All channels driven ratings

A

AGC88

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I know Gene has done testing for some 2018 AVR's and has a chart for the true "all channels driven ratings". I couldn't find it. Not in his article where he names the top pics for 2018. Does any one have the link available? Did he do one for power amps of 2018? Listing the actual "5-ch driven wpc" or "all channels driven"?

Thanks.

In a YouTube video he showed the chart...the Marantz flagship was rated at 86 wpc 7-ch driven...

Wondered what the number is for the Denon AVR 8500H...also around 86-100 wpc all channels driven or 7/ch? From the same JP factory...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Real world power and the RMS stress testing are two different things! Apples and potatoes? ;)

A

AGC88

Audiophyte
Real world power and the RMS stress testing are two different things! Apples and potatoes? ;)
That's true. :) I guess Gene's testing wasn't real world. :) His 97 wpc @ 8ohms...

Odd no one has done real world testing using a SPL meter. I have one. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Both of course are Pomme in French. ;)
RMS is a stress test, as I understand it (mind I'm not an expert here)... perhaps a very gross oversimplification... but they are running sine waves, continuous tones, through the system up to a point of failure. Music Power is almost never like that... with momentary intense dynamic peaks that last fractions of a second and go away.
Your system should be able to output more than xxWRMS for those brief moments and then recover without problem.

A

AGC88

Audiophyte
Both of course are Pomme in French. ;)
RMS is a stress test, as I understand it (mind I'm not an expert here)... perhaps a very gross oversimplification... but they are running sine waves, continuous tones, through the system up to a point of failure. Music Power is almost never like that... with momentary intense dynamic peaks that last fractions of a second and go away.
Your system should be able to output more than xxWRMS for those brief moments and then recover without problem.
Also true. The "7ch driven wpc rating" is really just a general guide. Maybe a number that makes the owner feel like he bought an AVR with amps capable of outputting "enough wattage". There are no films where all 7-ch will output the same SPL. :). It's usually either just the centre going all out followed by the LR...subs with their own power amp (unless some one opted for a passive)..Still, I am curious to know about the Denon 8500H's "7-ch driven wpc #"...now, more out of curiosity. Is it the same as the Marantz flagship ast 97 wpc inot 8 ohms? :)

Would a separates power amp like an Emotiva 5-ch output closer to manufacturer's claimed lab tested number than an AVR? Suppose it varies from brand to brand.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
When would you ever have all channels playing exactly the same content. We only use a watt most of the time. It dosent mean a damn thing regardless of who tested it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You will see measurements for both Continuous all-channels, 2Ch, and Dynamic Power.

This is what Audioholics says about Dynamic Power:
  • Dynamic PWR - 1kHz CEA-2006 Burst Method testing. This is a dynamic power measurement adopted from the car industry similar to IHF method, only a bit more difficult for an amplifier and more representative of real musical content.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Also true. The "7ch driven wpc rating" is really just a general guide. Maybe a number that makes the owner feel like he bought an AVR with amps capable of outputting "enough wattage". There are no films where all 7-ch will output the same SPL. :). It's usually either just the centre going all out followed by the LR...subs with their own power amp (unless some one opted for a passive)..Still, I am curious to know about the Denon 8500H's "7-ch driven wpc #"...now, more out of curiosity. Is it the same as the Marantz flagship ast 97 wpc inot 8 ohms? :)

Would a separates power amp like an Emotiva 5-ch output closer to manufacturer's claimed lab tested number than an AVR? Suppose it varies from brand to brand.
FWIW, I was told my SR6012 (rated at 110w, 8ohms, 2-chan) is probably outputting 60-70wpc. Nobody ever clarified if that was supposed to be wRMS or Music Power. I think the Marantz flagsip AVR is probably closer to 80, and the Denon 85... when running all channels. That said, some AVRs allow for more power to go specifically to the front 3 than to the surrounds/heights.

In terms of the Emo Amps, those are rated, as I'm sure you know, all channels driven, at least for the XPA Amps. Or in my case, I have 5 monoblocks.

Now as you talk SPL, more wattage allows for greater headroom, louder dynamic peaks, but 0 on your volume knob is still 0 with a 500wRMS/ch amp as it is without. If you turn it to "reference" SPL, you will still only be using 1w @1m (or thereabouts).

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That's true. :) I guess Gene's testing wasn't real world. :) His 97 wpc @ 8ohms...

Odd no one has done real world testing using a SPL meter. I have one. :)
I'd spend some time researching things that matter, like sound. Understanding those will make you much happier than watts.

A

AGC88

Audiophyte
When would you ever have all channels playing exactly the same content. We only use a watt most of the time. It dosent mean a damn thing regardless of who tested it.
I think irc reading about that fact years ago now. :) I suppose wpc numbers whether lab tested or not are just like 0-60 MPH times we read/hear about in car reviews. Numbers to help sell magazines and cars...product. :) In "real world driving" whether a car can do 0-60 in 3.5s means nothing...driven on the street, in traffic, along side drivers of different skill/judgment...cars of different abilities...in less than ideal conditions...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Both Audioholics and Sound & Vision did reviews on the Denon X8500, but there were no measurements.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I think irc reading about that fact years ago now. :) I suppose wpc numbers whether lab tested or not are just like 0-60 MPH times we read/hear about in car reviews. Numbers to help sell magazines and cars...product. :) In "real world driving" whether a car can do 0-60 in 3.5s means nothing...driven on the street, in traffic, along side drivers of different skill/judgment...cars of different abilities...in less than ideal conditions...
Most peoples SPL needs are small. More importantly a good amp should be able to drive low impedance medium sensitivity speakers. If you have a speaker that's over 90db sensitivity 5 watts is dangerously loud in most rooms.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with everettT. Even if the surround channel amps rating is 50% of the rating of the left & right front channels, that is only 3dB less power.

In movies or any type of concert, most of the audio output comes from the three front channels and the power required for the surround is way less than that. Your question is irrelevant.
On the occasion where an object is moving to the back, there is more power required for the back channels but less from the front ones then.
There is no reason for concern.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

It should be more, probably about 115 w x7, 125x5, just an educated guess. As mentioned, those numbers by themselves don't reflect real world performance. Other factors are 1, 2 channel output into 4 ohms, dynamic ratings, distortions at <1 w, and at rated output etc etc.. The Denon has a larger VA rating EI frame transformer (18 lbs) than the Marantz's toroidal one.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I’m so confused!

All I want is good clean sound that doesn’t deteriorate when pushed.

The more I read the dumber I get.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis