Salk, Philharmonic, Ascend.... what else?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A4L and their Canto deal is good stuff! A4L has many other good things going for them, too...been a happy customer for years.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@ryanosaur Polk will be having their annual 50% off sale closer to the holidays. The LSiM Series are a tremendous bargain when priced half off. You could get the LSiM705's, the LSiM706c center, and the LSiM702F/X surrounds ALL for $2849.41! If you don't mind to up your budget a few hundred more you can actually get the LSiM707's to go along with the LSiM706c and the LSiM702F/X surround for $3349.41. Either of these would make for a fantastic setup! Especially, with a couple of capable subs. Just thought that I would mention this to you. I really like the Cherry myself. ;)

https://www.polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/lsim-series

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
You might consider the Aperion Verus Grand towers as well. They have a fantastic 60-day in home trial program that includes free shipping both ways if you don’t like them

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you are going to buy without audition I would check out accessories4less.com. I bought the large Canton Vento Towers and matching center for right 3k if I recall correctly. I absolutely love them!! Great bang for the buck on them and them will be great for that large space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh! Someone who got the Vento towers!
Wish you were closer...I'd drop by with a second AVR and my Vento Bookshelf speakers to see how they compare!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do you mean the RBH speakers with Aurum Cantus tweeters or just the Aurum Cantus speakers? Aurum Cantus manufacters both.
Hi Shady,
You mentioned Aurum Cantus in post 10. Figured you meant the speakers. I found a few models on Audiophile Direct. Very small representation of the product line. Looks very intriguing though! would love to learn a little more abou them and if their speakers are available anywhere else.

Cheers!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I’m in Louisville as an FYI. Move a few months ago. Still moving my stuff here though. Not sure where you are located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi Shady,
You mentioned Aurum Cantus in post 10. Figured you meant the speakers. I found a few models on Audiophile Direct. Very small representation of the product line. Looks very intriguing though! would love to learn a little more abou them and if their speakers are available anywhere else.

Cheers!
The only place you can get Aurum Cantus speakers in the USA is Audiophile Direct, you can order from the internet or you can stop by their place in Torrance, CA if you want to buy in person. Aurum Cantus is more known for their individual drivers than their completed speakers, but I have heard their speakers on a couple occasions and they have sounded good to me. They are not badly overpriced either, the driver quality in their speakers is very good, of course, since Aurum Cantus is primarily a driver manufacturer. I heard the V80F and thought it sounded very nice, and I was shocked to see it only costed a bit over $5k. That is a lot of dough, but I would have guessed a speaker like that would go for maybe $15k or $20k.

choombak

choombak

Audioholic Intern
What, no love for JTR? - these would be great such big space.
I wholeheartedly recommend JTR, they are very nice sounding, and ideal for large spaces (since the speakers are large and don’t really look that aesthetically appealing in small/medium sized rooms).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wholeheartedly recommend JTR, they are very nice sounding, and ideal for large spaces (since the speakers are large and don’t really look that aesthetically appealing in small/medium sized rooms).
Other than only being at their absolute lowest price point for my budget, the lady straight up shut that down! :p Aesthetics have to be approved by her... that's part of the deal. Wouldn't be a big deal if it were my office... but then I wouldn't need JTRs at only ~2000'3. *shrugs
And... If that were the case, I'd be on the phone with Philharmonic, Salk or Ascend for certain.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok... first after looking at everything...
Acsend still holds my interest. Called this morning, No answer. They called back! +1 CS! Awesome converation, too.
RBH SV series. Looks like I could play in that neighborhood.
Paradigm Premier: is there too.
Strangely, I started looking at SVS, wrote them off a bit, but by many of your suggestions, am back. ;) So Ultra Towers and Center at least, maybe Primes for surround duty?

Emotiva. OK. Seriously. What is up with Airmotivs? @shadyJ, you mentioned the powered monitor...
But anybody out there: what about the T2, C2, and such? Gimmick? Passable? Worthwhile? Ugly as @$$, yeah. But how do they perform? (Curiosity killed the cat, I know, but what is up here!)

And yes Shady, I'm still going to possibly travel through SLC and check out the scene at the big TD. Even in light of that other conversation we are a part of. ;) Unless I drink the koolaid, I'll be fine. The UT koolaid I wanna drink involves High West, BTW! ;)

The others: JBL, JTR, Canton, Tannoy, Dali, Dynaudio... Not hitting the right balance between possible affordability and availability.

BTW, are JTR prices ea. or pair?

Revel and Kef are on my med-short list. I'll call Salk tomorrow and inquire.

(Subs right now are likely to be Rythmik or SVS or Outlaw X13.)

I'm actually leaning toward wanting a 4-Ohm Kit. Ive heard some different opinions about 4 vs 8 ohm technology... anybody care to chime in pls? (I get impedance... its not a question of that per se, unless I'm missing something much more fundamental).

Again, Thanks to all for your suggestions. Some of these are definitely new companies to me... Like I said, I only learned about Ascend 2 days ago. Now I've got two more I will look at deeper!

Rock on Amigos y Amigas (if there's any of the latter out there!)!!!
Hey bro not sure what you set your budget at. But I like my 3 prime towers from SVS so much that next year I'm buying 3 ultra towers for up front and then moving the prime towers to surround duties I'll just buy one more prime tower from SVS's outlet store to go with it. So I can vouch for SVS.

I'm glad your going with amps you'll probably need them in that big of a space. My primes sound good on a AVR but they sound excellent if you feed them some power.

On the subs I'd lean towards Rhythmik or SVS especially towards Rhythmik though. Since you like a lot of music. They're known for not just being powerful but very musical as well. That size of room I'd go with the FV18's. Duals. At minimum. Or the FV25HP's. Monoprice Monolith 15 ultra would be good in duals in that room. As would HSU's top of the line ported 15. But since you like a lot of music man my first choice would be Rhythmik

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@Danzilla31
I dig it. And they would definitely save me some money. Rythmik FV18v2s might have overtaken my interest in Outlaw X13s. Dual all the way. Unless I get some extra contract work, I'm gonna be starting the auditions at the local HiFi shop on Friday.;) Maybe I'll get to hear the Monitor Audio Silvers I've been so interested in on Saturday. Trip to UT is getting postponed until end of November it seems. That's my biggest wild card, and second biggest love affair after the Silvers. Interest aside: I'm very willing to be surprised by anything I hear. And if its ELAC or KEF that wins out, so be it. If the MAs or the UT trip doesn't pan out, I roll the dice on SVS I think (nobody around here sells them, so I would be relegated to the speaker roulette table. ;) )

Also If I really stretch out, seems I'll find Paradigm and a few others in SF or a little south. Wishing I could hear RBH, but it might not be in the cards. One shop claims they have Canton! We'll see! Cheers!

Last edited:
choombak

choombak

Audioholic Intern
@Danzilla31
I dig it. And they would definitely save me some money. Rythmik FV18v2s might have overtaken my interest in Outlaw X13s. Dual all the way. Unless I get some extra contract work, I'm gonna be starting the auditions at the local HiFi shop on Friday.;) Maybe I'll get to here the Monitor Audio Silvers I've been so interested in on Saturday. Trip to UT is getting postponed until end of November it seems. That's my biggest wild card, and second biggest love affair after the Silvers. Interest aside: I'm very willing to be surprised by anything I hear. And if its ELAC or KEF that wins out, so be it. If the MAs or the UT trip doesn't pan out, I roll the dice on SVS I think (nobody around here sells them, so I would be relegated to the speaker roulette table. ;) )

Also If I really stretch out, seems I'll find Paradigm and a few others in SF or a little south. Wishing I could hear RBH, but it might not be in the cards. One shop claims they have Canton! We'll see! Cheers!
Are you based around San Francisco? If so, there is a chance you can hear Ascend Acoustics at my place. I have the CMT-340SE L/C/R and a Rythmik E15HP (sealed). Drop me a note here or choombak AT gmail DOT com.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@Danzilla31
I dig it. And they would definitely save me some money. Rythmik FV18v2s might have overtaken my interest in Outlaw X13s. Dual all the way. Unless I get some extra contract work, I'm gonna be starting the auditions at the local HiFi shop on Friday.;) Maybe I'll get to here the Monitor Audio Silvers I've been so interested in on Saturday. Trip to UT is getting postponed until end of November it seems. That's my biggest wild card, and second biggest love affair after the Silvers. Interest aside: I'm very willing to be surprised by anything I hear. And if its ELAC or KEF that wins out, so be it. If the MAs or the UT trip doesn't pan out, I roll the dice on SVS I think (nobody around here sells them, so I would be relegated to the speaker roulette table. ;) )

If you are going to be in Utah, RBH is in Layton UT. I dunno if they have a showroom or demo room or if you will be close enough to make that detour worth it, but if you are going to be in the neighborhood, call them up and see if they have anything you can listen to.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you are going to be in Utah, RBH is in Layton UT. I dunno if they have a showroom or demo room or if you will be close enough to make that detour worth it, but if you are going to be in the neighborhood, call them up and see if they have anything you can listen to.
Thought about it. They are about as far north of SLC as TD is south in Orem. Kinda got the feel from their website that they weren't the place for that, but I should check. It would be more convenient than writing them off completely unheard... and what else am I gonna do in UT with half a day to kill?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are you based around San Francisco? If so, there is a chance you can hear Ascend Acoustics at my place. I have the CMT-340SE L/C/R and a Rythmik E15HP (sealed). Drop me a note here or choombak AT gmail DOT com.
Thank you for the offer, Choombak. I am very interested in Ascend... probably the towers for my space. was contemplating a trip to LA so I could check them out. I'll hit you up if I need to take you up on the offer!
Best,
R

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for the offer, Choombak. I am very interested in Ascend... probably the towers for my space. was contemplating a trip to LA so I could check them out. I'll hit you up if I need to take you up on the offer!
Best,
R
Man this sounds like one badass road trip. Getting to travel have fun and run around and get demos of all your favorite speakers? EPIC! It can't hurt to hit up RBH. They have great customer service they might be able to find a way for you. Like you said half a day nothing to do what do you got to lose? :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@Danzilla31
I dig it. And they would definitely save me some money. Rythmik FV18v2s might have overtaken my interest in Outlaw X13s. Dual all the way. Unless I get some extra contract work, I'm gonna be starting the auditions at the local HiFi shop on Friday.;) Maybe I'll get to hear the Monitor Audio Silvers I've been so interested in on Saturday. Trip to UT is getting postponed until end of November it seems. That's my biggest wild card, and second biggest love affair after the Silvers. Interest aside: I'm very willing to be surprised by anything I hear. And if its ELAC or KEF that wins out, so be it. If the MAs or the UT trip doesn't pan out, I roll the dice on SVS I think (nobody around here sells them, so I would be relegated to the speaker roulette table. ;) )

Those Rhythmik FV18's hopefully have taken your interest in that room. Look up there numbers and test results from data-bass.com. Then compare them to the ultra X13's. numbers from audioholics. Those FV18's destroy those X13's hands down. In every area. But we're talking a 18 inch driver in a triple or now they have the four ported version (even better). For not much more on the price vs a 2 port 13inch driver. And they are known for being tight and accurate distortionless and very very very musical. They will just work better in your room size hands down. But that's just my opinion. One of these days I will probably order some. Won't be able to resist

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Those Rhythmik FV18's hopefully have taken your interest in that room. Look up there numbers and test results from data-bass.com. Then compare them to the ultra X13's. numbers from audioholics. Those FV18's destroy those X13's hands down. In every area. But we're talking a 18 inch driver in a triple or now they have the four ported version (even better). For not much more on the price vs a 2 port 13inch driver. And they are known for being tight and accurate distortionless and very very very musical. They will just work better in your room size hands down. But that's just my opinion. One of these days I will probably order some. Won't be able to resist
Sorry meant to say 4 inch ported version versus the 3.5 inch ported. Messed that one up

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh @Danzilla31 ,
if only you knew...
Instead of building a rig in the greatroom, the WAF just went upside down.
I'm now looking at my office/Neo-Quasi-Man-Space. ~2000'3. This just happened today. *sigh
but in a brighter way of looking at this, I can now consider Philharmonic BMRs as my front 3, and his Mini-Phil's as my surrounds and rears. And I don't need quite so large a subx2. ;) Hell, even if I go Tekton... I can go smaller than I was thinking. Across the board! KEF 750, Monitor Audio 300s. Not writing off the Outlaws, but the FV18's are now dialed back to FV15s. ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Oh @Danzilla31 ,
if only you knew...
Instead of building a rig in the greatroom, the WAF just went upside down.
I'm now looking at my office/Neo-Quasi-Man-Space. ~2000'3. This just happened today. *sigh
but in a brighter way of looking at this, I can now consider Philharmonic BMRs as my front 3, and his Mini-Phil's as my surrounds and rears. And I don't need quite so large a subx2. ;) Hell, even if I go Tekton... I can go smaller than I was thinking. Across the board! KEF 750, Monitor Audio 300s. Not writing off the Outlaws, but the FV18's are now dialed back to FV15s. ;)
This may work out much better for your wallet. You can use bookshelf speakers instead of towers if you want.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis