Aftermarket speaker grill manufacturer

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I would first drill it the right size and try them. Doubtful you'd need (or get) more grip with a rubber hose. Is that something you read somewhere? What kind of glue works good to hold rubber hose to wood?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks Ken and highfigh. :)

It would make sense to bevel the wood before cutting the driver openings. Lot more sturdier. Also, when I drill the holes for the mounting knubs, I will drill them larger then they have to be and glue in a rubber hose in the hole so that there is more friction to hold the grills on.
If you drill slightly under-sized, they won't come out since the knob is split and can compress. Or, since it looks like a couple of the inserts are broken, you could replace them with the two-piece version.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I didnt realize the knubs were compression. Makes sense. I will drill the hole slightly smaller than to take advantage of this.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I just got back from Montreal with the speakers. They are big, heavy, and sound really good. I listened to them under varying volume conditions from soft to loud and nothing sounded off to me. One speaker has 3 knubs broken off and the other speaker is missing one knub. I don't know how to tackle the one withe the 3 knubs missing. My two thoughts are this, cut the 4th one off and use velco to hold the grill on. The other is to contact PSB and ask them how the knubs are fastened to the baffle and if they carry any replacment ones. The cabinets themself look good and clean with the only blemishes being on the bottom where they sat on the stands.

I will supply pics latet on this week.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Why not use magnets? You see what happens to the plastic sh!t.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm wondering if having magnets near the drivers will affect anything.
Doesn't seem to affect my KEF R series speakers. I think KEF would have declined to use them if it affected sound at all.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
In that case, I will try magnets. I will look for an epoxy that works on both the baffle and the wood of the grill. I'm thinking that I should cut that last knub off on the one speaker and use magnets all around. If this works, I may do this for the other speaker.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I just got back from Montreal with the speakers. They are big, heavy, and sound really good. I listened to them under varying volume conditions from soft to loud and nothing sounded off to me. One speaker has 3 knubs broken off and the other speaker is missing one knub. I don't know how to tackle the one withe the 3 knubs missing. My two thoughts are this, cut the 4th one off and use velco to hold the grill on. The other is to contact PSB and ask them how the knubs are fastened to the baffle and if they carry any replacment ones. The cabinets themself look good and clean with the only blemishes being on the bottom where they sat on the stands.

I will supply pics latet on this week.
Drill a hole in the center of the nub and insert a screw, making sure it's snug. Put a wide putty knife on the face of the cabinet and use the claw of a hammer to lift the nub out by the screw- it should come out. If it doesn't, drill a row of small holes across the center of the nub and make sure to avoid drilling into the face. insert the flat blade of a screwdriver into the slot and pry gently- one side should come out or, you may be able to repeat the previous procedure.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Drill a hole in the center of the nub and insert a screw, making sure it's snug. Put a wide putty knife on the face of the cabinet and use the claw of a hammer to lift the nub out by the screw- it should come out. If it doesn't, drill a row of small holes across the center of the nub and make sure to avoid drilling into the face. insert the flat blade of a screwdriver into the slot and pry gently- one side should come out or, you may be able to repeat the previous procedure.

I usually just take a pocket knife and pry it up enough to get something else in there, like a putty knife, to pop them out.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This would imply that I can order new ones. Are they part of a kit? What is the correct terminology for these things?

Found it.... https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-heavy-duty-speaker-grill-guides-12-pair--260-367
The knubs look exactly like this.

Just ordered them. I might as well try and keep it as stock as possible.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
lol, I posted the link to those in this thread. Check sizes, there are two different ones for different size holes.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
No they won't. Magnets are now the most common way of attaching grills.
I see grille guides and and grille pegs as the most common way of attaching grilles still. Magnets might be the most common on expensive speakers but not most speakers.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Magnets are the best. They never break off like those plastic pegs.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have speakers with magnetically attached grilles, knob & socket attached grilles, and no grilles at all.

The knob & socket equipped speakers are 1988-1991 era Hafler 300 floor-standing speakers and everything is still intact. They can be very reliable, though they don't take abuse. It's plastic.

I would just replace them all with new.

If I was going the magnet route, I would embed a neodymium magnet on just one side and a steel slug on the other. That way there's no pole inversion issues yet extremely good grip.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis