Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yes, the VT was a great product. There's just something pleasing with a good plasma. The only way to describe it for me is a warm, yet natural image. Add great scaling and it's a fantastic combination. Downside: aside from a lack of HDR and higher resolution, these things can be used as space heaters. :)
Resolution is not really a downside unless you have a really large screen like you would from a front projection based system. Most people with TV's and the size and distance they typically sit from them in their living rooms, resolution is not that big of a factor. However, HDR is, I believe that is what people are seeing as the difference between UHD set and previous plasma, however many are blindly attributing those differences to resolution, thus you always have people using the "4K" TV to describe UHD (which is more than resolution) over "UHD". According to Joe Kane, things like wide color gamut and HDR could have been a part of 1080P displays, however the industry sold people on resolution and afterwards they came with HDR, HDR10, Dobly Vision and now HDR10+.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The 65" Sony 900F is down to $1600. That's what I'm going to go with. Thoughts on extended warranty?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The 65" Sony 900F is down to $1600. That's what I'm going to go with. Thoughts on extended warranty?
I’m usually not a fan of warranties. I don’t have kids or parties though. :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I’m usually not a fan of warranties. I don’t have kids or parties though. :)
The whole one year warranty freaks me out a bit. I bought it without. The geek squad warranty is heinously overpriced. If I decide to get one I'll grab a squaretrade for approximately 40% less

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The whole one year warranty freaks me out a bit. I bought it without. The geek squad warranty is heinously overpriced. If I decide to get one I'll grab a squaretrade for approximately 40% less
Check your credit card (assuming you purchased it with one),it may have a warranty extension built in....mine even extends refurb warranties....

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Check your credit card (assuming you purchased it with one),it may have a warranty extension built in....mine even extends refurb warranties....
Excellent call. I did use a card- all about those points!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Finally had the chance to spend some time with the new TV. Only took 3 days after setup- ahh the family life:D DEFINITELY not regretting the purchase. Upgraded the Netflix to get the 4k content. It looks amazing. Leaving now for work for 6 days. When I get back I'll set up the UBP X700 and see how that looks. Pretty stoked overall right now!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Finally had the chance to spend some time with the new TV. Only took 3 days after setup- ahh the family life:D DEFINITELY not regretting the purchase. Upgraded the Netflix to get the 4k content. It looks amazing. Leaving now for work for 6 days. When I get back I'll set up the UBP X700 and see how that looks. Pretty stoked overall right now!
I heard there is some blooming with this TV

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Downside: aside from a lack of HDR and higher resolution, these things can be used as space heaters. :)
Tell me about it. It lives in the office so the room is small and as I type this has 1 tower pc and two laptops in the room. On. All the time (for the most part). That and my server setup is in the office closet, but air from that closet is exhausted into my dining room. So much heat in this room...

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yes, the VT was a great product. There's just something pleasing with a good plasma. The only way to describe it for me is a warm, yet natural image. Add great scaling and it's a fantastic combination. Downside: aside from a lack of HDR and higher resolution, these things can be used as space heaters. :)
I still have my VT.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
No it is not. The 940E suffers from poor motion issues. The 900F does not. The 940E has slightly better black levels as it also has more local dimming abilities but it doesn't make it a better set.
Before I purchased a Sony Z9D, I studied the 930E which I had at my house for over a week and the 940E. They are not the same sets as the 930E was edge lit and the 940 was full array. Neither TV looked as good as the Z9D on any level.
The 900F has 1 huge advantage over all 3 of those sets and that's motion blur, it has a really great chipset in it for this issue which has been common of LED since the beginning of time.
OLED is fantastic and I prefer the Sony's over the LG's. Neither set is superior all around as they are really close.
The XBRX900F( Pick your size) is probably the best overall TV out there for the money. I looked at the Samsung many times and walked away from it every single time. No Dolby Vision and it just has this strange 3dish effect I can't get over. I don't like how they process video, looks un natural to me.
I much prefer the Sony LED models over all the Samsungs currently.
Buying a TV isn't easy. Right now I feel it's a mess. None of the sets are perfect like back in the day with the Pioneer Elite Kuro's which I held onto mine. I loved that set way more then the Z9D even though it was only 1080p.What it did it did right as I can't say that about any new TV. I wanted to buy an OLED but shy'd away for many reasons. I'm happy with my Z9D but I don't think it's better then my Elite Kuro.
My dad had one of those Kuros I loved that TV when I struck out on my own that was the first real TV I bought was a plasma to this day those are still my favorite Tv's something about the image was just so right for some reason. I wish they had somehow managed to survive to this day Id still be buying them

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
No it is not. The 940E suffers from poor motion issues. The 900F does not. The 940E has slightly better black levels as it also has more local dimming abilities but it doesn't make it a better set.
Before I purchased a Sony Z9D, I studied the 930E which I had at my house for over a week and the 940E. They are not the same sets as the 930E was edge lit and the 940 was full array. Neither TV looked as good as the Z9D on any level.
The 900F has 1 huge advantage over all 3 of those sets and that's motion blur, it has a really great chipset in it for this issue which has been common of LED since the beginning of time.
OLED is fantastic and I prefer the Sony's over the LG's. Neither set is superior all around as they are really close.
The XBRX900F( Pick your size) is probably the best overall TV out there for the money. I looked at the Samsung many times and walked away from it every single time. No Dolby Vision and it just has this strange 3dish effect I can't get over. I don't like how they process video, looks un natural to me.
I much prefer the Sony LED models over all the Samsungs currently.
Buying a TV isn't easy. Right now I feel it's a mess. None of the sets are perfect like back in the day with the Pioneer Elite Kuro's which I held onto mine. I loved that set way more then the Z9D even though it was only 1080p.What it did it did right as I can't say that about any new TV. I wanted to buy an OLED but shy'd away for many reasons. I'm happy with my Z9D but I don't think it's better then my Elite Kuro.
"I'm happy with my Z9D but I don't think it's better then my Elite Kuro."

So you downgraded ?

R

ricks1978

Audiophyte
When you buy a TV, you have a few things to consider, some of which you may or may not realize.

#1 Budget!
#2 everything else.

But consider the following:
How bright is the room?
Viewing angle needs?
Screen size?
Color reproduction?
Gaming? TV viewing? Computer monitor?

For more movie watching in a medium to darker room, OLED is superior. It is going to cost you a little (or a lot) more, depending on what else you are considering. Perfect blacks, better off screen viewing angles, and the best overall image quality available as of now. I personally picked the LG 55" C8 OLED for all of the advantages, but I was close to picking the Samsung Q7FN as well. My TV should be here by this Monday.

For a brighter room, QLED is king. HDR especially will be great with the massive brightness advantage QLED will have compared to OLED. But smaller off-angle viewing, less uniform blacks and greys, and less overall picture quality will be the sacrifices. I would say the only QLED that gives OLED a run for it's money now is the expensive Samsung Q9FN, with a lot of advantages but still not as good overall picture quality as OLED.

For gaming and computer use, screen burn in can happen with OLED so you have to be more careful. QLED is superior in this regard, as there is 0 chance of image burn in. But OLED is often just as good as QLED for input lag and refresh rates. I will be using my C8 often as a computer monitor and game screen, but I will take all of the precautions and it would be better to not have to worry about it. That does not mean the C8 is not a great gaming/computer screen. It has the image quality and low input lag to make it excel for it. Just stinks having to worry about burn in.

For bigger screens, QLED is MUCH cheaper than OLED.

For seats not directly by the center of the screen, QLED picture quality degrades easily compared to OLED.

So as you can see, there are sacrifices and no "one screen for all" no matter what. I hope this helps and goodluck with your purchase. My C8 should be here any day now, still in transit with the shipping.

It should be mentioned that I still own a 1080p Panasonic Plasma and it was used as a monitor and gaming display and never had burn in or retention problems, still works like new as well. So think the burn in risks are not as big of a deal as long as you are responsible to prevent it.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
When you buy a TV, you have a few things to consider, some of which you may or may not realize.

#1 Budget!
#2 everything else.

But consider the following:
How bright is the room?
Viewing angle needs?
Screen size?
Color reproduction?
Gaming? TV viewing? Computer monitor?

For more movie watching in a medium to darker room, OLED is superior. It is going to cost you a little (or a lot) more, depending on what else you are considering. Perfect blacks, better off screen viewing angles, and the best overall image quality available as of now. I personally picked the LG 55" C8 OLED for all of the advantages, but I was close to picking the Samsung Q7FN as well. My TV should be here by this Monday.

For a brighter room, QLED is king. HDR especially will be great with the massive brightness advantage QLED will have compared to OLED. But smaller off-angle viewing, less uniform blacks and greys, and less overall picture quality will be the sacrifices. I would say the only QLED that gives OLED a run for it's money now is the expensive Samsung Q9FN, with a lot of advantages but still not as good overall picture quality as OLED.

For gaming and computer use, screen burn in can happen with OLED so you have to be more careful. QLED is superior in this regard, as there is 0 chance of image burn in. But OLED is often just as good as QLED for input lag and refresh rates. I will be using my C8 often as a computer monitor and game screen, but I will take all of the precautions and it would be better to not have to worry about it. That does not mean the C8 is not a great gaming/computer screen. It has the image quality and low input lag to make it excel for it. Just stinks having to worry about burn in.

For bigger screens, QLED is MUCH cheaper than OLED.

For seats not directly by the center of the screen, QLED picture quality degrades easily compared to OLED.

So as you can see, there are sacrifices and no "one screen for all" no matter what. I hope this helps and goodluck with your purchase. My C8 should be here any day now, still in transit with the shipping.

It should be mentioned that I still own a 1080p Panasonic Plasma and it was used as a monitor and gaming display and never had burn in or retention problems, still works like new as well. So think the burn in risks are not as big of a deal as long as you are responsible to prevent it.
OLED and burn-in is a serious concern. Both Plasma and OLED are prone to burn-in and IR. However with Plasma, the longer you have the panel the less likely it will get burn-in, with OLED the longer you have it the more susceptible it is to burn in. That is what some OLED owners who have experienced burn-in are reporting. Panel lifespan is also a serious concern for OLED. Some people don't like ABL on OLED, however without it those OLED would experience burn-in more than they are now. I just purchased a Sony LED, I'm not that much of a fan of LED, so this will be new for me, I owned Plasmas. My Panasonic Plasma I had to baby, very prone to image retention, sometimes taking a week or more to fade. My Pioneer Kuro, no burn-in or IR, I can throw anything at that bad boy. Pioneer figured out a way to eliminate burn-in from their plasmas.

I really prefer the picture of OLED, to me, the Sony OLED's have the best pictures today. Might be a tad dimmer than most display however they really standout.

Yes with LED the picture quality does degrade if you sit at an angle so that's a downfall of the technology. However, even with an emissive display like an OLED or a plasma why you want to sit an angle anyway? Ideally you would want to sit in the front of the display.

R

ricks1978

Audiophyte
OLED and burn-in is a serious concern. Both Plasma and OLED are prone to burn-in and IR. However with Plasma, the longer you have the panel the less likely it will get burn-in, with OLED the longer you have it the more susceptible it is to burn in. That is what some OLED owners who have experienced burn-in are reporting. Panel lifespan is also a serious concern for OLED. Some people don't like ABL on OLED, however without it those OLED would experience burn-in more than they are now. I just purchased a Sony LED, I'm not that much of a fan of LED, so this will be new for me, I owned Plasmas. My Panasonic Plasma I had to baby, very prone to image retention, sometimes taking a week or more to fade. My Pioneer Kuro, no burn-in or IR, I can throw anything at that bad boy. Pioneer figured out a way to eliminate burn-in from their plasmas.

I really prefer the picture of OLED, to me, the Sony OLED's have the best pictures today. Might be a tad dimmer than most display however they really standout.

Yes with LED the picture quality does degrade if you sit at an angle so that's a downfall of the technology. However, even with an emissive display like an OLED or a plasma why you want to sit an angle anyway? Ideally you would want to sit in the front of the display.
I know, it is a serious concern and I would be very upset if it happened to my OLED. That the the thing that nearly made me not want to get OLED to begin with. But you mentioned having to baby a Panasonic plasma? No way! I still own a 50" Panasonic VT60 that is going strong after 10 years, 4 years of it's life it was used as a computer monitor in my bedroom with static images on it constantly. I bought an i1Display Pro 3 and calibrated it, still has a gorgeous picture and no burn in despite being used by my mom and dad almost constantly to this day. You have to enable pixel shift and that is literally all I have done to prevent burn in and it has worked in that regard without issue. I am sure the earlier plasma TV sets had more issues on this, but Panasonic must have perfected it too because I used the heck out of my VT60 with it being a PC monitor for hours on end and no retention, ever.

I know of a few people who have open floor plan front rooms, not to mention kids like to lay on the floor and watch TV at times. So off angle seats and if people set their TV higher, can be affected by the limited viewing angles of LED. Yes, Ideally you would want to sit in front of the display, but not everyone can. My Samsung JU7100 in my bedroom can get affected in dark scenes if me and my wife lay down and watch a movie. IPS are superior to VA panels for off angle viewing, but they give up a lot with image quality and grey blacks.

I was simply pointing out facts, but I think the OLED burn in thing is overblown personally, or you would have a lot of people reviewing them and rating them down thanks to their new expensive TV having burn in. I will find out soon when I receive my LG C8.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis