Speakers impedance?

addahasan

addahasan

Audiophyte
Hi,
I have a question regarding the impedance of speakers.
Lets say we have an 8 ohms speakers 4 way, 1 woofer, 1 midrange, 2 tweeter all of them are rated at 8 ohms impedance. As I read in many forums that the impedance will be added if speakers are added in parallel. I looked up a lot of speakers specially my AKAi SW-156 its a 4 way speaker all connected in parallel. How would it be a total impedance of 8 ohms as it is rated as 8 ohms in total?

with reference to the schematics of the crossover of AKAI SW-156:

Doesn't 4 way parallel connected speaker makes it 32 ohms speaker?

if not, why?

Attachments

addahasan

addahasan

Audiophyte
Is there a simple answer to it or do i have to buy and study a whole book for that?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
When wiring speakers to an amp in parallel or series you either half or double each pair connected. When talking about a speakers internal wiring it's a whole different circumstance as that is drivers and a crossover and it's not the same.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The network you illustrated is a four way parallel first order network, with 6 db per octave slopes.

Now in a network like that the impedance rises out of band, so the 8 ohm is seen only in band.

However it is not that simple and there is a lot of overlap with that crossover.

In any speaker system the impedance is always complex with peaks and valleys as the speakers and crossover components are always reactive.

So to really know you have to measure the impedance curve of the speaker. You can do that with purchased computer connected measuring equipment. An ohm meter is no use whatever.

addahasan

addahasan

Audiophyte
The network you illustrated is a four way parallel first order network, with 6 db per octave slopes.

Now in a network like that the impedance rises out of band, so the 8 ohm is seen only in band.

However it is not that simple and there is a lot of overlap with that crossover.

In any speaker system the impedance is always complex with peaks and valleys as the speakers and crossover components are always reactive.

So to really know you have to measure the impedance curve of the speaker. You can do that with purchased computer connected measuring equipment. An ohm meter is no use whatever.
Thank you very much, and not trying to do anything I just added an extra tweeter to my center speaker which is JAMO, Seems to miss some high frequencies. I am a good quality sound system listener but not much left in todays market for quality except for some very expensive stuff.

Last edited:
addahasan

addahasan

Audiophyte
Just needed to know if the 6 ohms tweeter with a 2.2 capacitor hooked with my center speaker increased the total impedance?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis