Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
If I go XLR to RCA from the pre-pro to the amp, I am aware that the signal is unbalanced. But, does it remain the voltage output spec for the xlr output? I would assume that is stepped down as well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I go XLR to RCA from the pre-pro to the amp, I am aware that the signal is unbalanced. But, does it remain the voltage output spec for the xlr output? I would assume that is stepped down as well.
You are absolutely correct, you will end up with half the voltage.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Your pre-pro is XLR only?
Nope. Was just curious if xlr to rca would retain the output voltage. Happened to notice cables were made for such.

Ordered a new pre-pro, and xlr outputs are an option. My current amp only has rca inputs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nope. Was just curious if xlr to rca would retain the output voltage. Happened to notice cables were made for such.

Ordered a new pre-pro, and xlr outputs are an option. My current amp only has rca inputs.
Gotcha, may as well stick to rca. I just made some rca to xlr cables for my LSR305s though no choice as my pre lacks xlr....

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Gotcha, may as well stick to rca. I just made some rca to xlr cables for my LSR305s though no choice as my pre lacks xlr....
Wanting to go xlr for the 2.4v output, vs 1.2v rca. Both are higher than the 1v my current Yamaha RX-Z7 provides. Shame on Yamaha.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Only problem I ever experienced with RCA to XLR is recording from professional XLR output to consumer RCA input. That's going from +4 to -10db and the consumer recorder can not handle it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wanting to go xlr for the 2.4v output, vs 1.2v rca. Both are higher than the 1v my current Yamaha RX-Z7 provides. Shame on Yamaha.
I wouldn't be too worried about nominal pre-out voltage spec. Many avrs are tested well beyond their stated nominal output. For example I have a Denon 3808 rated at 1.2V but a lab test I read about had it measured at 18V max. My Onkyo actually indicates a rated output of .2V and max 4.6V in the specs. In this Audioholics review of your avr it measured: " The RX-Z7 was able to output 1.9Vrms at < 0.1% THD + N with the max limit of 3.3Vrms before turning off."

What is the sensitivity of your amp?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't be too worried about nominal pre-out voltage spec. Many avrs are tested well beyond their stated nominal output. For example I have a Denon 3808 rated at 1.2V but a lab test I read about had it measured at 18V max. My Onkyo actually indicates a rated output of .2V and max 4.6V in the specs. In this Audioholics review of your avr it measured: " The RX-Z7 was able to output 1.9Vrms at < 0.1% THD + N with the max limit of 3.3Vrms before turning off."

What is the sensitivity of your amp?
Nice reply on the RX-Z7. However in it's current state, those specs are null. LOL!

Have not committed to an amp yet. The Adcom 7605 I have has been with me for a long time, and it has always struggled with my 4ohm speakers.

My brain says Bryston 9B-SST, or ATI AT4005. My wallet says Monolith 5x, or Emotiva XPA-5.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice reply on the RX-Z7. However in it's current state, those specs are null. LOL!

Have not committed to an amp yet. The Adcom 7605 I have has been with me for a long time, and it has always struggled with my 4ohm speakers.

My brain says Bryston 9B-SST, or ATI AT4005. My wallet says Monolith 5x, or Emotiva XPA-5.
Well the 7605 is rated 1.1V for full output of 125W at 8 ohm so shouldn't be an issue with the pre or amp. Then again doesn't mean your older avr or amp is still up to spec....especially with what you indicate about shutting down the avr using pre outs. Me, I'd just get a couple Crown XLS amps. Variable sensitivity of .775V/1.4V so it has some flexibility with differing pre amps.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Well the 7605 is rated 1.1V for full output of 125W at 8 ohm so shouldn't be an issue with the pre or amp. Then again doesn't mean your older avr or amp is still up to spec....especially with what you indicate about shutting down the avr using pre outs. Me, I'd just get a couple Crown XLS amps. Variable sensitivity of .775V/1.4V so it has some flexibility with differing pre amps.
The issue with the XLS, or mono-blocks for that matter, is outlets. I got five channels.

More voltage in gets them to their stated specs at a lower gain no matter what. This results in a cleaner sound at any given dB level with a steady hand.

I have been teetering on the edge with mine for years. Always shut down the right front when pushed on up there. Gonna get more balls this time around. I think the spec for my Adcom at 4ohm was around 180w, but gonna need more to prevent this from happening again.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The issue with the XLS, or mono-blocks for that matter, is outlets. I got five channels.

More voltage in gets them to their stated specs at a lower gain no matter what. This results in a cleaner sound at any given dB level with a steady hand.

I have been teetering on the edge with mine for years. Always shut down the right front when pushed on up there. Gonna get more balls this time around. I think the spec for my Adcom at 4ohm was around 180w, but gonna need more to prevent this from happening again.
You don't need as much power for surround channels as for the front channels. IMO, you could use a 2 channel pro amp for the front left and right channels. An AV receiver could handle the other channels. Should you need additional power for the center channel, you could purchase a second 2 channel amp. Another option would be to get a Monolith 5 channel 200 watt/ch amp, but that may not be powerful enough to your liking.

I suggest that you check this link first: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

You want a good power amp. I would suggest the QSC DCA 1622. It's a 2 channel pro amp with a 300 watt/ch power rating at 8 ohms and 500 watt/ch at 4 ohms and it will handle impedances dipping down to 2 ohms without a hitch. It's one of the QSC's digital cinema amps used in Cineplex theaters across North America. It's retailed at over US$1100, but an online store in California, Socalcinetech sells it , I believe, at 20% discount. In addition, you can verify on QSC's website to find a local distributor. These amps are not carried by pro audio shops and are sold uniquely by cinema equipment suppliers.

I am using four of the DCA Series amps in my HT and these amps have amazing specs. They are reliable and you cannot blow them up. They are as acoustically transparent as any audiophile amp on the market. IMO, anything costing more than this is a waste of money. Put the saved money on better speakers if necessary, you would get more noticeable improved performance:

https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/power-amplifiers/dca-series/dca-1622/

My HT: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have a POA 2800, and two POA 2200 already.

Not looking to stack ANY amps. Separate amps need more outlets. I already have stacks of gear.

My speakers are fine, except for the one I blew during my stuper. I had a replacement.

The pre-pro is purchased. An AVR is not an option.

XLR outputs are available on the unit purchased, so I AM interested in using them.

Monolith was mentioned in post #12.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Not looking to stack ANY amps. Separate amps need more outlets. I already have stacks of gear.

My speakers are fine, except for the one I blew during my stuper. I had a replacement.

XLR outputs are available on the unit purchased, so I AM interested in using them.

Did you calculate your power needs with the link which I referred you to?

If you want to use the balanced XLR outputs from your new pre-pro without having to switch to an unbalanced amp input, the new Monolith would answer your needs if it's powerful enough. Otherwise, one or two QSCs would do the job as they also have XLR inputs.

I know that additional pieces of equipment require more power outlets, but good power bars are not that expensive.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

You say your Adcom had a power output of 180 watts at 4 ohms and you want more powerful amps. Well, the Monolith has a power rating of only 300 watts for a 4 ohm load, which is only 2dB more power than that of your Adcom. Such difference in power is marginal and you would only find an improvement if your Adcom was indeed unstable with the 4 ohm load.
If you want a real increase in power, 500 watts would then be a more appropriate target.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Do some pre-pros have op-amps at the output? If so, is there possibility of damage to the op-amp unless pin 3 is not connected to the common ground?

I've just perused this article: https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/balanced-unbalanced_revised.pdf
I haven't heard that it would damage the op-amp, but your signal level won't be what it should. Pins 1 and 3 are combined when converting to unbalanced, but you can also use an impedance matching device, which would really be preferable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Yeah, the Monolith brand 7x200 XLR amp made by ATI for $1600 is a solid option unless you’re willing to spend a lot more for an ATI brand.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis