RX A3080 fades in + out between 9 channel + stereo ITS BACK, doing same thing!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes I have a 5 channel amp XPA-5, 1st gen. Really don’t need 9 channels, want the flagship for the Saber Pro chip and the “AI” but the 2080 and the 1080 has the AI also.

Mike
If you are sure you won't want to try 11 channels in the next few years, then the 2080 is just as good, but are you really sure? I went from 11 channel to 7 channel for less than two weeks and then back to 11 channel, though I am still just using 7 channels, for now..:D The 3080 does have a better DAC chip but I highly doubt the overall difference is audible, especially now the 2080 is fitted with the ES9007. I can't find the data sheet for the ES9007 but I would imagine it should be a little better than the 2070's ES9006.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you are sure you won't want to try 11 channels in the next few years, then the 2080 is just as good, but are you really sure? I went from 11 channel to 7 channel for less than two weeks and then back to 11 channel, though I am still just using 7 channels, for now..:D The 3080 does have a better DAC chip but I highly doubt the overall difference is audible, especially now the 2080 is fitted with the ES9007. I can't find the data sheet for the ES9007 but I would imagine it should be a little better than the 2070's ES9006.
I got the 2060 over the 1060 last year because it has separate sub adjustments too. I have one sub but eventually I may add a 2nd.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I got the 2060 over the 1060 last year because it has separate sub adjustments too. I have one sub but eventually I may add a 2nd.
Snakeeyes, I forgot about the separate sub adjustments, PENG, makes no sense to compromise over a few hundred bucks you made very valid points. Looks like Good4it, got his AVR up and running right, sooo looks like A3080 is back on the menu.

Mike

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Its BACK! Doing it again. Same thing. Very sad.
So it has bad software. Just don't use that mode. You have some very nice speakers. I can't imagine anything will make them sound better then playing them straight, with no Eq or any "funny" software driven algorithms.

If you get another receiver pretty much guaranteed it will do the same thing.

All readers beware the techno bloat in current receivers. Pretty soon I will be telling people to go back to tubes!

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
So it has bad software. Just don't use that mode. You have some very nice speakers. I can't imagine anything will make them sound better then playing them straight, with no Eq or any "funny" software driven algorithms.

All readers beware the techno bloat in current receivers. Pretty soon I will be telling people to go back to tubes!

Lots of sympathy there.

When you buy a NEW AVR YOU and I expect EVERYTHING to work. Ignored issues doesn’t mean they go away.
Send me $2000 plus freight and I’ll send it to you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Yeah, Yamaha needs to get rid of this 9CH Stereo DSP mode along with their other million DSP modes.

If they can't get them to sound great, why even offer them?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Lots of sympathy there.

When you buy a NEW AVR YOU and I expect EVERYTHING to work. Ignored issues doesn’t mean they go away.
Send me $2000 plus freight and I’ll send it to you.
The difference between you and me is that unlike you, I would expect a feature like that not to work and actually be shocked if it did. I really dislike receivers and do not use them. None of them would be any use in my system.

I use pro pros but do not use the junk loaded up on those. "Keep it simple stupid" is actually a good mantra to live by. This is especially true when the use of technology is gratuitous as it is in this case.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’d look at the manual to see if AI can be disabled. What firmware are you on?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The download page says firmware update 1.09 is new as of today. I’d try that

TechHDS

Audioholic General
The download page says firmware update 1.09 is new as of today. I’d try that
I bet they just worked out the new firmware, right after Roger put in that call on his unit. Yamaha doesn’t want a bunch of newly released flagship units with bugs. A3080 back off the menu. Of all AVR’s dam da bad luck! Looks like the A2070 is back on the menu. Sorry to hear about the Roger, we sure are pulling for you hoping it was a easy fix looks like a defective unit. Snakeeyes, in his post said Yamaha just released a new update for the 3080 Sooo. I’d do the update see if Yamaha’s update clears it up.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I really dislike receivers and do not use them.
AVRs can be great, but just don't ask AVRs to do All-Channels-Driven like 9CH or MCH Stereo DSP modes.

The Yamaha MX-A5000 amp (150WPC) is probably similar to the amp inside the RX3080.

Guess what happens when you ask it to do more than 5CH Driven? Protection mode!

So it appears this 9CH mode is kicking the heck out of the RX3080 (with 84dB/w/m sensitive speakers).

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
AVRs can be great, but just don't ask AVRs to do All-Channels-Driven like 9CH or MCH Stereo DSP modes.

The Yamaha MX-A5000 amp (150WPC) is probably similar to the amp inside the RX3080.

Guess what happens when you ask it to do more than 5CH Driven? Protection mode!
True, but in practice it would likely be a moot point for users with ext power amp but plug into a 15A outlet. Totally moot if the same users don't listen to 5/7 ch stereo.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
True, but in practice it would likely be a moot point for users with ext power amp but plug into a 15A outlet..
Yeah, 15A outlet would be another factor.

1. 9Ch Mode
2. 15A Outlet
3. 84dB/w/m Speakers

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Roger, did you notice “snakeeyes” post? Yamaha just released a new firmware update today for your A3080.

Mike
It might take a day or two for the new 1.09 firmware to show up on the AVR since they just released it today (8/28/18).

I was looking for OLDER models (CX-A5100, RX3070, etc) and the latest firmware was version 2.58 from 6/14/18.

So this brand new update (version 1.09) is only for the new (3080, 2080, 1080) models.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
It might take a day or two for the new 1.09 firmware to show up on the AVR since they just released it today (8/28/18).

I was looking for OLDER models (CX-A5100, RX3070, etc) and the latest firmware was version 2.58 from 6/14/18.

So this brand new update (version 1.09) is only for the new (3080, 2080, 1080) models.
ADTG, seems like a firmware issue Good4it is having with his a3080, He did a reset and it cleared up. Just an opinion is all, I’m hoping it’s that cause I’ll be making a move on a flagship be it the a3080 or the a3070 if the firmware doesn’t clear up the issue with his 3080. Or I may just go with the 1080 like we had talked about. Man sure had my heart set on that flagship.

Mike

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis