KEF LS50 tops all of them

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
For my room anyways.. So I have been going back and forth threw many different speakers over the course of about a year.
KEF LS50
Dynaudio Excite X44
Revel F208
Monitor Audio Gold 300
Ascend Acoustics seirra RAAL tower
Polk LSIm 703
Canton Reference DC.2 Bookshelf
So I have run all the above. With and without my SVS sub. I really think that the your room is the most important part of speaker sound and not someone's review or professional ratings.
Even though everyone of the above speakers are outstanding, none of them could top them complete balance and enjoyment that I get from the Kef speakers with sub. These were the only ones that I couldn't wait to get back in the room, sit down and have a good long listen. I always walk away happy and feel good with these. All of the others leave me with what I need to think about changing or moving around. So end the end I think I have passed over upgrading to the point of being disappointed. At least in this smaller room, the Kef's can not be beat with a sub.
Source was a Parasound Halo Integrated and Marantz SA8005 CD Player.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Enjoy -- if there is no upgrade post within 6 months, then they in fact may be tops for you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So in the end I think I have passed over upgrading to the point of being disappointed. At least in this smaller room, the Kef's can not be beat with a sub.
Thinking of returning the Dynaudio towers and just stick with KEF bookshelf + sub?

As I've said before, active bass is crucial. With most passive towers, you are at the mercy of the tower's passive bass.

In a bigger room, you'll just need bigger bookshelf speakers + subs. :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
For my room anyways.. So I have been going back and forth threw many different speakers over the course of about a year.
KEF LS50
Dynaudio Excite X44
Revel F208
Monitor Audio Gold 300
Ascend Acoustics seirra RAAL tower
Polk LSIm 703
Canton Reference DC.2 Bookshelf
So I have run all the above. With and without my SVS sub. I really think that the your room is the most important part of speaker sound and not someone's review or professional ratings.
Even though everyone of the above speakers are outstanding, none of them could top them complete balance and enjoyment that I get from the Kef speakers with sub. These were the only ones that I couldn't wait to get back in the room, sit down and have a good long listen. I always walk away happy and feel good with these. All of the others leave me with what I need to think about changing or moving around. So end the end I think I have passed over upgrading to the point of being disappointed. At least in this smaller room, the Kef's can not be beat with a sub.
Source was a Parasound Halo Integrated and Marantz SA8005 CD Player.
Many claim that the wireless LS50's are even better. Not exactly sure about that. However, I am NOT surprised that you like the LS50's so well. Have never been a tower guy myself as I much prefer a stand-mount mated to a capable sub. We all have different needs. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
We should have more threads like this one. Exactly like this one. I'm off to start a few.:D:D:D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thinking of returning the Dynaudio towers and just stick with KEF bookshelf + sub?

As I've said before, active bass is crucial. With most passive towers, you are at the mercy of the tower's passive bass.

In a bigger room, you'll just need bigger bookshelf speakers + subs. :D
Actually it makes me really curious about the R700 line since I love the LS50 so much. I really want to keep the Dynaudio however as it's the only full size I have. The local dealer I got them from does not carry Kef... So I couldn't return them for a trial with the R series.. So I am undecided what I want to do with them right now.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Actually it makes me really curious about the R700 line since I love the LS50 so much. I really want to keep the Dynaudio however as it's the only full size I have. The local dealer I got them from does not carry Kef... So I couldn't return them for a trial with the R series.. So I am undecided what I want to do with them right now.
Hmm let me know your thoughts on the Kef R series if you give them a demo. I keep coming back to Kef in my search because of the concentric design for the center channel but I’m looking for 5.2.4, not 2.0

I think Peng has R900 with no subs in 2.0

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I would love to see a direct comparison between the BMR's, the KEF R300's, KEF Wireless LS50's, and the Polk LSiM 703's. It would be rather interesting to see some measurements as well. A comparison like this would have to be fun fun fun!:)

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Hmm let me know your thoughts on the Kef R series if you give them a demo. I keep coming back to Kef in my search because of the concentric design for the center channel but I’m looking for 5.2.4, not 2.0

I think Peng has R900 with no subs in 2.0
Personally, I would love to see a direct comparison between the BMR's, the KEF R300's, KEF Wireless LS50's, and the Polk LSiM 703's. It would be rather interesting to see some measurements as well. A comparison like this would have to be fun fun fun!:)

Cheers,

Phil
I own both the Polk's and the LS50. Totally different. The Polk's can not touch the Kef's in my opinion. While the Polk's are good they are very smooth and almost boring. If you like really smooth speakers with a decent amount of bass from a book shelf, you will like them. And always by at Polk's have price sales.. I like a brighter sounding speaker I guess. After all the testing I did I always like the bright ones. Hint's why I like the Kef and Canton's better than the rest.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I own both the Polk's and the LS50. Totally different. The Polk's can not touch the Kef's in my opinion. While the Polk's are good they are very smooth and almost boring. If you like really smooth speakers with a decent amount of bass from a book shelf, you will like them. And always by at Polk's have price sales.. I like a brighter sounding speaker I guess. After all the testing I did I always like the bright ones. Hint's why I like the Kef and Canton's better than the rest.
I much prefer a smooth laid-back type of speaker that still offers lots of detail. Being warmer in the mids is also what I look for. Brighter speakers tend to give me listening fatigue rather quickly. Especially, if they are also a bit forward. The KEF R Series is said to be much more laid-back than the Q Series. That is why I am very curious about the KEF R300's. Dyn Audio has also recently piqued my interests. Thanks for the insights!

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I much prefer a smooth laid-back type of speaker that still offers lots of detail. Being warmer in the mids is also what I look for. Brighter speakers tend to give me listening fatigue rather quickly. Especially, if they are also a bit forward. The KEF R Series is said to be much more laid-back than the Q Series. That is why I am very curious about the KEF R300's. Dyn Audio has also recently piqued my interests. Thanks for the insights!

Cheers,

Phil
You would love Dynaudio. They are very detailed yet smooth. Very balanced as well.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Great post. Man, I'm still dreaming of using the LS50 "wireless" for my computer. Would obviously be a huge upgrade from my old Logitech 2.1 computer speaker setup. Haha.

When I had my store, one of my brand reps who also represented KEF brought in a pair of LS50s for me to try out at my retail space. I auditioned them toe to toe against some of my best books, sats, and even towers and the KEFs held their own remarkably well. I absolutely loved how well they sounded near field. A very versatile speaker in my opinion. Thus, why I want a pair in my office so badly now. :)

While they won't be replacing some of my primary setups, I still came away impressed. A well built, well rounded, good sounding speaker (in my opinion). Definitely worth taking a look at if any of you could use that format of a loudspeaker.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Anyone know here if the R Series sounds like the LS50. Specifically wondering if the R700 sounds like a LS50 tower.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Anyone know here if the R Series sounds like the LS50. Specifically wondering if the R700 sounds like a LS50 tower.
Probably not, their FR balance is a bit different. Still, if you are comfortable taking measurements and shaping the response with something like MiniDSP, you might be able to get pretty close.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I like the LS50 too, but only for near-field use. As main speakers on stands they are too weak in the upper bass to make a piano realistic, though adding a sub with low distortion to at least 100Hz can help, but I still prefer full-range towers for piano reproduction.

I wouldn't want to be your audio salesperson. You seem to have the preference of the month. [Little grin, raised eyebrow.]

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You would love Dynaudio. They are very detailed yet smooth. Very balanced as well.
Yeah, both the Dyn Emit M10's/M20's look rather appealing to me. I am aware that the BMR's are an incredible bargain. But, I only have so much money to work with. Right now, the KEF R300's are a little more affordable than the BMR's. They are too said to be very laid-back and buttery smooth on top. Have seen some B-stock R300's for $1100! The Emit M20's/M10's are both under $1K. Even seen the LS50's B-stocks for $900. As such, may have to go with my gut instinct. It is like splitting hairs......LOL!!!!:)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
When I had my store, one of my brand reps who also represented KEF brought in a pair of LS50s for me to try out at my retail space. I auditioned them toe to toe against some of my best books, sats, and even towers and the KEFs held their own remarkably well. I absolutely loved how well they sounded near field. A very versatile speaker in my opinion. Thus, why I want a pair in my office so badly now. :)
Very informative. However, what speakers did you directly compare the LS50's to in your shop? Can you elaborate a bit more on that. It would be most helpful to me. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I like the LS50 too, but only for near-field use. As main speakers on stands they are too weak in the upper bass to make a piano realistic, though adding a sub with low distortion to at least 100Hz can help, but I still prefer full-range towers for piano reproduction.

I wouldn't want to be your audio salesperson. You seem to have the preference of the month. [Little grin, raised eyebrow.]
It's called never being satisfied. I get tired of myself...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Everything I have read for the most part claims that the R Series is more laid-back than the LS50's or even the Q Series. However, I have not validated that myself. But, sure would love to......LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General

If you drive these with out a sub on full range, they pass their limits pretty easy as far as I tested. I have to trim them with a sub. I do listen at higher volumes sometimes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis