Clueless about receiver upgrade

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
Hey all, I need some direction on upgrading my rx-v1300. I hate to make this my first post but I am way out of the loop. I currently have 5.1 with paradigm monitor 5's and a center with a pw-2200.

I would like to have at least 80 watts x4 for music, 4 hdmi inputs and Bluetooth. Bluetooth could be an accessory if reliable. Obviously I want clean and reliable. I am even open to used gear, or closeouts. I am frugal.

Anyone able to point me in a direction, or know of any great deals?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most current avrs should satisfy those requirements. Budget? What's the x4 for music thing about? Multi-ch stereo? You have no plans for Atmos type speakers (ceiling/immersive) or 4K requirements? Hard to tell you what used gear to look for vs what's available in your area. Accessories4less.com is a good place to seek discounted/refurb gear.

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
Most current avrs should satisfy those requirements. Budget? What's the x4 for music thing about? Multi-ch stereo? You have no plans for Atmos type speakers (ceiling/immersive) or 4K requirements? Hard to tell you what used gear to look for vs what's available in your area. Accessories4less.com is a good place to seek discounted/refurb gear.
I don't want to run music though my center because it can't handle what the monitor 5s handle for some reason. I was just looking at an rx-a770 refurb on accessories4less for $339 shipped. That seems like a great deal, but then again I'm not savvy on what is available right now. Is there anything that would be a better deal in that general price range?

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
I haven't had speakers out in over 2 years, so I'm kinda antsy to get a system going again. My twins poked the tweeters out of 2 of my speakers and destroyed the center cap on a woofer when they were 3 years old. Apparently I freaked the heck out on everyone, like really bad. They are almost 6 now and I pulled out my pocket knife and swore to them I would cut off their fingers if they ever touch speakers again. Daddy is ready for some audio again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't want to run music though my center because it can't handle what the monitor 5s handle for some reason. I was just looking at an rx-a770 refurb on accessories4less for $339 shipped. That seems like a great deal, but then again I'm not savvy on what is available right now. Is there anything that would be a better deal in that general price range?
Don't follow Yamaha particularly, more a Denon fan. Denon 2400 is closest to that price point altho would prefer to go with AudysseyXT32 and full set of preouts in the 3400 for $120 more. The A770 may not have the best version of YPAO and does not have a full set of pre-outs fwiw. Still, this is the time of year lines are being switched out for the newest so bargains can be had if you're patient and look around.

PS what center is it that's so different from your mains?

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
Don't follow Yamaha particularly, more a Denon fan. Denon 2400 is closest to that price point altho would prefer to go with AudysseyXT32 and full set of preouts in the 3400 for $120 more. The A770 may not have the best version of YPAO and does not have a full set of pre-outs fwiw. Still, this is the time of year lines are being switched out for the newest so bargains can be had if you're patient and look around.

PS what center is it that's so different from your mains?
It's the cc-370 I think? It matches the monitor 5, but I have blown it twice. Maybe the receiver was to blame, but I just quit running stereo through it.

The avr-x2100w looks pretty nice, and is cheaper too. I really don't know, nor do I honestly care what I get. I just wand a good bang for the buck at this point, and want to buy a solid unit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't had speakers out in over 2 years, so I'm kinda antsy to get a system going again. My twins poked the tweeters out of 2 of my speakers and destroyed the center cap on a woofer when they were 3 years old. Apparently I freaked the heck out on everyone, like really bad. They are almost 6 now and I pulled out my pocket knife and swore to them I would cut off their fingers if they ever touch speakers again. Daddy is ready for some audio again
As a kid who punched out one of my dad's speakers when I was 4....having kids think threats with weapons are a good idea....meh. That could backfire on ya! ;)

It's the cc-370 I think? It matches the monitor 5, but I have blown it twice. Maybe the receiver was to blame, but I just quit running stereo through it.

The avr-x2100w looks pretty nice, and is cheaper too. I really don't know, nor do I honestly care what I get. I just wand a good bang for the buck at this point, and want to buy a solid unit.
Not sure why the receiver vs user would be to blame over limits of the speaker, but not familiar with those particularly. Multich stereo I don't like in any case except for maybe parties where surround doesn't work as well. AVRs depend mostly on feature/connectivity choices but power differences are usually only within 1-2 dB spl.

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
Not sure why the receiver vs user would be to blame over limits of the speaker, but not familiar with those particularly. Multich stereo I don't like in any case except for maybe parties where surround doesn't work as well. AVRs depend mostly on feature/connectivity choices but power differences are usually only within 1-2 dB spl.
I would guess there is a difference somewhere. Could very well be my fault. If 4 speakers are being pushed hard and sounding good, maybe I missed a fifth clipping. Why would the center be different though? Who knows? I know I need a receiver though. Are you saying I should go with the cheapest I can find that meets my specs? In my experience, specs are sometimes fudged so much that they mean nothing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would guess there is a difference somewhere. Could very well be my fault. If 4 speakers are being pushed hard and sounding good, maybe I missed a fifth clipping. Why would the center be different though? Who knows? I know I need a receiver though. Are you saying I should go with the cheapest I can find that meets my specs? In my experience, specs are sometimes fudged so much that they mean nothing.
That just means you adjust your perception of the spec offered rather than take it at face value, no? Why would you use 4 speakers in 2ch mode I don't know. If you want additional spl get better pair of speakers would be my suggestion....

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
That just means you adjust your perception of the spec offered rather than take it at face value, no? Why would you use 4 speakers in 2ch mode I don't know. If you want additional spl get better pair of speakers would be my suggestion....
Quite the opposite actually. I took it at face value rather than adjusting to my perspective. That would be the receivers fault if it was pushing the center harder on a zero adjustment. Not sure what you are trying to prove, but I'm interested in your knowledge of quality receivers. I may be ignorant, but I'd still like to get my money's worth. As far as better speakers, I'm not really wanting dedicated loudspeakers for stereo at the moment. Maybe my wife doesn't like the idea of 18's with giant horns taking up floor space either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Quite the opposite actually. I took it at face value rather than adjusting to my perspective. That would be the receivers fault if it was pushing the center harder on a zero adjustment. Not sure what you are trying to prove, but I'm interested in your knowledge of quality receivers. I may be ignorant, but I'd still like to get my money's worth. As far as better speakers, I'm not really wanting dedicated loudspeakers for stereo at the moment. Maybe my wife doesn't like the idea of 18's with giant horns taking up floor space either.
I'm just saying as advertising/marketing departments get loose with specs dig in and get comparable ones is all. User fault usually than some inherent fault in an amp/receiver as to levels used. I'm not trying to prove anything. I have three avrs in use currently plus a spare so think I have an idea of what I'm talking about. Your stated requirements are more at the low end of the spectrum. Better speakers don't mean 18's wth giant horns, altho that might be cool with the right speaker :)

ps If WAF is a restriction as well as budget, you need to spell it out :)

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Really good sounding speakers aren't horns and huge woofers. At a lower budget price they are the new Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy monitor and matching center. They don't "blow the center" using a properly set up 80 w/ch AVR. And no music should be run multi channel unless it's from a well engineered DVD, other recorded multi-channel source, or in house party mode.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely time for an upgrade. I upgraded my RXV3300 last year to an RXA2060. This gives me the latest decoders and HDMI 2.0a as well as lip sync delay adjustments.

What I didn’t expect to like so much but really am pleased with is all the internet features. You now have web radio and pandora and Spotify. You have Bluetooth and Airplay. You have a phone app for remote control. There is also a music cast app as well. I was a 90% movie guy but now I’m listening to music at least half the time. I have a 4K Samsung TV and HDMI ARC and HEC work perfect with my Samsung and Sony UHD Player as well as my Apple 4K TV.

I think you would want the RXA1070 as a replacement (unless you can find an RXA1060) if you want the same power output as the RXV1300. Good luck! :)

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
Really good sounding speakers aren't horns and huge woofers. At a lower budget price they are the new Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy monitor and matching center. They don't "blow the center" using a properly set up 80 w/ch AVR. And no music should be run multi channel unless it's from a well engineered DVD, other recorded multi-channel source, or in house party mode.
I agree, but "better speaker" was used in regards to spl. I quit chasing the hifi unicorn years ago. Perfectly flat speakers make little difference to me because my room and ears aren't flat.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Back to my comment about new speakers, that was in regards to wanting higher spl, i.e. not blowing the center speaker before your others. A center should certainly keep up with the L/Rs without blowing. Hard to know what went wrong from your description. I wasn't suggesting you get better speakers except in capability, not particularly flat response, if that's what you're referring to with flat ears and all. Now, if you have a lot of extra boost applied via eq to a speaker, I suppose that could have something to do with blowing a speaker...

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
Back to my comment about new speakers, that was in regards to wanting higher spl, i.e. not blowing the center speaker before your others. A center should certainly keep up with the L/Rs without blowing. Hard to know what went wrong from your description. I wasn't suggesting you get better speakers except in capability, not particularly flat response, if that's what you're referring to with flat ears and all. Now, if you have a lot of extra boost applied via eq to a speaker, I suppose that could have something to do with blowing a speaker...
I'm just confused now. I first blew the center on 6ch stereo, all levels at 100%. I had it repaired and turned the center down. (probably to 80 or 90%, don't remember the details now) I blew it again within 6 months or so.

I just assumed you were speaking of better sound because you mentioned a smaller less efficient speaker. I just figured it was the crossover in the center since it is a 3 driver 2 way and the others are 3 driver 2 1/2 way. Just seems odd to me that it would blow again while being babied.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm just confused now. I first blew the center on 6ch stereo, all levels at 100%. I had it repaired and turned the center down. (probably to 80 or 90%, don't remember the details now) I blew it again within 6 months or so.

I just assumed you were speaking of better sound because you mentioned a smaller less efficient speaker. I just figured it was the crossover in the center since it is a 3 driver 2 way and the others are 3 driver 2 1/2 way. Just seems odd to me that it would blow again while being babied.
It is odd but still don't know what you mean by levels at 100%. How do you get percentages from a logarithmic scale? Or do you mean you maxed out each channel level?

Where did I mention a smaller less efficient speaker?

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
It is odd but still don't know what you mean by levels at 100%. How do you get percentages from a logarithmic scale? Or do you mean you maxed out each channel level?

Where did I mention a smaller less efficient speaker?
Out of the box when set on 6 ch stereo the avr has all channels set to the same level. I started with all channels in the factory "equal" setting. After I blew the center I turned the power down to the center in relation to the others. Now that i think about it, it may have been adjusted in dBs and not percentage. Either way it was getting less power than the others, and it blew again.
As far as the smaller less efficient speakers being mentioned by you, I was mistaken. Sorry for that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Out of the box when set on 6 ch stereo the avr has all channels set to the same level. I started with all channels in the factory "equal" setting. After I blew the center I turned the power down to the center in relation to the others. Now that i think about it, it may have been adjusted in dBs and not percentage. Either way it was getting less power than the others, and it blew again.
As far as the smaller less efficient speakers being mentioned by you, I was mistaken. Sorry for that.
You didn't calibrate speaker levels? Does that Yamaha have YPAO to assist? If all the distances are equal and the speakers have the same sensitivity then it might make sense to leave it at the factory levels, otherwise not so much.

M

Mcflyfyter

Enthusiast
You didn't calibrate speaker levels? Does that Yamaha have YPAO to assist? If all the distances are equal and the speakers have the same sensitivity then it might make sense to leave it at the factory levels, otherwise not so much.
My receiver is 16+ years old. You can input speaker distance, and adjust levels with the audible tone. I guess I didn't see the point in adjusting stereo levels to my unreliable ear from a specific spot.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis