American audio industry may suffer a blow..

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You are absolutely correct. It's a major shift from the norm. Look at Canada, they have been protecting products while being some what progressive over the last 100 years. Their social policies dont align with their capitalistic ones, but they worked in their favor for years.
We protect products as well. It's normal to do this. Scared cows as they are called, tobacco is one we protect. I'm not criticizing that. But when we pretend everyone else does that and we are victims because we don't, that is a lie. We do it too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Get on the defense, you stated "were" is assuming no longer. I'm a warehouse worker on the bottom of the chain so I get the pay scales are completely flat these days. 'competitive pay' my @ss, it only means they pay what john doe smith down the road is paying. Not trying to lecture anyone, but it's cool if you took it that way. Btw look at what obama promoted in the coal industry and the bs trade agreements he supported. Screw feelings, I want change, and it has to start at the bottom
Again people get a in frenzy about things we don't even know about. TPP, the evil TPP would have opened up markets our farmers never had but it was distorted and beat the hell out of because it was easy to do.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
We protect products as well. It's normal to do this. Scared cows as they are called, tobacco is one we protect. I'm not criticizing that. But when we pretend everyone else does that and we are victims because we don't, that is a lie. We do it too.

I aplore you to do some economics studies, the US has been beat to death. I'm not pretending about anything, I live in the real world. I have to provide to my family, employees, and community and over the last 30 years there has been only one other time that was as optimistic as now, 95 thru 01. That bubble got its crash cover from 9/11. As I tell my daughter, be grateful you live in the greatest nation on earth.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I aplore you to do some economics studies, the US has been beat to death. I'm not pretending about anything, I live in the real world. I have to provide to my family, employees, and community and over the last 30 years there has been only one other time that was as optimistic as now, 95 thru 01. That bubble got its crash cover from 9/11. As I tell my daughter, be grateful you live in the greatest nation on earth.
Beat to death, my God I'm glad I don't live in your bleak head. 20 trillion GDP, the largest in the entire world. Yup getting our ass handed to us.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Beat to death, my God I'm glad I don't live in your bleak head. 20 trillion GDP, the largest in the entire world. Yup getting our ass handed to us.

Thanks you made my point for me. Greatest nation on earth dosent mean we get walked over because we have it. I get that you dont have an educated response other than my "bleak head" and im sorry that its come to pettiness, but you really have no clue. It's ok to disagree but if you cant make an educated rebuttal, dont just make silly remarks.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks you made my point for me. Greatest nation on earth dosent mean we get walked over because we have it. I get that you dont have an educated response other than my "bleak head" and im sorry that its come to pettiness, but you really have no clue. It's ok to disagree but if you cant make an educated rebuttal, dont just make silly remarks.
Dude look at how dark your outlook is. We aren't being walked all over by anyone. We have the largest economy in the world. 18.57 trillion going to 20 trillion. We have 350 million people. China's GDP is 11.87 trillion with 1.3 billion people. You have such a bleak outlook. No one is taking advantage of us, no one is beating us at anything. We aren't being walked all over by anyone.
It's like winning the World Series and complain about a loss in April. You still won the WS.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
You are absolutely correct. It's a major shift from the norm. Look at Canada, they have been protecting products while being some what progressive over the last 100 years. Their social policies dont align with their capitalistic ones, but they worked in their favor for years.
Canada does not protect products anywhere near to the same extent as the US does. Virtually no imports from any country have any Duties or Tariffs into Canada. I import a lot of items, sometimes more than five figures worth in a year, and I have never paid a Duty or Tariff. I have paid an Environmental Fee ($10) on tires made in Japan. That's it.

For example in Diary, a certain amount of product enters duty free, and once that limit is reached, tariffs are applied. The US does exactly the same thing with Dairy, by the way. As it is now, 75% of the cheese purchased by Canadian consumers is US origin. There is little milk imported simply because milk is perishable so transport is inadviseable as the product isn't useful from distant plants. But it is not prohibited, you could import it if you wanted.

Canada does not restrict imports of sugar in any way, the US essentially prohibits sugar imports via a very high tariff (that is why cane sugar soft drinks are so rare in America). There are many other examples.

But that isn't the point. This topic is about electronics, which by now (Monday 7:43PM CST) we should know if the US will add $200B worth of tariffs on PRC imports which will include complete manufactured electronics (not just parts used to make them). I haven't checked to see whether that has been triggered, Monday Night Football is on ;-)

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Canada does not protect products anywhere near to the same extent as the US does. Virtually no imports from any country have any Duties or Tariffs into Canada. I import a lot of items, sometimes more than five figures worth in a year, and I have never paid a Duty or Tariff. I have paid an Environmental Fee ($10) on tires made in Japan. That's it.

For example in Diary, a certain amount of product enters duty free, and once that limit is reached, tariffs are applied. The US does exactly the same thing with Dairy, by the way. As it is now, 75% of the cheese purchased by Canadian consumers is US origin. There is little milk imported simply because milk is perishable so transport is inadviseable as the product isn't useful from distant plants.
I wasnt aware that the US was the only country that you paid duties on. I need to read up, as that was not what I was aware of. I had clients there in the early nineties that complained about the duties they had coming in from the far east.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Dude look at how dark your outlook is. We aren't being walked all over by anyone. We have the largest economy in the world. 18.57 trillion going to 20 trillion. We have 350 million people. China's GDP is 11.87 trillion with 1.3 billion people. You have such a bleak outlook. No one is taking advantage of us, no one is beating us at anything. We aren't being walked all over by anyone.
It's like winning the World Series and complain about a loss in April. You still won the WS.

Dark? Far from it. I'm just looking down the line for my daughter, her family, their family etc., baring an epidemic or asteroid strike. I'm completely comfortable unless I live past 85, as that's where I have things planned for. Again you should really research just a little bit, and maybe we can talk again about it later regardless of party or opinions, just facts.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I wasnt aware that the US was the only country that you paid duties on. I need to read up, as that was not what I was aware of. I had clients there in the early nineties that complained about the duties they had coming in from the far east.
Canada began reducing Duties in the early 1980's, the reduction was graduated. By the 1990's they were essentially gone. Plus Canada has Free Trade Agreements with more nations than the US (The EU, Israel, most of Central and South America, South Korea, Viet Nam, etc. I forget how many nations but I could look it up ... my guess is about 40. The TPA will add another 9 in Asia (already ratified by Canada) plus the UK after Brexit is essentially just ready for signing,).

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Canada began reducing Duties in the early 1980's, the reduction was graduated. By the 1990's they were essentially gone. Plus Canada has Free Trade Agreements with more nations than the US (The EU, Israel, most of Central and South America, South Korea, etc. I forget how many nations but I could look it up ... my guess is about 40).
Thanks, I'm gonna read up

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Canada began reducing Duties in the early 1980's, the reduction was graduated. By the 1990's they were essentially gone. Plus Canada has Free Trade Agreements with more nations than the US (The EU, Israel, most of Central and South America, South Korea, Viet Nam, etc. I forget how many nations but I could look it up ... my guess is about 40. The TPA will add another 9 in Asia (already ratified by Canada) plus the UK after Brexit is essentially just ready for signing,).
So no tariffs on products made in the US or Mexico?

Edit: for personal use

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Dark? Far from it. I'm just looking down the line for my daughter, her family, their family etc., baring an epidemic or asteroid strike. I'm completely comfortable unless I live past 85, as that's where I have things planned for. Again you should really research just a little bit, and maybe we can talk again about it later regardless of party or opinions, just facts.
Fact, closing in on 20 trillion GDP.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Some people confuse Canada's GST (a form of Value Added Tax) of 5% which is due on all imports as well as anything bought within Canada. This means that imports must be brokered to collect the GST if due. However, anyone can register with CCRA and obtain a GST number, and collect that 5% upon sale. So a US company could collect the GST for Canadian buyers and remit it to CCRA, which eliminates the need to broker the shipment. Many US businesses do so, but not all, of course.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief

Unless there is a specific clause in NAFTA, there are no duties on products *made in* the US or Mexico. Products made elsewhere but sold by a US business may invoke a duty, as it's the country of origin (COA) that matters, not who sold it.

NAFTA is 2000 pages long. But as far as Canada goes, there is the limit on dairy, and there is some protection of cultural items. For example an import CD versus one manufactured in Canada, or the requirement that subtitles in French be done in Quebec or face a duty (mostly affects imports from France). No agricultural limits, no lumber limits, no sugar limits (to mention areas where the US imposes duties or tariffs from Canada). No duties on electronics or software from any nation (aside from the usual total prohibition on imports from North Korea, Taliban controlled areas of Afganistan, etc).

You are most likely to find duties on things like machine tools from non NAFTA or non-FTA nations. Although things are very preliminary, so it's premature to suggest anything will come from it, Canada is in early talks with the PRC for a FTA.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Unless there is a specific clause in NAFTA, there are no duties on products *made in* the US or Mexico. Products made elsewhere but sold by a US business may invoke a duty, as it's the country of origin (COA) that matters, not who sold it.

NAFTA is 2000 pages long. But as far as Canada goes, there is the limit on dairy, and there is some protection of cultural items. For example an import CD versus one manufactured in Canada, or the requirement that subtitles in French be done in Quebec or face a duty (mostly affects imports from France). No agricultural limits, no lumber limits, no sugar limits (to mention areas where the US imposes duties or tariffs from Canada).
I've just been reading this as a quick look and will delve a little more next weekend
https://www.export.gov/article?id=Canada-Import-Tariffs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

That is the whole goal of NAFTA, to eliminate tariffs within the three countries for products made in these countries (or up to a certain amount of content), to enable freer trade amont the member countries. Similar to the EU for trade within it's group of countries, or other trade agreements among groups of countries.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
For Pete's sake stop. That's like me saying the music is loud.
I know stop with the facts that doesn't fit the "we are being walked all over" narrative. You got it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That is the whole goal of NAFTA, to eliminate tariffs within the three countries for products made in these countries (or up to a certain amount of content), to enable freer trade amont the member countries. Similar to the EU for trade within it's group of countries, or other trade agreements among groups of countries.
I'm aware of NAFTA, and it has never been straight up equal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis