Will my BMRs sound better... What kind

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I’m using a RX A1050 to run a 5.1 setup. Will it make my front (BMR) speakers sound better if I add a 2 channel amp? I only listen to music and medium volume. Budget $500.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I’m using a RX A1050 to run a 5.1 setup. Will it make my front (BMR) speakers sound better if I add a 2 channel amp? I only listen to music and medium volume. Budget $500.
At medium volume levels I would think that the 1050 would be able to power the BMR's just fine. Of course, that really all depends on what YOUR "medium" level is and how loud you really want to be. Not to mention, how far is the MLP from the front-stage?

Adding an outboard amp can improve things, but I honestly think your are fine w/the 1050. It is known to have a beefy amp section. How do you listen to your music? All 5-CH's?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sometimes I use 4.1. Any recommendations?
If you are using mainly 4.1, then I would look at the Outlaw Model 5000 amp. It is, of course, a 5 CH amp, but not much out there that is going to best it for the price. It is going for $599 as we speak. Here is a link:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html

The B-stock Model 5000's are sold out at the moment. The Model 5000 is conservatively rated at 120 X 5 RMS@ 8 ohms and weighs in at a hefty 50 lbs. So, it is a monster to say the least. Highly recommend if you plan to add an outboard amp! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
From the specs of your receiver: (nice specs btw)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 135 / 165 / 210 / 280 W
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 110 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)

I think you already have more power than your need. I have 75 watts per channel and it's plenty. I'm listening to my BMRs loudly at -20db. I don't think you really need to upgrade, but say you got a really nice power amp all it would do is give you more headroom and maybe cut down a tad on the THD. - Would you hear a difference? IDK.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The only concern I would have is when you are driving 4 or 5 speakers with the 1050, there is some possibility of the combined load of those 4 or 5 speakers stressing the power supply.
This would depend on:
1) what mode you are using to determine the signal of the additional (from stereo) channels - for example, if you are running multi-channel stereo, there is a good chance that all channels would see demand peaks at the same time; where as most movies will not (an explosion to the front-left will arrive at each of the speakers with different timing). So worst case is your maximum peaks are occurring on all speakers at exactly the same time.
2) what is the impedance and sensitivity of the other speakers. If you are running Gene's Status Acoustics 8T's as your surrounds (which are power hungry and drop below 3 ohms), you are overloading your amp before even adding in the mains!

I suspect you are fine as you are, but we can't rule out the possibility that your system might tax the AVR without knowing this.
One test you could perform is to listen as loud as you ever would to the 4/5 speakers, then switch to stereo and listen to see if it sound cleaner of not. I feel very comfortable that your AVR would handle 2 BMR's by themselves without issue, so that can be a reference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can't speak for the Yamaha, but I used to own a 50WPC 5.1 HK AVR that had no problem driving 5 speakers (min impedance 2.7 - 3 ohms) - Def Tech BP7000SC, BP7001SC, CLR3000.

T

Touchez au grisbi

Enthusiast
I have 75 watts per channel and it's plenty. I'm listening to my BMRs loudly at -20db. I don't think you really need to upgrade, but say you got a really nice power amp all it would do is give you more headroom and maybe cut down a tad on the THD. - Would you hear a difference? IDK.
CB22, I've dug through a number of your posts but I missed what you use in your music room with the BMRs, just curious. Unless your 'music room' is your 'movie room' with the BMRs turned on and other stuff turned off? Is it the Anthem in your flair?

I have got that itch too. I use a refurbed Integra 50.4 and I guess it sounds fine to me, and that what I really need is to start dropping some room correction science, and maybe experiment with a sub. But I keep thinking about an integrated amp or even separates. It's a disease. I do love these speakers (BMR), though.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I used to own a 50WPC 5.1 HK AVR that had no problem driving 5 speakers
HK watts ...

:D *wondering if PENG is triggered* :D

Sometimes I use 4.1. Any recommendations?
I really like those Marantz monoblocks MA500 and MA700 from the used market. Per pair they're ~ $200 and $400 and they outclass most mid level rec'rs. 4 Ohm stable ... small form factor ...

I'd sell you mine if I hadn't read all these posts by ADTG talking about external amps.

Maybe in a few weeks, after I return to my senses. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd sell you mine if I hadn't read all these posts by ADTG talking about external amps.

Maybe in a few weeks, after I return to my senses. ;)
The external amps and "separates" are for bragging rights. :eek: :D

I can tell "regular" people that my system is better than their systems because I have external amps and they only have AVRs. :eek:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The short answer...not much if any SQ improvement.

When you have a great pair of speakers like you do...if you mean better as in more bass...add a sub. Aside from that...your source player and the source material will have the most impact on SQ improvement.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for all the help. I think I’m ok the way it is.
I think you are fine the way it is. The BMRs are nice speakers that measure well, but they are no high powered speakers.

Those 3.5" mid range Tectonic balanced mode radiators are only 20 watt RMS, 40 watt max! Sensitivity is only 81 db 2.83 volts 1 meter. Relying on band pass gain the speaker manage a sensitivity of 84.5 db 2.84 volts 1 meter.

So those speakers have to be enjoyed for what they are and the value they represent. They are not high powered speakers for high db music or HT. There is a lot of power in the midrange power band. You have more than enough power to blow these speakers up already. Amps in the 40 to 100 watt power range should be more than adequate.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
CB22, I've dug through a number of your posts but I missed what you use in your music room with the BMRs, just curious. Unless your 'music room' is your 'movie room' with the BMRs turned on and other stuff turned off? Is it the Anthem in your flair?

I have got that itch too. I use a refurbed Integra 50.4 and I guess it sounds fine to me, and that what I really need is to start dropping some room correction science, and maybe experiment with a sub. But I keep thinking about an integrated amp or even separates. It's a disease. I do love these speakers (BMR), though.
In my old place I used the have my BMRs in the room adjacent to the HT room and just ran cables though the wall using the Zone 2 output. Now in my new place, the my BMRs are in the HT room. :mad:.
Is it the Anthem in your flair?
How do you mean?

I've already made up my mind some months ago, that for my 30th birthday I will reward myself a pair of Phil 3's and a nice integrated amp. 3 more years to go. The one thing I'm looking to get soon is some acoustic panels. But I don't want to pay for something that I'm confident I could do a DIY project of. Awwwwwwww the UPGRADES. This is not a cheap hobby

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In my old place I used the have my BMRs in the room adjacent to the HT room and just ran cables though the wall using the Zone 2 output. Now in my new place, the my BMRs are in the HT room. :mad:.

How do you mean?

I've already made up my mind some months ago, that for my 30th birthday I will reward myself a pair of Phil 3's and a nice integrated amp. 3 more years to go. The one thing I'm looking to get soon is some acoustic panels. But I don't want to pay for something that I'm confident I could do a DIY project of. Awwwwwwww the UPGRADES. This is not a cheap hobby
If you use a zone 2 output, don’t you lose bass management though?

T

Touchez au grisbi

Enthusiast
How do you mean?
I meant your gear signature; actually I am not sure if "flair" is common message-board parlance. I read it once and it stuck.
Upon rereading my post above, my initial question to you might accidentally have come off as a bit flip, btw...not intended!
I lust for the Phil3's as well, though I think my space isn't right for them just now.

Have you used your Hsu ULS-15 MK2 with the BMRs? Do you like the combination, and is there anything to know about integrating those speakers? I am thinking about getting that Hsu.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis