Cd Player - Digital Optical vs Analog RCA

Do you recommend Digital or Analog connections?

• Total voters
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just wondering, does your Sony player have multi-channel RCA output, or just stereo. Also, as I remember it, when HDCD was launched it was seen as a competitor to SACD, and SACD prevailed. At any rate, if I were you, I would not pursue any sort of quest to have HDCD capability beyond what you already have. On the other hand, if you want to explore DSD sound consider multi-channel SACD, if the selection genres are to your liking. All you need to accommodate multi-channel SACD today is a modern Sony Universal Ultra Blu-ray Player and an AVR with HDMI input.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just wondering, does your Sony player have multi-channel RCA output, or just stereo. Also, as I remember it, when HDCD was launched it was seen as a competitor to SACD, and SACD prevailed. At any rate, if I were you, I would not pursue any sort of quest to have HDCD capability beyond what you already have. On the other hand, if you want to explore DSD sound consider multi-channel SACD, if the selection genres are to your liking. All you need to accommodate multi-channel SACD today is a modern Sony Universal Ultra Blu-ray Player and an AVR with HDMI input.
Sterling,

I don't think the HDCD was really a competitor to SACD as it does not provide for surround sound.

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
Sterling,

I don't think the HDCD was really a competitor to SACD as it does not provide for surround sound.
Talking about SACD I heard it was a scam and it has something to do with bass. I read that many years ago.

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
If your Linn CD player decodes HDCDs, you won't get any improvement with a external DAC. Linn is a respectable company and I'm sure that what they put in their CD players is of high quality.
Mmm maybe I need to send the DAC back.

Last edited:
W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
What DACs currently decode HDCD?
There's a few.... There's the Alpha by Berkeley Audio Design (that one goes for around $5,000 US) and the Pacific Microsonics Model 2 (I heard they sell for around $20,000 if you can find one). I found another one about a week ago and it was blue and sold for about $5,000 Aussie dollars but I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure there are many more out there as well.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Talking about SACD I heard it was a scam and it has something to do with bass. I read that many years ago.
SACD is actually awesome. I also like DVD Audio and DTS CD. Some of these are still available new but used is how I get mine. But the only non-extinct option for new releases is Blu-ray Audio. Lots of concert discs are using this format. Hoping it catches on.

My player is the Sony UBP x800. It can play all of these formats over hdmi 2.0a

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
If your Linn CD player decodes HDCDs, you won't get any improvement with a external DAC. Linn is a respectable company and I'm sure that what they put in their CD players is of high quality.
I just go an email back from Linn and they said that the Genki will output an HDCD signal through the digital output when an HDCD disc is played. It looks like I'm all safe to go now ;o)

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
SACD is actually awesome. I also like DVD Audio and DTS CD. Some of these are still available new but used is how I get mine. But the only non-extinct option for new releases is Blu-ray Audio. Lots of concert discs are using this format. Hoping it catches on.

My player is the Sony UBP x800. It can play all of these formats over hdmi 2.0a
It's just a shame none of the better formats took off like Blu Ray took off over DVD's and like DVD's took over videotapes.

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
Unfortunately I heard Linn doesn't even make CD players anymore and have now gone into music server box things. Such a shame :eek:

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
I just go an email back from Linn and they said that the Genki will output an HDCD signal through the digital output when an HDCD disc is played. It looks like I'm all safe to go now ;o)
I got another email from Linn saying:
Whilst the Genki will output an HDCD signal through the SPDIF digital connection when a disc with HDCD audio is played, as this signal is digital, you will require to connect the Genki to an external DAC that is capable of processing an HDCD signal. If you do not use an external DAC that cannot process an HDCD signal, this DAC will only process the standard CD signal within the disc.
Oh well that's it then...... The DAC is going back and I'll need to buy one with a HDCD decoder.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I got another email from Linn saying:
Whilst the Genki will output an HDCD signal through the SPDIF digital connection when a disc with HDCD audio is played, as this signal is digital, you will require to connect the Genki to an external DAC that is capable of processing an HDCD signal. If you do not use an external DAC that cannot process an HDCD signal, this DAC will only process the standard CD signal within the disc.
Oh well that's it then...... The DAC is going back and I'll need to buy one with a HDCD decoder.
What are the requirements for HDCD?

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
As far as I know the DAC just needs a HDCD decoder inside of it (I think it's a chip). Or are you asking why I need it? That's because I have a whole stack of HDCD's that I searched hard to find so I want to make the most of them.

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
Oh well I guess I'll have to get an Alpha DAC Series 2

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's a few.... There's the Alpha by Berkeley Audio Design (that one goes for around $5,000 US) and the Pacific Microsonics Model 2 (I heard they sell for around $20,000 if you can find one). I found another one about a week ago and it was blue and sold for about $5,000 Aussie dollars but I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure there are many more out there as well.
So nothing without ridiculous pricing (or AD/DA type for professional use)? So what happened to your Linn? Did it stop working?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
As far as I know the DAC just needs a HDCD decoder inside of it (I think it's a chip). Or are you asking why I need it? That's because I have a whole stack of HDCD's that I searched hard to find so I want to make the most of them.
Oh I have a few HDCD titles as well. Sounds like an ancient decoder or a new $700 Cambridge UHD player would be what is needed. Not sure it is worth chasing.

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
So nothing without ridiculous pricing (or AD/DA type for professional use)? So what happened to your Linn? Did it stop working?
My Linn CD player still works I just heard that external DAC's are better than ones inside CD players. I won't be able to send my new DAC back either because the company reckons they don't accept returns. Because of that I'm stuck with it. I was going to buy the Alpha DAC Series 2 but I will have to shop around for that because the first company I emailed about it claimed it costs $11,995! How is it a DAC that cost $4995 (probably US $'s) 6 years ago now costs over double that? Someone's trying to rip me off.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My Linn CD player still works I just heard that external DAC's are better than ones inside CD players. I won't be able to send my new DAC back either because the company reckons they don't accept returns. Because of that I'm stuck with it. I was going to buy the Alpha DAC Series 2 but I will have to shop around for that because the first company I emailed about it claimed it costs $11,995! How is it a DAC that cost $4995 (probably US $'s) 6 years ago now costs over double that? Someone's trying to rip me off.
You are overthinking this. Just use the Linn. There is a lot of hype around DACs...

W

wormgrass

Enthusiast
I can't help myself and this should be my last expensive buy for a long time;)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I'm using my 2013 NAD Cd player using its DAC into my HK 3490 receiver which has a dedicated DAC. If I would use an older or cheaper CD player I would use the DAC on the HK. Works for me.
Dave

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since I have no HDCDs I never looked into the OPPO I own playing them; but, looking into it just now, I discovered OPPOs from the 83 to the 103 have DACs which support HDCD. You might want to look at buying a used one. These also play virtually any disc you can throw at it, including multi-channel SACD. At any rate, I hope you can find a DAC that will work.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis