SB13 Ultra Piano Black Finish $1000

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
That looks like a pretty good deal on what was their then top-of-the-line sealed subwoofer. Yes, that model has been discontinued and was replaced with the SB-16 Ultra. I would believe the item in question is probably a customer return, but it is great that there is no damage (rare) and is under full warranty (awesome).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That looks like a pretty good deal on what was their then top-of-the-line sealed subwoofer. Yes, that model has been discontinued and was replaced with the SB-16 Ultra. I would believe the item in question is probably a customer return, but it is great that there is no damage (rare) and is under full warranty (awesome).
The SB13-Ultra was replaced by the SB-4000. The SB16-Ultra is from another line entirely.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Those SVS Ultra Tower speakers look nice in the outlet section. Do they really extend to 28hz? Or is that just marketing?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Any idea how the SB13 Ultra compares to the Hsu XLS-15 MK2?
The SVS is arguably better looking, but can the less expensive, but well designed 15" XLS-15 match (or beat) the performance of the top quality SB13 Ultra sub (which is normally twice the cost)?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
The SVS is arguably better looking, but can the less expensive, but well designed 15" XLS-15 match (or beat) the performance of the top quality SB13 Ultra sub (which is normally twice the cost)?
Do you mean the ULS-15 MK2? I have one and cannot imagine needing any more in my current listening room. It is flat down to 20 Hz (the SVS is down by 3 dB) but it has a less powerful amplifier and lacks the digital bells and whistles of the SVS (though it still has great adjustability - I have been able to integrate it satisfactorily into my two channel system without any room correction software). Though I have not had the pleasure of listening to SVS, I would imagine that the performance of the two to be pretty close, with the gains of the larger cone on the HSU being matched by the greater power of the SVS. As far as finishes go, I would place the HSU's satin finish between the SVS's piano black and black oak for aesthetics.

Is the piano black SVS worth twice as much at MSRP as the satin black SVS? Dunno, but if I had the room and the scratch, I would certainly go for two of the Hsu's over one SVS. Then again, $1K, with all of the digital goodies and warranty is pretty sweet.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Offers like these make my mouth water. It never happens in the EU.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SB13-Ultra
ULS-15 mk2

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis