Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You say your Adcom had a power output of 180 watts at 4 ohms and you want more powerful amps. Well, the Monolith has a power rating of only 300 watts for a 4 ohm load, which is only 2dB more power than that of your Adcom. Such difference in power is marginal and you would only find an improvement if your Adcom was indeed unstable with the 4 ohm load.
If you want a real increase in power, 500 watts would then be a more appropriate target.
It was unstable at the level in which the right front channel would circuit would break. As mentioned, the Monolith is on my list.

Thanks

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the 8801 pre-pro got here. It's Made in Japan, and absolutely gorgeous.

Hooked everything-up, and sure enough, the right front channel of the Adcom is toast. Humming through right front speaker.

Took some time to do some thinking, and decided to take the Adcom to my man cave. Got a bi-amped 2-channel rig in there. Hooked the 4-r/l channels of the Adcom up in place of my 2 Denon POA amps. Humming in right front. Unhooked the right front channel, and moved to center channel position. Works great. So right front channel of Adcom is toast.

A side note is that the 4 channels of the Adcom compare in NO WAY to the output I get from the POA amps which are rated @200w. This has me determined that I need at least 5x200.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the 8801 pre-pro got here. It's Made in Japan, and absolutely gorgeous.

Hooked everything-up, and sure enough, the right front channel of the Adcom is toast. Humming through right front speaker.

Took some time to do some thinking, and decided to take the Adcom to my man cave. Got a bi-amped 2-channel rig in there. Hooked the 4-r/l channels of the Adcom up in place of my 2 Denon POA amps. Humming in right front. Unhooked the right front channel, and moved to center channel position. Works great. So right front channel of Adcom is toast.

A side note is that the 4 channels of the Adcom compare in NO WAY to the output I get from the POA amps which are rated @200w. This has me determined that I need at least 5x200.
Considering the situation, it's an excellent decision to go for the Monolith multi-channel power amp. It's a product made by ATI, it has excellent specs and represents a very good watt/$ value.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Considering the situation, it's an excellent decision to go for the Monolith multi-channel power amp. It's a product made by ATI, it has excellent specs and represents a very good watt/$ value.
Looks that way. Still digging though. I call it the flavor of the day. It hasn't really worked-out the best in the past.

N

Npride

Enthusiast
Looks that way. Still digging though. I call it the flavor of the day. It hasn't really worked-out the best in the past.
I have the monolith 7x200 amp and so far it’s good. I have it connected with RCA cables but I am wondering if the XLR impute will enhance the sound.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the monolith 7x200 amp and so far it’s good. I have it connected with RCA cables but I am wondering if the XLR impute will enhance the sound.
It won't, unless your interconnects are long too long for RCA, but why not try it.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Mogami 2534 xlr x5 on the way.
REALLY CHEAP amp ordered just to get us by for now.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Tease! What's the really cheap amp?
In the case it may be a rip-off, I do not want to post it yet. I would hate to cause anyone else an impulse buy without first checking-it out. The purchase was against everything I know, and trust.

The amp has shipped UPS, is 66lbs, and class H.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Got xlr-xlr from Amazon. World's Best Cables. Mogami 2534, and Amphenol AC3 connectors.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Anybody know why BJC recommends NOT to use Quad cable for digital signal?

Seeing as how the DACs are in the processor, and the signal is already in the analog realm upon output, can't see why they publish that in the description of their xlr cables.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The locking XLR onnection will be more secure.

It may not enhance the sound.

But it may enhance the feeling. :D

If adding a 150WPC Emotiva amp can improve the SQ of a 110WPC AVR for some people, then XLR connectors can also improve the SQ. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The aesthetics look better than Emotiva and Outlaw.

But I would prefer the name "Carver" on the front of the amp. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It says Black, like last link.

With coupon code, I paid $385 delivered!
It's definitely a great looking "120WPC" amp.

Did you get a chance to ask them if they are the same exact amp, just different brand labels?

Also, the specs are vague.

1. It says "120WPC into 8 ohms". But it never says "120WPC x 5Ch Driven.

2. The frequency response is 20Hz-20kHz, but is the power output of 120WPC from 20Hz-20kHz or just 1kHz?

Anyway, good luck with your new amp.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's definitely a great looking "120WPC" amp.

Did you get a chance to ask them if they are the same exact amp, just different brand labels?

Also, the specs are vague.

1. It says "120WPC into 8 ohms". But it never says "120WPC x 5Ch Driven.

2. The frequency response is 20Hz-20kHz, but is the power output of 120WPC from 20Hz-20kHz or just 1kHz?
They're not the same amps. The Carver is rated at 150W per channel for an 8 ohm load.

Carver specifies the THD but OSD indicates a THD figure on their front page and the figure is not published with the specs quoted on the amplifier page. Weird!

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Same manufacturer, same weight, VERY similar specs. 30wpc is certainly not worth $600 more. I gave this situation a lot of thought.

Check this link: http://www.audiogeargroup.com

Everything is clickable, but Carver.
As already stated in my previous post, they are not similar. IMO, only the aesthetics are. In addition, this OSD amp operates only at AC input of 120 volts. The Carver uses an universal power supply that can handle an AC 120v as well as a 240v power outlet:

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The aesthetics look better than Emotiva and Outlaw.

But I would prefer the name "Carver" on the front of the amp. :D
But it's not the same Carver company that Bob Carver ran, is it? He sold it long ago afaik. The brand owners may put out a good product, haven't heard anything about them for a while nor can I find them with a brief search nor is there any information on the back of that unit about who made it or where (which may be a good thing, that might indicate US made since it isn't marked with country of origin for import regs).

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
It's just a name. The point I was trying to make. Sent you a PM.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As already stated in my previous post, they are not similar. IMO, only the aesthetics are. In addition, this OSD amp operates only at AC input of 120 volts. The Carver uses an universal power supply that can handle an AC 120v as well as a 240v power outlet:
Why would it matter if it can handle 240v? For US sales that's useless.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis