gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
No. They really, really didn’t. This claim has as much credibility as the idea that shakri stones improve imaging from speakers or cable lifters help clarify the electron flow through speaker wire.
Considering that game predates STD and has similar elements, I disagree. Also interesting how quickly STD abandoned the whole tardigrade plot, coincidence? I think not.

O

Ovation

Enthusiast
Considering that game predates STD and has similar elements, I disagree. Also interesting how quickly STD abandoned the whole tardigrade plot, coincidence? I think not.
He might start by actually making a game (that hasn’t happened yet).

He might also try providing some (any shred?) of evidence that anyone with decision making authority at CBS was aware, let alone saw, his obscure bits of ideas BEFORE production began on DSC (he hasn’t, despite the court’s generous indulgence of his legal team’s ineptitude).

The guy was egged on by DSC hating YouTubers and will likely end up with a large pile of court and attorney fees. I have pity for the guy, a little, on that point.

There’s been more evidence presented in the court that he’s doctored some material created AFTER DSC was well under production to make it appear as if it was older than the show than there is evidence of CBS “stealing” an idea from him.

And if you truly believe the tardigrade story line evolved on the show out of some fear of losing this case, well I’ve got some fine ocean front land in Montana for sale...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
He might start by actually making a game (that hasn’t happened yet).

He might also try providing some (any shred?) of evidence that anyone with decision making authority at CBS was aware, let alone saw, his obscure bits of ideas BEFORE production began on DSC (he hasn’t, despite the court’s generous indulgence of his legal team’s ineptitude).

The guy was egged on by DSC hating YouTubers and will likely end up with a large pile of court and attorney fees. I have pity for the guy, a little, on that point.

There’s been more evidence presented in the court that he’s doctored some material created AFTER DSC was well under production to make it appear as if it was older than the show than there is evidence of CBS “stealing” an idea from him.

And if you truly believe the tardigrade story line evolved on the show out of some fear of losing this case, well I’ve got some fine ocean front land in Montana for sale...
I guess we will see gow the dust settles but those concept of Tardigrade Mushroom drive is as ridiculous as the transporter in JJ Trek that can go across the universe. Warp drive just isn't fast enough for the piss poor writing of this show or Into Lameness movie.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Warp drive just isn't fast enough for the piss poor writing of this show or Into Lameness movie.
OUCH! Now I HAVE to watch this show just to see what you're talking about. Haha. Could it be a candidate for an MST3K (now Riff Trax) treatment?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DISC is not anywhere near perfection.

I think some hardcore fans have a lot higher expectations and are a lot more critical than some other fans.

Sometimes I can overlook a lot, but sometimes I can't.

For DSIC, I seem to be able to overlook some things. :D

DISC has a 7.4/10 IMDb rating after over 62K votes. Star Trek Voyager has a 7.7 IMDb rating with 50K votes.

I don't usually watch shows rated under 8.0 on IMDb, but I seem to be making an exception for DISC. :D

Last edited:
O

Ovation

Enthusiast
Anyone who was expecting some sort of TNG-era 2.0 has likely been profoundly disappointed by DSC. That's fine--if I had been expecting/wanting that, I'd have been disappointed as well. However, I didn't want anything like that. I already have, at my fingertips, 700+ hours of "traditional Trek" and have seen every minute of it, multiple times (some episodes 20+ times) since October 1973 when I saw my first episode of Star Trek--The Devil in the Dark--on WLVI, CH56 out of Boston. Consequently, I want non-"traditional" Trek. It's why DSC is my second favourite Trek series after TOS. It's why the Abrams directed Trek films are my favourite of all the Trek movies (especially Into Darkness) and why Beyond--the one of the three new films that seems to be least disliked by "traditionalists"--is considerably lower on my list. I actually like all Trek, just not equally. But I am most keen to experience new Trek that is deliberately different from its predecessors.

However, it seems (and this is hardly restricted to here or to Trek) that the appetite for "non-traditional" representations of long-running franchises is considerably smaller than I would have thought ten years ago. People prefer comfortably familiar to something that challenges expectations. I hear it from friends and family who get upset when attending a concert where the act doesn't just do a "greatest hits" show (or if the band/act decides to alter the musical arrangements to freshen up the decades old material). I see it in commentary about Man of Steel--my favourite Superman movie (and I love the first two Christopher Reeve films). There too, a "non-traditional" version that failed to fit the "comfortably familiar" expectations was roundly criticized. My view is as with Trek--there are 30,000+ versions of "traditional Superman" in comics, shows, films, animated films, etc. I like Man of Steel precisely because it's NOT "like all the others".

Taking a non-traditional approach to any long-standing franchise is NOT illegitimate in and of itself. I get that some people could be (likely will be) disappointed. That's fine. What has puzzled me, however, is the increasing level of vitriol expended in the expression of such disappointment. Or that people who CLEARLY and intensely dislike the non-traditional version continue to subject themselves to watching it, only to spew forth more vitriol. If I ever found something so problematic, I'd simply stop watching/reading/listening. Life is too short and there are MANY other things I could be doing than "hate-watching" a show just to vent my spleen afterwards.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
... watch The Expanse, that show is ... probably the best hard-science fiction show ever produced for TV.
Time for a reality check!
Expanse is good, but as perceived by my 4 year old mind, Fireball XL5 holds that exalted title!

C

Captain Duncel

Audiophyte
Early Next Generation was silly but I stuck with it out of loyalty and hope. The first season of STD was painful and left a bad taste in my mouth. Even if they somehow salvage it they would have to pay me to risk a repeat of that experience.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is interesting:

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
STD via the app on the ATV4K is still limited to 2 channel audio?
I gave up on that and buy it using Amazon Prime.
Amazon Prime subscriptions are great. One app with that removes the obfuscated cancellation process.
Via Amazon Prime, there is 5.1 audio. I buy HBO this way as well.
We'll see how well Amazon fares when Game of Thrones returns but they should have the server capacity to handle the load, if anyone does.

If you want to save money, just wait until STD S2 is completed. Sign in for 1 month and watch them all.
Not bad for $15 and no commercials.

I share the sentiments for STD season 1. The Klingon's in the first season could not move their own mouths and sounded like they were talking through a pillow while on Xanax. It takes them forever to say anything. There was zero character development.

Echoing Gene's sentiment, the Klingons "toxic masculinity" should be labeled "toxic insanity". There must be another branch of Klingon capable of designing star ships. :)

Then, there is the patently absurd, For example, Tilly training to be a captain. There is such a thing as leadership skills, and clearly, does not have them.
There are not enough laps in a lifetime to make that happen. Ash is a whole in the screen where there should be a person.
Saru is a great character. Michael is ok. What's up with Stamos, is there no tooth whitening technology in the 23'rd century.
If you have seen Anson Mount in Hell on Wheels (highly recommended),you would know how under-utilized he is on the STD.
Still, its good enough to watch and so I do.

I prefer STD to the Orville. There something about the video that looks like a soap opera production.
The last two episodes where better but predictable.
First of all, what exactly is the relationship between the doctor and Isaac? Surely, she knows what's missing :p
No characters are particularly relatable. The most amusing is gelatinous entity.

The Expanse on the other hand has many good and well developed characters. It gets better and watching it on Amazon was a real treat. I have FIOS and the quality is abysmal. Macro-blocking artifacts, poor color that looks terrible on the LG OLED.
This show looks fantastic on Amazon Prime and I fully enjoyed watching all three seasons again.

- Rich

RichB

RichB

Back to the thread question, Can STD save CBS all access.
Of course not.

Broadcast stations have a mix of content. Of which, I watch very little.
To me, it's analogous to eating dinner at three restaurants, one for appetizers, one for the main course, and one for desert.
The only hope is delivery via Amazon.

Star Trek was a huge part of my youth and I remember watching in on an 11" color TV that really did not do blue.
I watched it with my daughter on Netflix in HD and there was something special seeing it this way on a beautiful screen.

For STD, I'd prefer paying $25 to $30 for the season and not bothering with the All Access subscription.

I suspect that the upcoming Disney service will not be well received either.
I'd rather buy the show than try to keep track of all the little blood-suckers charging my credit card.

Also, my wife and I also enjoyed the Netflix reboot of Lost in Space. It was slow at times but, on the whole, the characters were very good.
It does get frustrating when no one can tell the Dr. Smith is bat sh..t crazy. :)

- Rich

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Back to the thread question, Can STD save CBS all access.
Of course not.
Yeah, I still can't comprehend their baffling decision to make it streaming only. While I know they were trying to promote the service, you'd think maybe a good compromise would be to stream it first, then have it broadcast it the next day or so on CBS. Basically just give people an incentive to subscribe to use the streaming service by giving the fans early access. Kind of like lots of studios often do for digital releases of movies.

Seems that by going the route they did, they've lost a TON of potential viewers. People who watch traditional cable/OTA TV won't be able to watch it or may not even really know about it, and people who like to stream refuse to sign up for the thousandth streaming service out there, let alone such a poorly executed one.

You just know their whole strategy was concoted by some clueless exec with an MBA who uses all the latest trendy corporate buzzwords, just trying to appeal to millennials. I can just envision the board meeting now: "So first, you guys are going to need to monetize your synergy, then blah blah blah the 20-30 demo, blah blah blah internet streaming, blah blah blah APPS!!!!, blah blah blah social media, blah blah branding, blah blah trending, #hashtags #hashtags, now make it happen last quarter. Go!"

RichB

RichB

Just to make it clear. You can buy CBS all access commercial free for $10 a month.
All are managed under the Prime Video Channels in your account.
The video is excellent (with a good bandwidth connection) and there is 5.1 audio.

I stay away from specialty apps whenever possible.

- Rich

O

Ovation

Enthusiast
In Canada it’s on Space, a cable sci-fi (mostly) channel. Rest of the world gets it via Netflix.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Just to make it clear. You can buy CBS all access commercial free for $10 a month.
All are managed under the Prime Video Channels in your account.
The video is excellent (with a good bandwidth connection) and there is 5.1 audio.

I stay away from specialty apps whenever possible.
Good to know! Couldn't find the $10 ad-free version on Amazon, though. All they list is the standard version. I'm also hearing that although it'll show up as "5.1" on your receiver, it's really just 2.0 in a 5.1 wrapper, so was reading about many people experiencing just the L/R speakers outputting unless their receivers were doing some upmixing to get "5.1." That's all anecdotal Reddit stories though, so I don't know how true that is.

Agreed 100% on the app. Using the Amazon Prime app has to be better than the awful CBS one.

RichB

RichB

Good to know! Couldn't find the $10 ad-free version on Amazon, though. All they list is the standard version. I'm also hearing that although it'll show up as "5.1" on your receiver, it's really just 2.0 in a 5.1 wrapper, so was reading about many people experiencing just the L/R speakers outputting unless their receivers were doing some upmixing to get "5.1." That's all anecdotal Reddit stories though, so I don't know how true that is.

Agreed 100% on the app. Using the Amazon Prime app has to be better than the awful CBS one.
The XMC-1 currently has a bug where it identifies 5.1 LPCM as 7.1. My 5.1 speakers are definitely engaged and there is no up-mixing.
I have attached an image of my Amazon order so I don't know what is going on there. Originally, I thought it was $15 for no commercials so I am not complaining.

AmazonCBSAllAccess.jpg
STDWithAudio Small.JPG

- Rich

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
In Canada it’s on Space, a cable sci-fi (mostly) channel. Rest of the world gets it via Netflix.
It's one of the very few times the US Netflix is worse compared to where I live. I've got to savour this while it lasts :p

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
The XMC-1 currently has a bug where it identifies 5.1 LPCM as 7.1. My 5.1 speakers are definitely engaged and there is no up-mixing.
I have attached an image of my Amazon order so I don't know what is going on there. Originally, I thought it was $15 for no commercials so I am not complaining.

View attachment 28628
View attachment 28629

- Rich
Cool. Thanks for sharing. So it looks like adding the subscription is no fuss no muss by going through Amazon. So if I understand this correctly, by going that route we don't have to create a new account, give another company our CC info, etc.? It's all handled directly through Amazon? That sounds doable.

Extra plus that you're actually seeing real 5.1. Been hesitant to buy the Blu-Rays since I don't know how much I'll like the show, but if I can do it through Amazon (and at higher quality to boot),then I'm willing to give it a shot now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis