RBH Sound Owner's Thread

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like a serious pair of towers!
I have heard the previous Impression series and they were pretty nice, I bet yours with the upgraded drivers do a great job! RBH is one of those companies you can count on to consistently produce quality sound!
What sub? I don't recognize the silver front!
Are you pretty happy with it?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Looks like a serious pair of towers!
I have heard the previous Impression series and they were pretty nice, I bet yours with the upgraded drivers do a great job! RBH is one of those companies you can count on to consistently produce quality sound!
What sub? I don't recognize the silver front!
Are you pretty happy with it?
KEW, I’m blown away of the build of these Elites!! Really I can’t say enough about Steve’s review he is spot on with has take on them, I mean this when I say, the best sounding tweeter I have ever heard! They Do Not break up at reference levels! A very clean detailed soundstage! oh the Sub is a Polk PSW 505 it was in my system already it actually does well with those Elites, it took me about an hour to dial it in with the Towers, for HT it’s set at 80hz on my XO “ AVR”vfor now, I may change that still tweeking some but I have it close. My Son help me unpack them when he pulled the grill off, he goes oh man Dad look at this Sexy bitch!! lol he really said that. My personal thoughts are the build are much better than the Polk LSi-15’s I had and I had the whole line. Again, Steve’s right RBH didn’t cheapout on the XO, cabinet finish, cabinet build and drivers. The Gloss Black matched with those aluminum drivers just screams high Quality High definition sound! I’m that blown away just how Sexy looking the Elites are!!

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Congrats mike! Just discovered your announcement as I haven’t been in this thread for awhile. That’s awesome! I had been eyeballing the old 55’s for a looong time, and they definitely received a lot of love over the years. Interested in your thoughts on these.
Congrats.
William, thanks for taking time out! I have enjoyed reading your post and threads. As of right now I’m totally blown away by them! Still tweeting some but they are close to just about where I want them.

Mike

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
KEW, I’m blown away of the build of these Elites!! Really I can’t say enough about Steve’s review he is spot on with has take on them, I mean this when I say, the best sounding tweeter I have ever heard! They Do Not break up at reference levels! A very clean detailed soundstage! oh the Sub is a Polk PSW 505 it was in my system already it actually does well with those Elites, it took me about an hour to dial it in with the Towers, for HT it’s set at 80hz on my XO “ AVR”vfor now, I may change that still tweeking some but I have it close. My Son help me unpack them when he pulled the grill off, he goes oh man Dad look at this Sexy bitch!! lol he really said that. My personal thoughts are the build are much better than the Polk LSi-15’s I had and I had the whole line. Again, Steve’s right RBH didn’t cheapout on the XO, cabinet finish, cabinet build and drivers. The Gloss Black matched with those aluminum drivers just screams high Quality High definition sound! I’m that blown away just how Sexy looking the Elites are!!

Mike
The R-55Es actually have very good bass on their own. You might just try taking the sub out of the system and using the towers full range. Or even use a 'double bass' setting on your AVR if it has that, and turning the sub volume down and possibly with a lower crossover. RBH might be coming out with a Impression subwoofer this year, so think about replacing the Polk with that if and when it becomes available. At the moment your tower speakers totally outclass your subwoofer. The RBH speakers have a greater dynamic range.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
The R-55Es actually have very good bass on their own. You might just try taking the sub out of the system and using the towers full range. Or even use a 'double bass' setting on your AVR if it has that, and turning the sub volume down and possibly with a lower crossover. RBH might be coming out with a Impression subwoofer this year, so think about replacing the Polk with that if and when it becomes available. At the moment your tower speakers totally outclass your subwoofer. The RBH speakers have a greater dynamic range.
ShadyJ, yeah my Sub isn’t one I would recommend, it hits low but it can’t keep up with those Elites, your assessment of it is spot on, although it’s OK for HT not so much for music it will be replaced. I will keep my eye out for that Impression subs. ShadyJ, your pretty awesome man! Thanks for the suggestions on the settings, I’ll do just that, your right about the Elites lowend when I first fire them up I had forgot I put the switch on the back of the sub to off, it wasn’t tell a few songs into my first run I had gotta up to change the angle on the Towers for a better sweet spot I noticed the switch was off. My AVR does have a “Extra Bass” setting, I believe Yamaha’s Version of double bass, so I did turn that to on. I’m going to do just that, lower the XO below the 80hz that’s set now. In settings, “manual” for set up I can set “Bass Cross Over” I just lowered it to 60 Hz I can set that to 40 Hz, that’s as low as I can go in the setting on AVR, and turned down the “volume level” on the Sub. ShadyJ” I do have a question about the HZ setting on the back of the Sub, should I “Max” out that setting on the Sub? It starts out at 60 Hz and maxes out at 120 Hz. Right now it’s about 90 Hz.

Mike

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Given the Elites response, I would set the XO at 50 Hz and turn "Extra Bass" on. On the back of the sub, it doesn't matter where you set the frequency, since the AVR will already be low-pass filtering the bass. Anyway, experiment with different settings and see what you like. Obviously you should it to whatever sounds best to your ears.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Given the Elites response, I would set the XO at 50 Hz and turn "Extra Bass" on. On the back of the sub, it doesn't matter where you set the frequency, since the AVR will already be low-pass filtering the bass. Anyway, experiment with different settings and see what you like. Obviously you should it to whatever sounds best to your ears.
Shady J, morning to you Sir! Your input is greatly appreciated!! I have just done that it made a difference, not getting some of the “Bass” cancellation I was getting. As for my Sub it was apart of my system before I purchased Elites it will be replaced as soon as funds come available, I been eyeballing that Speedwoofer Sub. Thanks Shady J! :)

Mike

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady J, morning to you Sir! Your input is greatly appreciated!! I have just done that it made a difference, not getting some of the “Bass” cancellation I was getting. As for my Sub it was apart of my system before I purchased Elites it will be replaced as soon as funds come available, I been eyeballing that Speedwoofer Sub. Thanks Shady J! :)

Mike
You will need something that digs deeper and hits harder than the Speedwoofer for a subwoofer that can keep up with the R-55E speakers. I would be looking at 15"s or the more powerful 12"s.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
You will need something that digs deeper and hits harder than the Speedwoofer for a subwoofer that can keep up with the R-55E speakers. I would be looking at 15"s or the more powerful 12"s.
Shady J, man you guys rule! I can’t thank You and Gene, enough for all the hard work you guys do for us with speakers and gear!! Because of AH with all the reviews and test you guys do I’ve leaned a Ton from you guys, plus from the ole Timers on here! I’m absolutely loving my new Towers!! A Very Big Thank You Shady J!! ;). I will do just that, I’ll start checking out Subs in that woofer size!!

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
RBH might be coming out with a Impression subwoofer this year, so think about replacing the Polk with that if and when it becomes available. At the moment your tower speakers totally outclass your subwoofer. The RBH speakers have a greater dynamic range.
Just get the RBH SV-1212N. It would also match the Piano Gloss black aesthetics of those Elites. :D

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
ADTG, Morning to ya Sir! Man I’m worn out from yesterday! My legs hurt!! with all the moving around my gear! Crawling on the floor Getting up and down I had to take a 600 mg of Ibuprofen last night my knee was killing me!! It took me till 9pm last night getting everything just right! Those Elites are some Beautiful speakers!! :D

Mike

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, Morning to ya Sir! Man I’m worn out from yesterday! My legs hurt!! with all the moving around my gear! Crawling on the floor Getting up and down I had to take a 600 mg of Ibuprofen last night my knee was killing me!! It took me till 9pm last night getting everything just right! Those Elites are some Beautiful speakers!! :D

Mike
I bet you're tired from all that moving and lifting. :D

Now just sit back and relax a little before planning for that Atmos setup. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That’s the one that needs a amp? If so I’ll go that route for sure!!

Mike
Yeah, the SV-1212N is the big subwoofer that needs an external amp (like your Emotiva amp sitting on that rack :D).

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yeah, the SV-1212N is the big subwoofer that needs an external amp (like your Emotiva amp sitting on that rack :D).
Thanks ADTG!! Makes sense, seems to be a better option. I know of a few who have had the amp go out and had a hell of a time trying to get it repaired.

Mike

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
William, thanks for taking time out! I have enjoyed reading your post and threads. As of right now I’m totally blown away by them! Still tweeting some but they are close to just about where I want them.

Mike
Hey mike, gotta say it again. Congrats, those are great speakers. And beautiful too! I also appreciate the color you bring to the forum. Always fun.
I actually noticed the other day, that little 505 in your setup. I have one too but I used my minidsp to run it only from 30 to about 60hz. Kind of an mbm. The only reason I have it is because I already had two pc 12+, and an sb2000, and my friend owned the 505. He needed a real subwoofer so I traded him the sb2k for his 505. It’s a horrible little thing, but I figured out a way to use it since my space is huge and could use the headroom. I would recommend the cylinder sub, especially if space is a factor. I like the look too.
Anyway, ...

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Hey mike, gotta say it again. Congrats, those are great speakers. And beautiful too! I also appreciate the color you bring to the forum. Always fun.
I actually noticed the other day, that little 505 in your setup. I have one too but I used my minidsp to run it only from 30 to about 60hz. Kind of an mbm. The only reason I have it is because I already had two pc 12+, and an sb2000, and my friend owned the 505. He needed a real subwoofer so I traded him the sb2k for his 505. It’s a horrible little thing, but I figured out a way to use it since my space is huge and could use the headroom. I would recommend the cylinder sub, especially if space is a factor. I like the look too.
Anyway, ...
William, thanks for the kind words Sir! Yeah I agree the 505 isn’t that good, it isn’t good for music at all!! HT it hits just ok, not by much though as soon as my funds get replenished it will be replaced, alone with my AVR. Them Elites are something special couldn’t believe my ears when I fired them up, the first thing I noticed was how clear, smooth and very detailed the sound stage is! Absolutely no distortion at higher volume levels. Absolutely loving them! Thank You! for all your time and input on here! Oh your friend must be in Heaven with that trade.

Mike

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Anyway, ...
Oh that is what you meant by MBM sub in that other post. I was stumped on what that meant. Sub setup for just Mid bass, makes sense. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh that is what you meant by MBM sub in that other post. I was stumped on what that meant. Sub setup for just Mid bass, makes sense. :)
Lol. I forget sometimes not everyone uses the same lingo and I just go clicking away willy nilly!!!
Yeah, mid bass module. It’s only about8’ away from me in the rear left corner so it actually has a chance to contribute without adding anything negative. I DO have to control its operating range though, otherwise once you start pushing it, it starts to object. So far though, it’s been pretty good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis