Upgraded to Immersive Sound with RBH SI-615 Atmos Speakers

What type of speakers are you using for Dolby Atmos height channels?

• Discrete in-ceiling.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Bouncy house Atmos-enabled.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None. 5.1 or 7.1 is good enough for me.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Screw surround sound, I'm a two-channel guy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
While I love reviewing new floorstanding super towers from RBH Sound, I also recognize in-walls represent a big chunk of their Custom Integrator business. RBH has recently introduced their SI-615 in-ceiling speaker as a sonic match to their Signature Box speaker products. The SI-615 in-ceiling speakers feature a 6-1/2” aluminum cone woofer and a ¾-inch pivoting ring-radiator tweeter. The speaker has a great sensitivity rating of 88dB (2.83V @ 1 meter) and the 6 1/2" driver boasts bass extension down to 50Hz (-3dB, free air). RBH claims the SI-615 is primarily designed to be used for in-ceiling channels of object-based surround systems, but is also equally adept when used as a pair for high-end stereo listening or other whole-house audio applications.

For this review, we look at installing two pairs of SI-615's with matching BC-6R insulated backcans as height channels for a full 7.5.4 speaker configuration in the Audioholics Showcase theater. After all, we don't do the bouncy house speakers for Atmos, and RBH is on the same page as us by not producing them. Kudos to a company that pursues science over marketing.

How did it sound? Let's just say it was a transformative sonic audio experience worthy of jumping into Immersive Surround Sound.

SI-615-Front-Side.jpg

Read: RBH Sound SI-615 In-Ceiling Atmos Speakers Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey glad you enjoyed the experience with those RBH in ceiling! Your daughter has great taste that is an excellent movie!

J

Jsandman

Enthusiast
Thanks for the review on some of RBH's in-ceiling speakers, Gene. However, I am more curious about those SV-661WRs. What did you think of them? I hate to admit it, but I am asking for very selfish reasons: I am currently running a 7.2.2 setup with RBH SV-6500Rs and an SV-661CR center, but Polk OWM5s for surrounds and OWM3s for the ceiling speakers. (I know it's dangerous, but I have the OWM3s extremely well-secured. I too refuse to use bouncy-house speakers!) I find the Polks to be an incredible bang-for-the-buck surround speaker, but I am wondering if the $$$ to upgrade to the SV surrounds is worth it or not, so I would very much appreciate any insight you may have.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the review on some of RBH's in-ceiling speakers, Gene. However, I am more curious about those SV-661WRs. What did you think of them? I hate to admit it, but I am asking for very selfish reasons: I am currently running a 7.2.2 setup with RBH SV-6500Rs and an SV-661CR center, but Polk OWM5s for surrounds and OWM3s for the ceiling speakers. (I know it's dangerous, but I have the OWM3s extremely well-secured. I too refuse to use bouncy-house speakers!) I find the Polks to be an incredible bang-for-the-buck surround speaker, but I am wondering if the $$$ to upgrade to the SV surrounds is worth it or not, so I would very much appreciate any insight you may have.
Why cheap out on the surrounds? That’s more of a temporary or budget move. What subs are you using? :)

J

Jsandman

Enthusiast
Why cheap out on the surrounds? That’s more of a temporary or budget move. What subs are you using? :)
It's not so much that I cheaped out on the surrounds; I just have kept them for years as I slowly but surely upgrade different parts of my system. (I used to have Polk TSx front speakers, then upgraded to Polk RTiA front speakers before upgrading to my current RBHs.) I still like the Polk OWMs for surrounds; I really think they're totally underrated. But I am contemplating an upgrade knowing what better resolution the RBH towers and center provide vs. any of the aforementioned Polks, plus the OWMs (as good as they are) are not exactly timbre-matched to my main speakers now. And oh yes... I am using two Hsu VTF-3 subs. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis