AVR's vs Audio phile 2 chanel equipment

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Now that I've run 2.1 or 2.2 in this case, imho, and heard a lot of speakers in the 3-6k range, most of them would benefit from a sub for music. The B&Ws I played 2.0 for nearly 20 yrs and I enjoyed them. While waiting for the Salks, I played them 2.1 and was like wow...subs have come a long way.

The speakers that I wouldn't bother to add a sub to...a handful....most are considerably more than the Salks+HSUx2. I think that's what makes the Phil3s such a value.
I would run subs on the Phil 3s... especially if you are after a high SPL.

Ignoring placement issues: the things I wouldn't consider subs for are more like the McIntosh XRT2k; or perhaps something like a B&W 800N. But I really cannot ignore placement issues; and so I find I'm better served with a speaker that focuses on the "above 80Hz" range, and does that well, and a sub or two.[/QUOTE]

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When the Salks arrived and were connected...they blew the lid off the B&Ws, detail, clarity was very evident.
I see many people use terms like "Speaker-X BLOWS AWAY Speaker-Y", especially after they just bought their new speakers :D

But I think it's safe to say many audio enthusiasts believe their speakers sound pretty good in terms of detail and clarity and would put their speakers up against any other. :D

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I see many people use terms like "brand-X BLOWS AWAY brand-Y", especially after they just bought their new speakers :D

But I think it's safe to say many audio enthusiasts believe their speakers (whether B&W or other brands) sound pretty good in terms of detail and clarity and would put their speakers up against any brand. :D
Though I believe 2channel lover didn't compare brands. I believe he compared his old speakers to his new one and named them by brand.

I don't believe he would assert that a song tower will outperform an 800N, for example... though I could be mistaken.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Eddie, you've gotten a lot of good advise here and while I'm not one that resides the the 'AVR fan camp' I do believe in speakers and their environment (room) in which they play being of paramount importance. So be sure you're all good in those areas first and foremost. You like Martin Logan, so do I, have you thought about upgrading your Motion 40's ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Though I believe 2channel lover didn't compare brands. I believe he compared his old speakers to his new one and named them by brand.

I don't believe he would assert that a song tower will outperform an 800N, for example... though I could be mistaken.
You’re right. I should say “speakers”, instead of “brand”. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would run subs on the Phil 3s... especially if you are after a high SPL.
Just curious, as I will be doing just that... where would you set the crossover with subs and Phil 3s? Thanks!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Just curious, as I will be doing just that... where would you set the crossover with subs and Phil 3s? Thanks!
I'd start at 80 and play from there (give calibration a shot at it).

The issue isn't just whether the speaker can play below 80: it's whether it's best suited to.

R

Reduff2288

Audioholic Intern
Tha
@Reduff2288,

Listen to AcuDeftechGuy . You sound really new to this and I feel you've been influenced by the shiny advertising glossies that are running rampant in the audioworld. Ignore the word audiophile as it really stands for gullable and uninformed. Do you research. Everyone here is willing to provide you with some guidance and show you that the pricey shiny expensive amps/AVRs have no better sound than then main stream components. The ONLY TWO thing you should worry about is matching the AVR's power delivery envelope to the environment its going to be used in and its feature set. Environment includes speaker impedance, size of room, desired listening levels and seating position distance from the speakers.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will take a listen. I am new to this hobby. I have always appreciated goos sounding music. I just put some brands out to the forum for suggestion. I am too new at this to have been influenced by the shiny stuff. Maybe later lol. I have an idea of what I want stuff to sound like. The problem is I am too new to articulate it. I plan to do a lot of reasearch before I make any kind of purchase. I will rely on folks in these forums to help me.

Thank you for taking the time to write me. Any other suggestions are always welcome.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd start at 80 and play from there (give calibration a shot at it).

The issue isn't just whether the speaker can play below 80: it's whether it's best suited to.
Cool, thank you. I’ve got a while still before I get to experiment with that. 5 mos of while. ;) hoping I see the BMRs next week, though... will help pull me through.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I see many people use terms like "Speaker-X BLOWS AWAY Speaker-Y", especially after they just bought their new speakers :D

But I think it's safe to say many audio enthusiasts believe their speakers sound pretty good in terms of detail and clarity and would put their speakers up against any other. :D
Very true...particularly the 1st sentence....several speakers I demoed blew away the 804s, but not all.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Tha

Thank you for the suggestion. I will take a listen. I am new to this hobby. I have always appreciated goos sounding music. I just put some brands out to the forum for suggestion. I am too new at this to have been influenced by the shiny stuff. Maybe later lol. I have an idea of what I want stuff to sound like. The problem is I am too new to articulate it. I plan to do a lot of reasearch before I make any kind of purchase. I will rely on folks in these forums to help me.

Thank you for taking the time to write me. Any other suggestions are always welcome.
You've gotten good advice. I would add that you should look for a sub higher up the chain than the dynamo 700. If you're going to stick with ML at the minimum the 1000 or the newer 1100X. That said IMO you'll get more for your money by going with Rythmik audio especially for a music only setup.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Very true...particularly the 1st sentence....several speakers I demoed blew away the 804s, but not all.
Is there a technical definition for “blow away” as it applies to speakers? Consider as well, we listen both objectively and subjectively, perhaps engaging in both, simultaneously, whether we realize or not.
I don’t mean to bait the conversation, and I’ve really enjoyed reading where the OP’s main question led. I think the underlying philosophy here is fascinating, especially considering my relative inexperience with most of the equipment being discussed, and I’m enjoying learning from everyone’s posts! Thanks!

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Placement of subwoofers is far more critical then what many may think...
I would encourage different positions be tried before finalizing..
Low frequency performance is pertinent, if corrupted and/or unsatisfactory the entire handoff to the other frequency ranges including mids & highs will never have the right character or balance...

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I usually take descriptions like "blew away" or "day and night difference" to mostly be guys excited about new gear :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is there a technical definition for “blow away” as it applies to speakers? Consider as well, we listen both objectively and subjectively, perhaps engaging in both, simultaneously, whether we realize or not.
I don’t mean to bait the conversation, and I’ve really enjoyed reading where the OP’s main question led. I think the underlying philosophy here is fascinating, especially considering my relative inexperience with most of the equipment being discussed, and I’m enjoying learning from everyone’s posts! Thanks!
I'm not sure there is, but when you've heard one speaker for as long as I had you don't really have another perspective.

B&W has been known for sometime to be "warm" sounding and some people take that to be critical. Hearing speakers designed with the goal of flat frequency response was eye opening, or ear opening if you will. Playing music that I've played many many times on my B&Ws sounded different on the Salks, more detail. Wider soundstage,

Secondly...we love the low end, but imo the highend is where the sizzle is...The RAAL tweeter in the Salks is simply better than the B&W tweeter...With most music variation, the differences are often slight but impactful...this ... is what I meant by "blow away"

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Honeymoon period. Give them time. :D
I’m agreeing here about the existence of honeymoon phases. I’m still in that honeymoon phase with my Canton Vento bookshelves in my bedroom 2.1 that I purchased this summer. I’ll ride that as far as I can. My ears are still in the break in period. LOL :)

R

Reduff2288

Audioholic Intern
You've gotten good advice. I would add that you should look for a sub higher up the chain than the dynamo 700. If you're going to stick with ML at the minimum the 1000 or the newer 1100X. That said IMO you'll get more for your money by going with Rythmik audio especially for a music only setup.
I have seen some of the Rythmik stuff, just never heard it. I also think I have a placement issue with my sub. I have bass in certain ares of the room and not so much in others. I saw a video on the audiohics site that covers this topic.

Unfortunately my setup is AV and music. So I have to acomidate both types of listening into the setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis