KEF LS50 tops all of them

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Damn. I was hoping for some forum drama!
Did you ever release your evaluation of the Monolith sub? I mentioned it so it comes to mind. I don't know that I ever saw one or read one

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Did you ever release your evaluation of the Monolith sub? I mentioned it so it comes to mind. I don't know that I ever saw one or read one
Yes, it was published a few months ago. It can be read here.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
snakeyes
The short version of the answer: I love that thing. Completely disses the replaced Klipsch 10" sub.

The longer version of the answer is along the lines of making sure an upgrade is an audible upgrade and not a paper tiger. I had a free money back return period, so even though I couldn't listen in advance (they were brand new at the time and you couldn't find them anywhere) I was willing to take the chance. For me, the Monolith kicked the Klipsch sub to the curb in the first 10 minutes.

I believe @shadyJ was working on an evaluation of the subs at the time and though he didn't spill any beans on the details, he did nod his head approvingly when I said I was going to jump on them the day they became available. The Monolith sub is built like a tank, looks fantastic, and it does what the best subs should do. It delivers the lower register under control and disappears in the room completely.

My other choices at the time were the Hsu and the SVS subs. I'm sure they would have been fantastic as well. Those of you who chose them chose well I'm sure. I simply had an itch to try out the Monolith and they were a homerun right along with the Songtowers.
It's not about the sub, but I will add this anyway; every time I visit this web page, among the articles spinning in the carousel there’s a review of Monoprice Monolith K-BAS and I always, always think how good they look for the price range. It’s a simple clean look, but very effective. Really Monolith-like.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah your right relatively speaking, I think we prefer a more accurate bass. Bass is not necessarily a strong suit of my speakers. I roll them off at 60hz and it works pretty good. I like the rythmik sub to fill in the rest. Although sometimes I wish for a bit tighter bass. Maybe that's more a characteristic of the speaker, then room eq. Ypao doesn't touch bass of course.
In post#65, I included a comparison graph between Audyssey On vs Off for the LS50 and E15HP, I am posting it below again to show the possible reason why someone might prefer the bass bumps with Audyssey off. This time I am also including one for my HT subwoofers in room response,

LS50 with Sub, 1/12 smoothing, two channels:

LS50E15HPAudysseyOnVsOff.jpg

HT room Subs only, 1/24 smoothing:

SubFRAudysseyOnVsOff.jpg

HT room SVS Subs, with phase response, Audyssey off, no smoothing:

HTSubsFR&PHAudysseyOff.jpg

HT room SVS Subs, with phase response, Audyssey On, no smoothing:

HTSubsFR&PRAudysseyOn.jpg
also Audyssey On vs Off. One can again see why someone would prefer Audyssey off, even though the FR is obviously much less accurate, and the phases didn't look well either.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Your graphs confuse me, but I apologize because it's something I don't have much experience in deciphering.

On the first two graphs, there are two different color lines. Is the darker line representing Audyssey OFF and the purple line showing Audyssey ON?

The second two really throw me. I'm not sure how to read them because of the curved black line running through the middle. What app generates these? I'm hoping when I get Dirac Live in a couple months I'll be getting a good education.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Your graphs confuse me, but I apologize because it's something I don't have much experience in deciphering.

On the first two graphs, there are two different color lines. Is the darker line representing Audyssey OFF and the purple line showing Audyssey ON?

The second two really throw me. I'm not sure how to read them because of the curved black line running through the middle. What app generates these? I'm hoping when I get Dirac Live in a couple months I'll be getting a good education.
Sorry about the black curve that is not supposed to be there. Let me investigate and get back to you later.

The red ones in the first two are Audyssey on, that's why they are flatter.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The second two really throw me. I'm not sure how to read them because of the curved black line running through the middle. What app generates these?
According to REW "help", the black curve is "Mic/Meter Cal". It shows the response for the calibration curve for the Mic. I never had to analyze the phase graph and that's probably why I did not notice its existence, so thank you very much for asking. When you start using Dirac, it is a good idea to check the results with REW/Umik-1, a $90 investment, well worth it imo..

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I do plan to buy a calibrated Umik. I know nothing about REW.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis