Back on the market for a stereo or AVR

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Sold my onkyo rz820. Back on the market for a new unit. I’m torn between the new Aventage 1080 at 849. Or the Pioneer Elite sclx 701 at the same price. Yamaha known for build quality and the new model has a fancy backlit remote. Pioneer having class D amps aboard and more power to boot. Anyone have experience with either or previous models? Which would you choose and why?

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why did you sell the Onkyo? What features do you need? Why not consider D&M avrs too?

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Why did you sell the Onkyo? What features do you need? Why not consider D&M avrs too?
Had a Denon x4400h it’s was good. Didn’t sound any better than the onkyo when i compared them. I returned the x4400. They share the same DAC chips, for the price difference the onkyo was the winner. Sold the onkyo due to a move. Now that I’m settled, i want a new unit. I’m doing 2 Channel now, I’ve got surrounds on order. 5.2. Eventually Atmos.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You can get the 9 series pioneer for right at a grand FWIW. I have one and the only issues I've had are updates taking a couple of times to take. Having said that the denon x34/5000 is the best barging going. With any of the mentioned units you would have to step up to 300 wpc amp to get a noticeable difference in spl.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
You can get the 9 series pioneer for right at a grand FWIW. I have one and the only issues I've had are updates taking a couple of times to take. Having said that the denon x34/5000 is the best barging going. With any of the mentioned units you would have to step up to 300 wpc amp to get a noticeable difference in spl.
How’s the sound quality on that pioneer of yours? I know they use the Sabre series DAC that Yamaha uses.

Last edited:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
If you liked the Onkyo just go back to it if you don't need more than 7 channels in the future. I have one (RZ820) and I really like it. To me the biggest advantage it has over Denon/Marantz is it doesn't run hot. IMO it looks nicer and the build quality is better than the D/M models in the same price range.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sold my onkyo rz820. Back on the market for a new unit. I’m torn between the new Aventage 1080 at 849. Or the Pioneer Elite sclx 701 at the same price. Yamaha known for build quality and the new model has a fancy backlit remote. Pioneer having class D amps aboard and more power to boot. Anyone have experience with either or previous models? Which would you choose and why?

Thanks.
I love my Yamaha 2060 even with the old cluttered remote. :)

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
If you liked the Onkyo just go back to it if you don't need more than 7 channels in the future. I have one (RZ820) and I really like it. To me the biggest advantage it has over Denon/Marantz is it doesn't run hot. IMO it looks nicer and the build quality is better than the D/M models in the same price range.
I do not need more than 7 channels. I’m considering it. It’s onsale now for 549. But the Yamaha and Pioneer seem sweet as well. I hate making decisions lol

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
About three weeks ago I bought a Yamaha RX-A3080. I almost got the 1080 but found the 3080 as a factory refurb and on sale.

It shares a lot with the 1080 you’re looking at. I can’t say how it compares to the Pioneer you’re looking at, but the Yamaha is pretty solid. I upgraded from a Marantz SR7008. Sound quality is about the same, most decent receivers probably won’t change the sound much on their own. The Yamaha has a bunch of premade sound fields. I ignore half of them because they’re the “Jazz Hall” “Hall in Echoville” type deal, but others like Sci-Fi/Adventure/Straight all process the sound a little different and have their own uses.

Honestly the best feature has turned out to be the phone app. My wife has actually be using our sound system because of the app. She didn’t like messing with anything beyond input selection on the Marantz, the menus were easy to get confused by. Now she’s trying different DSPs and figuring out what she likes. It’s much easier to sell her on putting money into a system she uses.

I don’t know what the policy is on linking to other sites, so I won’t for now. But the checked the same place I got my 3080 (for $1399), still has a 1080 for $749.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
About three weeks ago I bought a Yamaha RX-A3080. I almost got the 1080 but found the 3080 as a factory refurb and on sale.

It shares a lot with the 1080 you’re looking at. I can’t say how it compares to the Pioneer you’re looking at, but the Yamaha is pretty solid. I upgraded from a Marantz SR7008. Sound quality is about the same, most decent receivers probably won’t change the sound much on their own. The Yamaha has a bunch of premade sound fields. I ignore half of them because they’re the “Jazz Hall” “Hall in Echoville” type deal, but others like Sci-Fi/Adventure/Straight all process the sound a little different and have their own uses.

Honestly the best feature has turned out to be the phone app. My wife has actually be using our sound system because of the app. She didn’t like messing with anything beyond input selection on the Marantz, the menus were easy to get confused by. Now she’s trying different DSPs and figuring out what she likes. It’s much easier to sell her on putting money into a system she uses.

I don’t know what the policy is on linking to other sites, so I won’t for now. But the checked the same place I got my 3080 (for $1399), still has a 1080 for $749.
I may just do the Pioneer. I love what Onkyo brings to the table as far as specs/price. As i mentioned before the Pioneer uses the same Sabre DAC that Yamaha uses. So the sound quality should be there. I’m also liking the class D amps.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
I may just do the Pioneer. I love what Onkyo brings to the table as far as specs/price. As i mentioned before the Pioneer uses the same Sabre DAC that Yamaha uses. So the sound quality should be there. I’m also liking the class D amps.
Hard to go wrong with either. Similar enough specs, similar DAC, both have preouts if you decide you want an amp later.

They make a great pitch for their amp with “the ability to simultaneously drive 9-channels at 760 W power output”. I’m not an expert so I can’t prove or disprove that but it’s definitely different from what I’ve seen. Class D amps seem popular in AVRs now and they’re all efficient when compared to Class AB.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to say that they're all that different anymore with them being the same company and some technology crossing over (believe MCACC tech has moved over to AccuEQ)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
How’s the sound quality on that pioneer of yours? I know they use the Sabre series DAC that Yamaha uses.
I have no issues with SQ. I also have a x3400 I'm using as a preamp in another home and like it as well. I'm not concerned with auto eq as I use minidsp for my subs in the pioneer setup. I dont eq anything else.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sold my onkyo rz820...

Yamaha known for build quality...
Pioneer and Onkyo are owned by the same company. I would avoid both.

I would stick to 1. Yamaha, 2. Sony, or 3. Denon/Marantz.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Pioneer and Onkyo are owned by the same company. I would avoid both.

I would stick to 1. Yamaha, 2. Sony, or 3. Denon/Marantz.
Pionner is still on the same production path as they were before the buyout. I have zero issues with mine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pionner is still on the same production path as they were before the buyout. I have zero issues with mine.
You could be right. @M Code might have repair numbers for Pioneer.

I know he’s given us numbers for Yamaha vs Denon/Marantz, but I don’t recall much about Pioneer or Sony.

Sony ES has the best 5 YR warranty in the US for AVR.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I've owned pioneers and yamahas in my entire surround time and love both. Just purchased the x3400 as a preamp in my 2ch system and like it so far.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, they don't use the same series. The Pioneer has the ES9016s, that has better spec than the ES9006/7 in the RX-A1080 and RX-A2080. It is comparable to the ES9026 in the RX-A3080 and the CX-A5200.

The AK4458 in the Denon X4400H and Onkyo RZ820 are arguably more comparable to the ES9006/7. They are already too good for human, so I do not believer people can hear a difference between those DAC chips (all else being equal). Specs are specs though, based on facts and figures, so some are better than others, audible or not.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No, they don't use the same series. The Pioneer has the ES9016s, that has better spec than the ES9006/7 in the RX-A1080 and RX-A2080. It is comparable to the ES9026 in the RX-A3080 and the CX-A5200.

The AK4458 in the Denon X4400H and Onkyo RZ820 are arguably more comparable to the ES9006/7. They are already too good for human, so I do not believer people can hear a difference between those DAC chips (all else being equal). Specs are specs though, based on facts and figures, so some are better than others, audible or not.
Agreed, only dogs and dolphins can tell. :)

Of course if money is not a limitation, why not have the best? Think most people know these are not meant to stay current or last forever. New features will come out every few years and you probably end up buying another one in 10 to 15 years even if you can live without those features. (If not sooner).

I like how @AcuDefTechGuy has a budget for upgrades. That’s my method too. :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed, only dogs and dolphins can tell. :)

Of course if money is not a limitation, why not have the best? Think most people know these are not meant to stay current or last forever. New features will come out every few years and you probably end up buying another one in 10 to 15 years even if you can live without those features. (If not sooner).

I like how @AcuDefTechGuy has a budget for upgrades. That’s my method too. :)
I agree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with esoteric gear if you can afford to waste money. I miss my blueish McIntosh back lights. There are a few here that have some less than positive thoughts on their amps with autoformers. I personally liked the couple I had.

So far the x3400, that is the preamp in a Salk 2.x system, performs above what was expected, and is an incredibly great value.

I'm also a huge fan of the Outlaw Audio preamps for being function more than form.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis