J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
I have narrowed my Amps down to 2. The Emovtiva XPA-7 and the Outlaw 7700. Im running a Denon AVRX6200W 7.2.2 setup. There is no way of me hearing what each amp will sound like so any ideas? On YouTube you guys did one on the Outlaw 5 channel years ago. Im sure things have changed since then? Ive been looking at sound distortion and Intermodulation Distortion lol whatever that is. Im sure both amps are great sounding. What are the benefits from one to another. This is all new to me.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
First question is what speakers and why do you need an amp?

Answer to both amps is yes. Either one will be fine in most cases.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Personally I would go for the Outlaw. The measurements are just too good. The alternative for me would not be Emotiva but the Monoprice Monolith amps, but Emotiva would be fine too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Justin Bass fwiw IIRC the Outlaw 7700 is an ATI-made amp, as are the Monoprice Monolith amps. ATI also sells their own line (and makes amps for a few other brands).

J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
First question is what speakers and why do you need an amp?

Answer to both amps is yes. Either one will be fine in most cases.
Im running all Klipsch speakers. My system sounds great, I just want to go with a 7.2.4 and use the big amp for the 7 speakers and use the Denon for the 4 above. Im just seeing alot of videos with amps in there systems. The Denon says"140 Watts per channel for 2 channel. So Im thinking 80 watts per channel; all channels driven? Also IF I remember the watts on the speakers are 125-150.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wattage on the speaker is irrelevant. It does not tell you anything about what is needed for what you're listening levels are. It is a common question, but those ratings are max not required. The amount of power depends on your room and listening tastes. Unless you are having issues where you can't get it loud enough, then you may not really need an amp, especially with Klipsch speakers.

Start reading here:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/when-to-add-external-amplification-to-an-a-v-receiver.90310/#post-1028297

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speakers don't "have" watts. They may have limits expressed in watts, but doesn't mean they'll sound good with that much pumped into them either. ACD (all channels driven) ratings aren't all that meaningful either, usually not what's happening. I'd suggest you try the spl calculator Peng linked (and I'd discount the Klipsch sensitivity at least 3dB as they tend to overstate it).

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Im running all Klipsch speakers. My system sounds great, I just want to go with a 7.2.4 and use the big amp for the 7 speakers and use the Denon for the 4 above. Im just seeing alot of videos with amps in there systems. The Denon says"140 Watts per channel for 2 channel. So Im thinking 80 watts per channel; all channels driven? Also IF I remember the watts on the speakers are 125-150.
I have products from both companies...with your Klipsch (typically very efficient speakers) you can't go wrong imo...that said, I love my Outlaw mono blocks.

J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
Personally I would go for the Outlaw. The measurements are just too good. The alternative for me would not be Emotiva but the Monoprice Monolith amps, but Emotiva would be fine too.
Monolith is always sold out. Ive been looking at that also.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love my Outlaw mono blocks.
$1879 delivered for 7 x 200W Outlaw mono-block amps seems nice.

Even the Crown XLS 1502 amps (x 4 amps to get 7Ch) would cost $1520, which is only $359 less.

The Outlaw amps are much prettier. :D

My vote is for either Outlaw or Monolith.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There is no way of me hearing what each amp will sound like so any ideas?
Yeah, any of these amps, including the Crown, QSC, or Yamaha pro amps will sound very similarly great.

Many people would say they sound identical when volume level-matched based on actual double-blind tests.

But we'll be more PC and say they all sound similarly great, but not identical. ;) :D

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Our price for the XPA7 Gen3 is $1699.99 including shipping.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
$1879 delivered for 7 x 200W Outlaw mono-block amps seems nice.

Even the Crown XLS 1502 amps (x 4 amps to get 7Ch) would cost $1520, which is only $359 less.

The Outlaw amps are much prettier. :D

My vote is for either Outlaw or Monolith.
That's real nice!!

And tempting to add two more to my 5.2.4 setup....but, I'm all in on building the collection now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Monolith is always sold out. Ive been looking at that also.
No kidding. The demand is outpacing the supplies here big time!

I wonder if those workers at the ATI factory in California is getting some overtime! :eek:

A 200x7 ATI-built amp for $1600 or a 200x5 ATI-built amp for $1300 is just too cool. :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Based on available bench tests on mid range Denon, I think yours will do about 105 watts x 7, or 115 watts x 5 into 8 ohms. I doubt it could do 80 watts with all 11 channel driven simultaneously.

S&V tested the AVR-X7200W that has a slightly larger power supply. It could do 114 watts with 7 channels driven.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x7200w-av-receiver-test-bench

I still think you only need a 3 channel Monolith, or 5 channel if you want to play safe, or overkill it with the 7 channel version.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I still think you only need a 3 channel Monolith, or 5 channel if you want to play safe, or overkill it with the 7 channel version.
Well, there's only a $300 difference between the 200x7 vs 200x5. And there's only a $300 difference between the 200x5 vs 200x3. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis