advises and easy access to that knowledge online but richs do not invest their money for musics lovers so they throw at us all the complicated overpriced stuffs to only stimulate economic grows.

Im sure, adapted horns can increase your sound and power outputs for 10$ to 25$. The trumpet is a horn instrument so it should sound better in a horn assisted speakers driver. So im looking for a speaker set with removable horns kits. Looks , there is not a single tv or radio with removable horns, it cost just 20$ in plastic or wood and 5 000$ in high tensile materials like gold, beryllium, aluminium or autografed.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wasn't 1dB for spl setup in part as the smallest increment humans can typically hear?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The more you play with your speakers, the more you also catch their voicing and power output. maybe some trick is to test many cheap stuff, installed everywhere in the room and play with that. Also you need to listen a long time. Tv, orcherstras, rock bands, movies noise, do each need different power outputs and sound staging. The goddam richs have rooms and access to many rooms and many programms in their house, so they can also test many different room/system combinations. Also as they have money to spare they benefit from personnal service from vendors and the poors are mess-up by online cheap bots where you're not sure when the stuff is delivered and what it do or don't do.
Just one exemple: if you want to put horns in front of your speakers, there is no way to get advises and easy access to that knowledge online but richs do not invest their money for musics lovers so they throw at us all the complicated overpriced stuffs to only stimulate economic grows.

Im sure, adapted horns can increase your sound and power outputs for 10$ to 25$. The trumpet is a horn instrument so it should sound better in a horn assisted speakers driver. So im looking for a speaker set with removable horns kits. Looks , there is not a single tv or radio with removable horns, it cost just 20$ in plastic or wood and 5 000$ in high tensile materials like gold, beryllium, aluminium or autografed.
No offense, but this is a terrible idea. Any horn-loaded speaker has to be engineered with the waveguide as an intrinsic part of its design. It's such a radical change that there is no way to make the horn optional. Any speaker that does have an optional horn was designed by someone with a grade-school understanding of acoustics.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Ok guys thanks for everyone's response, now I have a different dilemma! Yesterday I saw a add in my area someone have for sale set of polk Lsi25, two sets of LSiFx, center LSiC and sub PSW1000. All this for $700. They are in good shape and I am thinking to go and pick them up tomorrow. The thing is that I am not shure if my amp (outlaw model 5000) will be capable of driving them. They are 4 ohm speakers and everywhere I look peapol say that this speakers must be connected to high current amplifier. My amp is rated @ 180w per channel in 4 ohms, will that be enough??

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Considering that most listening is done with a (literal) handful of watts and the rest is only needed for the occasional peak, unless you do listening at consistently stupid loud levels, you should be fine. ...particularly if a sub woofer is employed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok guys thanks for everyone's response, now I have a different dilemma! Yesterday I saw a add in my area someone have for sale set of polk Lsi25, two sets of LSiFx, center LSiC and sub PSW1000. All this for $700. They are in good shape and I am thinking to go and pick them up tomorrow. The thing is that I am not shure if my amp (outlaw model 5000) will be capable of driving them. They are 4 ohm speakers and everywhere I look peapol say that this speakers must be connected to high current amplifier. My amp is rated @ 180w per channel in 4 ohms, will that be enough??
The amp will do just fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not familiar with Polk much myself, only that LSi seems to be one of their more respected lines. 700 for a set in good shape sounds decent....if you like their sound of course.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Assuming you sat say 8 feet from the Polk LSiFX dipoles with 88 db sensitivity and lost perhaps 4 db spl in room at your main seat it would require approximately 128 watts per channel into 4 ohms to hit reference peak of 105 db. The LSi25s are the same sensitivity at 88 db. Let’s assume you sat 10 feet away from them and lost 5 db in room you would need 170 watts per channel into 4 ohms to hit reference 105 db peaks. The LSiC has the same 88 db sensitivity and assuming you sat 10 feet away and lost 5 db in room at your main seat would need 170 watts into 4 ohms to hit 105 db reference peaks. If you bass manage them at say 80 hz standard you would use less wattage and give your outlaw 5000 a bit more headroom since your sub is going to alleviate the burden on the outlaw amp. You will probably only use the wattages I predicted if you ran your speakers across their full frequency range. It’s usually a good idea to know the slopes your bass management employs. A second order 12db/octave would reduce amp power usage by 10x below the crossover. Since your using a active crossover pre amplification in bass management the outlaw 5000 will get s reduced output signal from your pre amp/processor or receiver protecting it from potentially clipping if you were to set your volume at reference playback level. Mind you I still would not recommend anyone use their gear at reference playback since there is no guarantee the source material isn’t boosted in some way which could cause your amp to clip and a much lower than reference playback. Another often overlooked part of bass management is the gain settings for bass or treble which can usually be increased per channel of for all speakers and the sub as a group. Those settings will cause your outlaw or sub to use potentially 100 times more power for each speaker just using bass gain and the tweeter/mid range to need 100x the power for treble. So remember when the source material is recorded it was intended for you to leave bass/treble at flat or no gain! Lastly if your depending on the version of LSi25 mains your considering I saw them listed at 1800 for the pair. If you are getting even those for 700 your winning. If it’s all for 700 that’s not even a question you need advice for however if you meant 7000 for everything then your probably paying near full price for everything so consider what warranty your going to have remaining!

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Ok, last week I picked those LSI speakers, Lsi25 left and right, LSiC, two pairs of LSIFX and PSW1000. The guy throw in a Denon AVR-987 for free with the speakers and all that for $700. Everything works fine except the sub. No power!! I got it to a repair shop and they told me that is not worth fixing, but I lake the look of it and will go good with the rest of the lsi speakers, so I am looking at replacement amp from parts express. As far I can tell the two 10s are wired in paralel and each of them is 4ohm speaker, that means that I need 2ohm stable amp that pushes 400w RMS , I dont see any plate amp on part's express that can do that!!! Any ideas? Or I may be better off getting normal sub amplifier ( by normal I mean one lake separate component) and just rum the sub that way?

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
O, and the guy whose wery cool when later the day I texted him that the sub is shot, he returned me $150 for the repair. People lake this is hard to find those days.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Did you contact the manufacturer and explain the issue your having? Talk to the tech there. Maybe you can get a refurbished amp from them. Considering how cheap everything else was you purchased and the 150 the seller gave you back plus the free denon I’d get s refurbished amp from the manufacturer since you will probably get a warranty with it. Sub amps with warranty is a guarantee as long as you don’t abuse the amp!

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Did you contact the manufacturer and explain the issue your having? Talk to the tech there. Maybe you can get a refurbished amp from them. Considering how cheap everything else was you purchased and the 150 the seller gave you back plus the free denon I’d get s refurbished amp from the manufacturer since you will probably get a warranty with it. Sub amps with warranty is a guarantee as long as you don’t abuse the amp!
I call them and they say that they no longer support this product. May be I should call again and talk to a different person!

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Whell I just measured the resistance of the speakers again and this is what I got 5.7 ohms

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Do you have the part # for the amp available. I was looking at s site but don’t have the #

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Is the amp and controls module one piece or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
The numbers on back of the plate are patent numbers. The one on the power supply board is "indigo canada 640038 rev1"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis