Solid silver vs stock Audeze LCD 3 cables

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
i just read a 2015 thread that puts things is perspective for me. basically, if it sounds good to you then who cares what the specs are. then, there's those who have not heard it and argue about it. i agree with mr Johnny2Bad

"...Subjective Listening has a low reputation here on Audioholics, but I find it useful ... let's not let go of the actual purpose of *any* audio component, which is to perform as an audio component, not a medical device or as laboratory test equipment..."

-Johnny2Bad

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
i just read a 2015 thread that puts things is perspective for me. basically, if it sounds good to you then who cares what the specs are. then, there's those who have not heard it and argue about it. i agree with mr Johnny2Bad

"...Subjective Listening has a low reputation here on Audioholics, but I find it useful ... let's not let go of the actual purpose of *any* audio component, which is to perform as an audio component, not a medical device or as laboratory test equipment..."

-Johnny2Bad
I would agree

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd disagree that wire/cable performs as an audio component, it merely connects them. YMMV. If you feel it's worthwhile chasing cable foo by all means go ahead. It's not a good use of time/money by all but anecdotal evidence.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
I'd disagree that wire/cable performs as an audio component, it merely connects them. YMMV. If you feel it's worthwhile chasing cable foo by all means go ahead. It's not a good use of time/money by all but anecdotal evidence.[/QUOTand

you also disagree that it improves the sound?
I'd disagree that wire/cable performs as an audio component, it merely connects them. YMMV. If you feel it's worthwhile chasing cable foo by all means go ahead. It's not a good use of time/money by all but anecdotal evidence.
ok, i can see that.

you also disagree that it effects sound quality?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
A cable can't improve the original sound one is attempting to reproduce. It can only degrade it. How much it degrades it depends on the cable, but I would say that vast majority of cables degrade the sound so little that they are effectively inaudible. It's actually pretty easy and cheap to make a satisfactory cable, and it takes effort to make one that audibly degrades the sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How on earth could it improve it? It could degrade it (or change it), which is unwanted.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A cable must be of sufficient gauge (thickness) to carry the signal without degradation, and it must have robust terminations.

Beyond these requirements, you are wasting resources better allotted to other areas.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
A cable must be of sufficient gauge (thickness) to carry the signal without degradation, and it must have robust terminations.
Beyond these requirements, you are wasting resources better allotted to other areas.
A signal conductor (not a shield) in an interconnect cable can be extremely small. The are made larger for robust mechanical reasons (that would be 26AWG or larger).
However a very long (say 300 feet) dynamic or ribbon mic cable is a different ballgame.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome to AH.

A couple doing their own controlled testing? Really? Suspect.
Not knowing the exact steps taken to conduct, the number of trials, number of correct guesses, randomness of cable switching, true double blind are crucial. I suspect they did a sloppy single blind test at best. You'd need the administrator switching the cables not be visible to the test subject.
So far, there may be differences in vastly different cable gages only, like 24 ga vs 14 or 12 ga.
As you know, it's just a question of resistance. The length of the cable is an important factor as well.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
As you know, it's just a question of resistance. The length of the cable is an important factor as well.
Yes, and silver is still only 6% better and not sure what the internal inductance is vs copper. So, in the end it is an illusion only.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, and silver is still only 6% better and not sure what the internal inductance is vs copper. So, in the end it is an illusion only.
A few of my acquaintances, who had experimented with silver wire, reported that it does not provide as mellow a sound as copper. Why then pay a lot more for something that doesn't improve the performance?

That reminds me of the following anecdote which a close old friend of mine who worked in the hi-fi business told me about: In the 1960's, Peter Walker, the founder of QUAD, was presenting his new electrostatic speakers at a show somewhere in the USA. A technician who was responsible for the connection of his equipment went to see him and asked:
"Mr Walker, what kind of cable do you recommend to connect your speakers with?" He simply replied: " A cable as long as it conducts electricity! " :D

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
and that 6% difference only applies to conductors that have exactly the same cross-section area. Not very likely with real world wires and cables.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
and that 6% difference only applies to conductors that have exactly the same cross-section area. Not very likely with real world wires and cables.
Why do you think that a 14 gauge silver wire wouldn't have the same cross-section area as a 14 AWG copper wire?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You guys here in AH forums must be the most patient bunch there is. You’re always willing to go through a couple of pages about wires even if it’s for the hundredth time.

I simply must react; I find it so funny I simply must react.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, but from what I read, this Pedro Alvarado, for one reason or the other, seems to believe that there is such a thing as second hand experience and that watching a YouTube video clip constitutes such an experience. It’s just too funny.

First of all it looks like a contradictio in adjecto. Either it is an experience or someone merely told you about it. What would be a second hand experience? Can anyone here tell me? Perhaps if I’m telling you about some scary sh... I went through and you felt fear. But even then, it’s not second hand, it is your genuine and original reaction to what I’m telling you.

Furthermore, it appears to me that this guy confuses YouTube video clips with reality. From what he’s saying it would seem that he saw a guy who presented himself as just a “guy comparing cables” and Pedro Alvarado is convinced. He now knows that this must be just a guy comparing cables.

I would give anything to see a James Bond movie with this guy. From what he demonstrated, he probably thinks that there is this guy who is out there, constantly in the thick of it risking his life to preserve the world order and give it a more humane character (oh, and as of lately, this guy does a thing or two to improve the relations between UK and US).

It must be true because Pedro Alvarado saw a newsreel in a theatre. The guy says his name is Bond, James Bond, so it must be true. And Mr. Alvarado noticed that this same guy appears in some other newsreels and then he says his name is something different, but Mr. Alvarado knows that this is just a cover. It is his false identity so that nobody would figure out he is “just a guy saving the world”.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
And have you noticed how his best pal @Wildings had the exact same entrance as our golden ear boy @<eargiant ? Like; he just came to ask what we think and he is just curious... and then it’s 18 pages about how he hears “flat-amp”.

And then, when Pedro goes diggin’ around these forums he finds he very much likes a saying from a guy who tests interconnecting cables!!!

Now, that’s just funny and I don’t care who hears it.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
if i can gain a 6% + return on anything then sign me up because that is not an illusion and if you do not see that then you are dellusional

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis