looking to upgrade from my trusty Cambridge S30s

O

OaktownPete

Enthusiast
hey everyone. haven't posted in forever, but looking for suggestions....

backgound - I started with PSB B25/matching center for my front 3, back in the day. really liked them, but came into a few bucks and upgraded to Paradigm Studio 40 v4 w/matching 590 center and an upgraded Denon receiver, which I absolutely loved. GREAT for HT in my DEN (2K Cu ft) and very good for music (better for more comtemporary/electronic and still very good for acoustic - jazz and classical). wife's health issues forced sale of my rig, except for sub, and I "downgraded" to Cambridge S30-based front 3. decent, but I was only "making due".

times are better, so I'm looking to step up a level.

I am looking to spend $800 to $1,000 for a 3.0 sometime by the end of the year. I ASSUME this will get me a decent upgrade.

so far, here is what my research leads me...

- I have read about the new KEFs (350/150/matching center), I should be able to audition these LIVE soon at the local Magnolia.

- Cantons available at AC4L (looks like the 500 series are the ones to get),

- Focals... heard the 700s when I auditioned my 'Digms and liked them (definitely better than the B& W 600s but not up to the 'Digms). 700s are hardeer to find, so what's up with the readily available 600?

- I know my old friends at Paradigm have come out with a couple of new lines - Monitor SE line and Premier line.

- I have read about RBH here, and their entry level (R5/R5E) seem to be in my hitting zone.

finally, I will also add that while listening to stuff in my favorite local B&M (who carries 'Digms), he had a Danish speaker (SytemsAudio/SA), which sounded marvelous, and similar to the Dynaudios that I have heard over the years, and loved.

would like to upgrade from S30-based system. less is better, but willing to pay for a major upgrade. music first.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Listen to whatever speakers you are able to listen to -- since it seems that it will be a couple of months till you buy

AC4L will have some holiday sales and Canton will be one of the Items on sale -- I would keep the Canton on a short list

While the Focal Chorus is nice/decent -- I would not go lower than the Aria series

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Canton almost seems like a well-kept secret that shouldn't be a secret at all. They hit way above the price point AC4L is selling them at. I had the "entry level" GLE 496.2 towers and they were amazing for a $750 pair of speakers. Sold them only because I'm stupid stubborn and don't want to use a sub in my 2-channel system. But the mids and highs were breathtaking. Even the gentleman who bought them was blown away by a quick and dirty living room demo, and there was no "optimal placement" involved whatsoever. I can only imagine what their higher ranges are capable of.

O

OaktownPete

Enthusiast
what about Dalis? Sensors were always highly rated and the new Spector line is out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis