Bose: Legit Audio Company or Slick Marketing?

How do you View Bose?

• Real Audio Company

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Marketing Company

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Crapola

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I just don't agree with this, because anyone who is serious about acquiring a real high fidelity audio system is going to do a bit of home work, and anyone who does do their homework in audio isn't going to end up with a Bose system if they are after high fidelity sound. I think the people you are referring to here still don't care about the sound that much, even if they profess that they do. After all, if you actually cared about getting a good product of a certain category, whether that be audio or any other type, wouldn't you at least do a bit of research first? Anyone who doesn't do not actually care that much.
James, you are very knowledgeable in audio and I love to read your reviews. Unfortunately that makes you very bad at trying to understand what general less educated public wants or behaves like in regards to audio purchases. I'd even say that doing your homework before large audio purchase is more of an exception and not a rule. God knows I've met my share of folks right here on ah forums whom bought bose and came for advice or a question after.

TL;DR; Let's agree to disagree.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just don't agree with this, because anyone who is serious about acquiring a real high fidelity audio system is going to do a bit of home work, and anyone who does do their homework in audio isn't going to end up with a Bose system if they are after high fidelity sound. I think the people you are referring to here still don't care about the sound that much, even if they profess that they do. After all, if you actually cared about getting a good product of a certain category, whether that be audio or any other type, wouldn't you at least do a bit of research first? Anyone who doesn't do not actually care that much.
When I sold Bose tons of people with deep pockets and no knowledge bought their systems because they knew the name and thought it was high end. Lots of people with money just want to be told what is good as opposed to doing their own research. Not everyone by any means, but enough that it was noticeable. One guy bought 901's from us on a few occasions and even said how he didn't think they were that great, but people were envious of his "high end" speakers so he put them in every room of his house. This was in the late 2000's.

The people that truly cared about high end audio never step foot in the store I worked in. We simply didn't have what they were looking for.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That is a bit ironic. My dad has a M240i and X30 M40i. I was thinking of getting the M240i coup as it would be a second car. I’m just not sure if I can live with such a small car as my main car. I plan to testdrive it with a car seat to see. I do care about handling and acceleration which is why I’ve been looking.
I wouldn't get an M240i as a primary car if you have a family. It's my fun car. Our family car is a Honda Odyessy.

If you want performance in a larger sedan at a reasonable price, the Kia Stinger looks like the ticket. It has superior driver dynamics to anything Honda, Toyota, or Nissan is doing these days, looks better, and has a great sound system. Only downside is resale, so it's best to buy one used if you can wait.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I disagree. IMO Author's view is heavily slanted. Several lies by omission and incomplete details.
As for the Bose target audience, there are actually two separate ones. One is what we perceive - WAF/less experienced/Lifestyle crowd but with somewhat deep wallets, and there is actual Bose target audience - basically they clearly to me (from an outsider view, if it's possible) as top range Hi-Fi system, definitely meant to replace the "large" speakers from living room, clearly targeting people who decide and look for hi-end, audiophile audio. Just look at their TV ads. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. God knows I've met dozens of people fooled by the brand and the promise to deliver high-quality sound for premium cost.

It's an interesting opinion and M240i series tiny coupe which is far smaller and more expensive than even top-tier Accord makes is apples and oranges. I wasn't looking for a tiny sporty lifestyle car, but a practical, but a fun car at a specific budget in mind and my research were on the dot. Accord is all that and more.
BTW: Accord 2.0T (which is one I got) is faster than current BMW 528i [any trims]. Don't know if your wife picked Accord 2.0T Touring, and if it's a different trim then again - it's not relevant. I also disagree with you on the audio system. My Accord 2018 premium audio system doesn't suck, nor in UI or speaker quality in comparison to the premium tier Harman sound in my other car.
I wasn't going by price when judging cars, though the 18 Accord I drove had a sticker of $36k and only 190hp. That's a rip off IMO. By the time you opt for the "larger" 2.0T 4cyl engine, you're probably up to $40k for a car that is so commonplace and bland. I seek cars that most people don't own, and also focus on driver dynamics over features. Honda/Acura has really gone downhill in quality over the last 7-8 years which is sad because I used to own an 07 Acura TL Type S and loved the car. I wouldn't even consider an Acura sedan these days. The TLX has poor QC and reliability and it doesn't drive as well as its competitors. Large turn radius, front wheel drive cars really turn me off. The plastics got so cheap in their cars and the seats aren't nearly as supportive as I'm used to in my BMW or my prior Lexus IS350F or even my Acura TL Type S.

The audio system in the Accord I drove was an upgrade with metal tweeters. I'm not sure if it was their best unit but it sounded terrible. Weak bass, poor imaging and the infotainment system just isn't up to what I'm used to from BMW or Volkswagen. I have a 12 Honda Odyssey and have had many QC problems with it over the last 6 years. This is not the Honda that I remember. The new Civic is butt ugly IMO. The older more rounded body style was so much nicer. Oh well, brand diversity is a good thing and everyone has their preferences.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The “rocket ship” type Honda rear end of their newest cars looks very strange to me. Not sure why they did that. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
When I sold Bose tons of people with deep pockets and no knowledge bought their systems because they knew the name and thought it was high end. Lots of people with money just want to be told what is good as opposed to doing their own research. Not everyone by any means, but enough that it was noticeable. One guy bought 901's from us on a few occasions and even said how he didn't think they were that great, but people were envious of his "high end" speakers so he put them in every room of his house. This was in the late 2000's.

The people that truly cared about high end audio never step foot in the store I worked in. We simply didn't have what they were looking for.
I can believe that. I don’t personally know many people who don’t research big purchases but it makes sense. I did know one guy who paid full price for an SUV and bought it with no research. We told him he likely could have saved 20 to 30% but he insisted it was just “a small purchase” to him. Must be nice... LOL. :)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't get an M240i as a primary car if you have a family. It's my fun car. Our family car is a Honda Odyessy.
I've owned a 330i and 535i and loved them both. Currently I have the Lincoln MKC. The next "for me" car is definitely a Tesla Model 3.

Our family and commute cars are A Sienna and CMax.

You know.. since we are talking cars :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I wasn't going by price when judging cars, though the 18 Accord I drove had a sticker of $36k and only 190hp. That's a rip off IMO. By the time you opt for the "larger" 2.0T 4cyl engine, you're probably up to $40k for a car that is so commonplace and bland. I seek cars that most people don't own, and also focus on driver dynamics over features. Honda/Acura has really gone downhill in quality over the last 7-8 years which is sad because I used to own an 07 Acura TL Type S and loved the car. I wouldn't even consider an Acura sedan these days. The TLX has poor QC and reliability and it doesn't drive as well as its competitors. Large turn radius, front wheel drive cars really turn me off. The plastics got so cheap in their cars and the seats aren't nearly as supportive as I'm used to in my BMW or my prior Lexus IS350F or even my Acura TL Type S.

The audio system in the Accord I drove was an upgrade with metal tweeters. I'm not sure if it was their best unit but it sounded terrible. Weak bass, poor imaging and the infotainment system just isn't up to what I'm used to from BMW or Volkswagen. I have a 12 Honda Odyssey and have had many QC problems with it over the last 6 years. This is not the Honda that I remember. The new Civic is butt ugly IMO. The older more rounded body style was so much nicer. Oh well, brand diversity is a good thing and everyone has their preferences.
Top trim 250hp Accord Touring 2.0T msrp/sticker is $35,800. Sure, you could add custom wheels and few more options, but most people would probably skip that.
I've leased 2.0T EX-L for $408.52/month for 36 months with 0 down. All fees and taxes included. I have looked at Accuras as well and I do agree that they are more "conservative" with changing the models vs Honda brand. That includes more bold designs and faster changes in driver/entertainment UI (I do hate Accura UIs and exterior designs)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've owned a 330i and 535i and loved them both. Currently I have the Lincoln MKC. The next "for me" car is definitely a Tesla Model 3.

Based on the experiences of multiple Model 3 owners I know, Tesla has had some rather surprising quality issues with the Model 3. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a Model 3 until they get their act together.

Every more surprisingly, I know two Chevy Bolt owners, and they absolutely love them. I was a passenger in one, and it was much better than I expected. It was certainly built better and with better fit and finish than the several Model 3s I've been in. Butt ugly though. Well, even the Model 3 has odd proportions, that make it look like it belongs in the Cars movie. The Models S and X might still find a place in my garage, if I were in the market.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

If you want performance in a larger sedan at a reasonable price, the Kia Stinger looks like the ticket. It has superior driver dynamics to anything Honda, Toyota, or Nissan is doing these days, looks better, and has a great sound system. Only downside is resale, so it's best to buy one used if you can wait.
Kia stinger 2.0T RWD looks like close competition to accord 2.0t. Very close in overall size and power, but accord wins by having extra 4" of rear legroom and much quicker acceleration 5.5s vs 7.2 0-60. Besides residual value, as you've mentioned, I'd also question its reliability.
Further discussion on Stinger vs Accord is here:
https://stingerforum.org/threads/stinger-premium-rwd-vs-honda-accord-2-0t-ex-l.8243/page-2

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Top trim 250hp Accord Touring 2.0T msrp/sticker is $35,800. Sure, you could add custom wheels and few more options, but most people would probably skip that.
I've leased 2.0T EX-L for $408.52/month for 36 months with 0 down. All fees and taxes included. I have looked at Accuras as well and I do agree that they are more "conservative" with changing the models vs Honda brand. That includes more bold designs and faster changes in driver/entertainment UI (I do hate Accura UIs and exterior designs)
That's a good deal,if its 15k miles/yr. Yea, the Accord I drove prob had a wheel package that jacked the price up. They did look nice but wasted on a car like that. With more, power, it's a competent daily driver so the 2.0T is a must purchase IMO.

Acura had the chance to take the 3G TL and make it RWD along with some,updates, but instead they replaced it with,bloated successor designs and lost the spot on being the 3rd top luxury sedan in sales.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Kia stinger 2.0T RWD looks like close competition to accord 2.0t. Very close in overall size and power, but accord wins by having extra 4" of rear legroom and much quicker acceleration 5.5s vs 7.2 0-60. Besides residual value, as you've mentioned, I'd also question its reliability.
Further discussion on Stinger vs Accord is here:
https://stingerforum.org/threads/stinger-premium-rwd-vs-honda-accord-2-0t-ex-l.8243/page-2
I would only consider the Stinger with the turbo 6 and brembo brakes. That's a significant step up in performance to ANY Accord.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Try sitting in a Model 3 and bote the lack of quality of parts before making that decision. I'm very disappointed in Tesla.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Based on the experiences of multiple Model 3 owners I know, Tesla has had some rather surprising quality issues with the Model 3. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a Model 3 until they get their act together.
Tesla's history of making good on problems with their vehicles is well established.

Depending on when your friend's Model 3 was made, there's also the likelihood that the issue is already addressed.

I was a passenger in one, and it was much better than I expected. It was certainly built better and with better fit and finish than the several Model 3s I've been in.
Having driven both, I don't see how that conclusion is possible.

I might consider an i3 if I can get the timing right. I've heard of leases <$100/mo because of the way rebates and leases interact.

The Models S and X might still find a place in my garage, if I were in the market.
Sadly, out of my budget. Given the extremely high cost on parts on those cars (like the door handles), I'm unlikely to hunt heavily used.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would only consider the Stinger with the turbo 6 and brembo brakes. That's a significant step up in performance to ANY Accord.
Agreed, but it would still be 4" shorted in rear and more expensive :)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Try sitting in a Model 3 and bote the lack of quality of parts before making that decision. I'm very disappointed in Tesla.
Tesla has the best electric motor in the industry and the best batteries.

Some of the tech is way cool; I'm really excited about the cruise control system, love the space, enjoy some of the little sci-fi things like the air vents, and the performance is amazing (dual motor range extended).

What bit did you think lacked quality? I ask as someone who owned a BMW that cost more that used plastic all over the engine compartment, had genmods that were lucky to run a full year, had cupholders that no car out of warranty had non-broken, and once lost a battery to the very expensive part they put in to protect the battery.

I mean: Tesla isn't Lexus, but then again, no one is.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Tesla's history of making good on problems with their vehicles is well established.

Depending on when your friend's Model 3 was made, there's also the likelihood that the issue is already addressed.

Having driven both, I don't see how that conclusion is possible.

I might consider an i3 if I can get the timing right. I've heard of leases <$100/mo because of the way rebates and leases interact.

Sadly, out of my budget. Given the extremely high cost on parts on those cars (like the door handles), I'm unlikely to hunt heavily used.
This is how I feel. I like the Tesla models and would happily take an S or 3 (I’ve driven both). Sadly they are all out of my price point in a configuration I would want and used ones seem too much a risk.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
From what I’ve read the Genesis G70 3.3T is the better car. They are the same car but the Genesis has the sportier suspension tuning. Also has a glorious Lexicon stereo that David Greisinger has a hand in putting together I believe (he would have been retired but I believe he was involved in initial development).

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
From what I’ve read the Genesis G70 3.3T is the better car. They are the same car but the Genesis has the sportier suspension tuning. Also has a glorious Lexicon stereo that David Greisinger has a hand in putting together I believe (he would have been retired but I believe he was involved in initial development).
Maybe. But Hyundai is slowly moving to calling all of their cars "Genesis" (like Infinity moved to all their cars being "Q" or "QX")... and I really despise that. So I must avoid them. ;)

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Maybe. But Hyundai is slowly moving to calling all of their cars "Genesis" (like Infinity moved to all their cars being "Q" or "QX")... and I really despise that. So I must avoid them. ;)
?

I don’t understand your concern? Genesis is its own company now. They operate independent of Hyundai now. They are a sub-brand more like Infinity or Lexus rather than just a set of sub-models. Of course they will all be Genesis, it’s the brand now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis