The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I finally saw "Venom" and "The Predator" in Atmos.

I thought the Atmos sound effects were so-so for both movies, had some moments, but not anywhere near reference/demo quality. Nothing to brag about in terms of Atmos effects.

As for the movie plot/story, "Venom" wasn't as stupid as "The Predator", but there is a 99.99% chance I will never watch these 2 movies again. I think these 2 movies tried extremely hard to be funny. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone has any desire to re-watch Schindler's List in 4K UHD Atmos? :D

I just can't see how a drama movie like this would benefit from Atmos.

And I definitely don't see how a black-and-white movie could benefit from 4K UHD. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also finished watching "Ant-Man and the Wasp" in Atmos.

Story was kind of typical of these comic book movies.

The Atmos effects were about average, not a reference quality Atmos demo.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic

And I definitely don't see how a black-and-white movie could benefit from 4K UHD. :D
The Atmos remix would be subtle. But the 4k scan with an HDR grade would be stunning. The cinematography was excellent, and you don't need CGI to make 4K UHD worthwhile.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic

It is a very sad film which I will never re-watch. On that list is also Million dollar baby and One flew over the Cuckoo's nest. There is a bit of colour/red in Schindler with the flower and a couple of other moments. The endings are brutal, emotionally in all of them. Star Wars or Die Hards I can re-watch any time. :D

I think it's late Jan for Predator and Feb for Venom over here in Blighty:p I am just looking forward to my Odyssey cut of Waterworld and hoping it is as I remember from 20 years ago, :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just found out from Auditor55 that Auro3D Commercial Cinemas are actually XD Commercial Cinemas - like the Cinemark XD Screens.

So if you guys have seen movies at your Cinemark XD Screens, then you have heard Auro3D.

I have seen movies (Jason Bourne, Passengers, Fast and Furious 8, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom) at my local Cinemark XD theater and I was not impressed at all with the sound quality.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I just found out from Auditor55 that Auro3D Commercial Cinemas are actually XD Commercial Cinemas - like the Cinemark XD Screens.

So if you guys have seen movies at your Cinemark XD Screens, then you have heard Auro3D.

I have seen movies (Jason Bourne, Passengers, Fast and Furious 8, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom) at my local Cinemark XD theater and I was not impressed at all with the sound quality.
The xd one is the one with the larger screen but all the theaters at my local Cinemark have great sound. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The xd one is the one with the larger screen but all the theaters at my local Cinemark have great sound. :)
So............. IOW, you can't tell the difference among any of these commercial theaters in terms of SQ?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So............. IOW, you can't tell the difference among any of these commercial theaters in terms of SQ?
I don’t recall any bad sounding movies at the one here. Fatanstic beasts and Bohemian Rhapsody I saw in the non XD rooms and both sounded great to me. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t recall any bad sounding movies at the one here. Fatanstic beasts and Bohemian Rhapsody I saw in the non XD rooms and both sounded great to me. :)
Well, next time try to watch a blockbuster movie in one of those XD/Auro3D screens. Take one for the team here. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well, next time try to watch a blockbuster movie in one of those XD/Auro3D screens. Take one for the team here. :D
Ya I did watch the final Harry Potter in the xD theater but that was a while ago. They tend to put the 3D ones there and 3D makes my GF sick. LOL :)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018)
Dolby Atmos / Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system / JBL

1.jpg

Not exactly a knock your socks off Dolby Atmos mix its rather boring with typical helicopter overhead cliche sound effects like any other hollywood film mixes.

There appears to be a distracting mixing error where the sound of the helicopter overhead speakers at 1:56.39 makes a bit of incline in the sound it just makes me want to mute the other channels and look and listen to see how worst the mix can get?

Makes no sounding sense in some scenes where the rotor blades aren't heard on some scenes where it has been so "put in the listeners face" for many other shots.

I rather watch "Luther" being buggered in the basement scene in, Pulp Fiction.

I have only been listening to the overhead surrounds as I seen clips on youtube and I need not have to listen to five screen channels or the side/rear surrounds to tell that this isn't anything special.

The Mission Impossible movies all have a blow 8 score on imdb the newest 7.9 that will soon drop lower.

There's no 100% directional dialouge panning on all channels to put it on par with "GRAVITY" (2013) this is a really dull sounding disappointing Dolby Atmos all hype and the mixers couldn't even make it sound great, Its just an okay mix.

The odd now and then annoying lens flares is distracting. Sigh, (producer) jar jar abrams name does it have to be on this movie. Some of the colour is just what a waste of film. I like the older movies not Mission Impossible just older movies without these direr bleached colours or whatever the hell it is they are doing to it today.

4.jpg

5.jpg

The LIEMAX shots are rather annoying and don't serve any purpose other than one may think the player or tv is acting up. I think the bluray version doesn't have the annoying LIEMAX aspect switching.

The bluray also has the annoying LIEMAX switching. I know I'll just stick some black cardboard on the tv frame it at 2.35:1 and stick some tape on the projector lens to keep it 2.35:1.

6.jpg

The music and end credits was depressing. I think this one is heading for the Cat Litter Box.

7.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Seriously I thought this movie would have avoid the Cat Litter Box. :D

As always, should you or any of your Force be caught or killed, my CATS will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Ethan in the CAT LITTER BOX!

48971922_10156743656250149_4910552107993530368_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I had to do it. Worst Dolby Atmos of many of 2018. Really I think Dolby labs Atmos has to get real as directors and sound mixes are really mixing some lame ones today.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Not going to agree with you on this Andy, not even close. Worst Atmos of the year is Oceans 8, hands down.:D As always, opinions may vary. o_O

An 8 is better than the vast majority of releases over the last couple of years. Fallout is in the top couple of % for this year, even if it drops a bit more it is still better than 90% of the others. So hardly the worst by any metric and better than Gravity which is 7.7 currently. :eek:

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I don't even agree with myself. :D I mean wtf with that opening titles music. I rather have hold onto the self-destruct tape than listen to that dreadful opening again.

I like the original Lalo Schifrin to the tv show. I think they do it in remix stereo now but only found the original mono.

I like Danny Elfman, score to first Mission Impossible, Oh he nailed it with a modern day with strong percussion beat.

From reading the comments Most prefer the Danny Elfman, version of Lalo Schifrin, cult classic tv show theme.

Mission Impssoible II wtf? Sounds like someone strangling the orchestra. Never liked it.

Mission Impossible III wtf. Too many jj abrams, lens flares in it. Sounds like an orchestra on self destruct.

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. WTF did I re-listen too. God Awful. Someone please give me the self destruct tape.

Mission Impossible Rouge One :D Nation. WTF did I just listen too? Sounds like my cat crapped in the coffee with a bad after taste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WOx16_rOwU

Mission Impossible Fallout. WTF someone please give me the suicide pill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH6Dx5BQpw0

Last edited:
R

RTG

Audioholic
Watched this yesterday on UHD and thought it sounded excellent. I recently switched back to the Audyssey Flat curve and the detail and clarity was great. Midrange was on point, LFE hit where it should. Heights sounded great. One of my favourite discs of 2018.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018)
Dolby Atmos / Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system / JBL

View attachment 27578

Not exactly a knock your socks off Dolby Atmos mix its rather boring with typical helicopter overhead cliche sound effects like any other hollywood film mixes.

There appears to be a distracting mixing error where the sound of the helicopter overhead speakers at 1:56.39 makes a bit of incline in the sound it just makes me want to mute the other channels and look and listen to see how worst the mix can get?

Makes no sounding sense in some scenes where the rotor blades aren't heard on some scenes where it has been so "put in the listeners face" for many other shots.

I rather watch "Luther" being buggered in the basement scene in, Pulp Fiction.

I have only been listening to the overhead surrounds as I seen clips on youtube and I need not have to listen to five screen channels or the side/rear surrounds to tell that this isn't anything special.

The Mission Impossible movies all have a blow 8 score on imdb the newest 7.9 that will soon drop lower.

There's no 100% directional dialouge panning on all channels to put it on par with "GRAVITY" (2013) this is a really dull sounding disappointing Dolby Atmos all hype and the mixers couldn't even make it sound great, Its just an okay mix.

The odd now and then annoying lens flares is distracting. Sigh, (producer) jar jar abrams name does it have to be on this movie. Some of the colour is just what a waste of film. I like the older movies not Mission Impossible just older movies without these direr bleached colours or whatever the hell it is they are doing to it today.

View attachment 27579

View attachment 27580
The LIEMAX shots are rather annoying and don't serve any purpose other than one may think the player or tv is acting up. I think the bluray version doesn't have the annoying LIEMAX aspect switching.

The bluray also has the annoying LIEMAX switching. I know I'll just stick some black cardboard on the tv frame it at 2.35:1 and stick some tape on the projector lens to keep it 2.35:1.

View attachment 27581

The music and end credits was depressing. I think this one is heading for the Cat Litter Box.

View attachment 27582
I do agree that some scenes don’t match very well with the Atmos and some Atmos sounds a bit off.

I agree that MI Fallout is not my favorite Atmos demo disc.

I don’t think it’s among the best, but overall, it’s pretty good. I think it’s well above average.

And sure, the helicopter scenes aren’t always accurate, just like the sound of raindrops aren’t always accurate. But I can forgive movie soundtracks and leave reality at the door.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not going to agree with you on this Andy, not even close. Worst Atmos of the year is Oceans 8, hands down.:D As always, opinions may vary. o_O

An 8 is better than the vast majority of releases over the last couple of years. Fallout is in the top couple of % for this year, even if it drops a bit more it is still better than 90% of the others. So hardly the worst by any metric and better than Gravity which is 7.7 currently.
Yeah, everyone is different.

But I think you and I are a lot closer in our Atmos ratings than Andy. :D

I think you and I are more forgiving. We check reality at the door and just enjoy the heck out of the sound effects when possible. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I do agree that some scenes don’t match very well with the Atmos and some Atmos sounds a bit off.

I agree that MI Fallout is not my favorite Atmos demo disc.

I don’t think it’s among the best, but overall, it’s pretty good. I think it’s well above average.

And sure, the helicopter scenes aren’t always accurate, just like the sound of raindrops aren’t always accurate. But I can forgive movie soundtracks and leave reality at the door.
Its not even near or close to demo disc. I may have to hide it. :D

I'd rather watch Alien 3 than torture myself with MI-6 again. Okay chapter 13 is just about watchable :D.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis