Full Range Bookshelf

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
My Kef LS50 won't handle full range settings. Most small bookshelves won't. Will the R range from Kef handle full range settings? I am guessing something with a large woofer should. I already now about the Phil BMR. Just wasn't sure if I missing something that will in my search. Let me know if you know.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I'm looking for towers but just thought if a full range bookshelf was there I could save a lot of money and upgrade my sub. So if I had a budget, I'd say 3000 under. I definitely have to run my LS50 on small or I should say at 80hz cut off. If not, at the volume I play, you can hear some break up. I kept going back and forth to my RAAL Ascend towers and I can say that I prefer the Kef's better. It kind of sucks cause I love the Ascend company.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
My Kef LS50 won't handle full range settings. Most small bookshelves won't. Will the R range from Kef handle full range settings?
Depends on how one defines "handle" I suppose. I run a set of R300s full range in an auxiliary system, and they perform reasonably well for my purposes. They extend effectively down into the low 30's in my space, and they can handle a fair amount of volume without shitting the bed. Still, the usual caution applies given that it doesn't take a lot of power to bottom out a woofer below the tuning point of a vented system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm looking for towers but just thought if a full range bookshelf was there I could save a lot of money and upgrade my sub.
You mean big dynamic higher sensitivity "bookshelfs" that are like 30"H x 20"D x 13"W and weigh like 70-90 LBS each? :D

Just wait for Black Friday and see if RBH has any big sale on the older SX-T1 "70 LBS bookshelf". They are still available now, but just not on sale like last Black Friday, which was crazy sale for around $500-$600 each. :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
You mean big dynamic higher sensitivity "bookshelfs" that are like 30"H x 20"D x 13"W and weigh like 70-90 LBS each? :D

Just wait for Black Friday and see if RBH has any big sale on the older SX-T1 "70 LBS bookshelf". They are still available now, but just not on sale like last Black Friday, which was crazy sale for around $500-$600 each. :D
500-600 EACH. Really. That's insane. Does that include the drivers??:)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My Kef LS50 won't handle full range settings. Most small bookshelves won't. Will the R range from Kef handle full range settings? I am guessing something with a large woofer should. I already now about the Phil BMR. Just wasn't sure if I missing something that will in my search. Let me know if you know.
KEF LS50 is a nice bookshelf. Maybe try out subs from Rythmik first before you give up on the LS50.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
500-600 EACH. Really. That's insane. Does that include the drivers??:)
Of course. Includes everything. But these are B-stock, so the cabinets may have some slight scratches. :D

They were selling like hotcakes at that price!

In fact, RBH ran out of parts for the SX-T1 because of this giant sale!

I'll see if they have new pricing for these b-stock SX-T1. I doubt it will still be the same $500-$600 sale, but hopefully close. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Given DefTek history with being creative on publishing their speakers specs,I'd take that 30hz with a grain (or few tons) of salt.
Gotta love the fact that it says 30hz-30hz. Speaker made for one specific frequency...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Never really met a "full range" bookshelf.
Given DefTek history with being creative on publishing their speakers specs,I'd take that 30hz with a grain (or few tons) of salt.
I've heard those. They do not feel like they go that low.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Atlantic Tech H-PAS or it's cousin Monoprice K-BAS are probably closest you'd get to "full range" bookshelf.
There are other bookshelf speakers that can dig as deep but they are all a lot more expensive. I don't think there is any bookshelf speaker that is as inexpensive as the K-BAS that can dig as deep.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The AAs are larger and also dig pretty deep. I was surprised with them.

My GR A/V-2s are MTMs in a fairly large cabinet and have enough bass to use on their own, but wouldn't call them full range either.

Last edited:
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Yup there's no getting around it, the LS50s need to be crossed or you're going to hear what you've been hearing. I'd suggest the Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2 with a REL sub using the high level connection.

I just swapped the LS50 with CM6 S2 (precursor of the 705 S2) and the difference in dynamic capability is night and day. The CM6 S2 can take a full range signal (within reason) without breaking a sweat. Zero distortion too, the bass you do get is clean & tight. Perfect to blend with a sub.

There are plenty of standmounts that can handle a full range signal without their midbass driver audibly hitting it's limit. The question is -what is the quality of the bass you do hear?

If you're going the new stand-mount route I'd go with the 705 S2. You will thank me later.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m having a hard time with the idea that the KEF LS50 sounds better than the Ascend towers, but that is really good information. You own both. It makes me want to add a 2nd sub and buy nice bookshelf speakers instead of buying towers.... or am I just trying to justify more subs?.... My name is Snakeeyes and I’m an Audioholic...:)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If you really do want a bookshelf that will meet your needs, only one company can make a speaker that fits your description and the is the Audio Transducer company. ATC.

First you need a sealed alignment so that the woofer will not decouple from the box below tuning. A good sealed speaker will have a higher F3 than a vented one but it roll off 12 db and not 24 db per octave. So they have more low bass. If I make a small powerful speaker and I have, I always choose a sealed alignment.

Billy Woodman of ATC who is a transducer engineer by training makes his drivers in house to exacting specs and tolerances. His transducers have much lower distortion than the competition. His drivers have very linear travel. Above all he has mastered the art of cooling so his drivers don't burn out easily. He very very seldom gets a burnt out driver back for rebuild.

What you are seeking is the ATC SCM 11 which is just in your budget range. I can assure you the drivers in this speaker are totally above and beyond anything else. This is absolutely the only speakers in the world that will meet your criteria within your budget.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The BMR seems to be able to play the lowest, at the best price. Salks HT1 http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Veracity+HT1 is another option.

The ATC the TLS linked is probably as good as any option. Havent heard that speaker but the 2 others I've heard from them sounded fantastic.
Those alternatives are ported. At high power used without a crossover the drivers will decouple. If you are going to make a small speaker and use it at power without a crossover then it has to be a sealed alignment.

Secondly you can not look at F3 alone when comparing a sealed and ported alignment. The ATC and BMR will have comparable output at 20 Hz.

That small midrange in the BMR is an interesting driver, but it is not a high powered driver. It certainly is not designed for high spl. The OP is already running his KEFs beyond limits.

Lastly no one makes drivers that take the power like Billy Woodman. If those drivers were available to the DIY market, I would use them in a heart beat.

One last note the Stereophile review of the SCM 11 is excellent, but since that review the SCM 11 has a redesigned tweeter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis