AVR's vs Audio phile 2 chanel equipment

R

Reduff2288

Audioholic Intern
Eddie, you've gotten a lot of good advise here and while I'm not one that resides the the 'AVR fan camp' I do believe in speakers and their environment (room) in which they play being of paramount importance. So be sure you're all good in those areas first and foremost. You like Martin Logan, so do I, have you thought about upgrading your Motion 40's ?
Just bought the 40's 4 months ago. Budget dictated the 40's

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have seen some of the Rythmik stuff, just never heard it. I also think I have a placement issue with my sub. I have bass in certain ares of the room and not so much in others. I saw a video on the audiohics site that covers this topic.

Unfortunately my setup is AV and music. So I have to acomidate both types of listening into the setup.
Mine as well, although I am more into music. Cover the music needs and you typically cover the movie audio needs.

You might end up bumping up the bass a tad from the room EQ setting, but that rarely hurts anything. It's difficult to find the sweet spot that works for all the seating equally with just one sub.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have seen some of the Rythmik stuff, just never heard it. I also think I have a placement issue with my sub. I have bass in certain ares of the room and not so much in others. I saw a video on the audiohics site that covers this topic.

Unfortunately my setup is AV and music. So I have to acomidate both types of listening into the setup.
I have a couple of rythmik subs being built by Salk Sound to match the finish on my mains. Looking foward to the 160# cabinets and seeing if the additional weight makes a difference in performance. Rythmik makes a nice product and cant go wrong with them or the other ID products in the same range.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Nothing "unfortunate" about mixed AV usage! Hell, I play video games, and another member said he "felt bad" using his nice speakers to do the same. But their purpose is to reproduce sound, regardless the origin. :)

I've heard different opinions, but IF I understand the middle road re: Rythmik, the servo technogy kind of levels the playground because of the calibration/tuning options avialable. One well respected speaker builder I spoke with recommended that I go with sealed 15"Rythmiks, that they would outperform anything else for mixed usage and that ported wasn't really necessary for me. I'm probably 80% music, though and want to get good low extension for pipe organ. *shrugs
I know others here will insist on ported only. I ended up buying Outlaw X-13s during the sale (price was right) -- absolute beasts! And Monoprice Monolith15"s are supposed to have a little higher output than the x-13s. If Budget constrains your choices, check out HSU!
But at the end of the day, Hsu, SVS, Outlaw, Monoprice, and Rythmik are all putting out very good quality product. Just match the subs to what your room volume requires!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What build are you going with? I know you said ported, but are you doing a different box size or using his passives? ;)
Passive radiators , so ported essentially. Integration will be easier with matching roll off. When in use it will only be a 40hz crossover. Still utterly amazed at the extension of the mains with only a 9.5" woofers and the ability to play loud as well as low. The Phil 3s seemed to have more impact feel, but not a huge difference. At the rate I'm going I need to hide the Amex till summer 2019.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What build are you going with? I know you said ported, but are you doing a different box size or using his passives? ;)
Sorry I didnt answer the box question, it will be larger than the rythmik units. Also not Jim is doing 18s now, website hasnt been updated. If I had to do a single that would have been it

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Phil 3s seemed to have more impact feel, but not a huge difference.
If I hadn't gone with the Phil3s, I probably would have had him do a down-firing build for me... or 2. :cool: I was {} that close!

That said, no remorse. The Outlaws are flippin awesome. Granted in a 2000'3 room, they are bordering on overkill, I've got them turned down to ~25% gain cos they were making my ears go numb any higher! o_O But as Sly says:
Nothing like a Larry Graham, down'n'dirty bass-line to make ya wanna take it higher!
Cheers @everettT!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry I didnt answer the box question, it will be larger than the rythmik units. Also not Jim is doing 18s now, website hasnt been updated. If I had to do a single that would have been it
What?! You're doing dual 18"s?!! Thats an option?!!! Can I give you 5 "winners?"

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What?! You're doing dual 18"s?!! Thats an option?!!! Can I give you 5 "winners?"
No do 15s as I dont need the extension and will still have plenty of headroom. Yes Jim is doing 18s also. I'm sure he would do anything you can think of.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis