Best Efficient speakers

R

rednomad

Audiophyte
Just bought my first tube power amp,tube TT preamp,and ordered my tube preamp. I have now reached my dilemma of the speaker choice. Budget is $5-7K floorstanders. listening room is 12x15 and limited as to to how far I can place from the walls. Have Polk audio LSi15's and have served me well with my SS system but would like to upgrade to good efficient speakers for my tube system. Power from tube am is 36w per channel. Haven't auditioned any speakers but am leery anyway because listening rooms they use are well tailored for listening and hard to to determine if they will sound the same when I get them home.Prefer personal suggestions from home audiophile opinions. Will buy used if I have to.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
First thing that comes to mind is Klipsch RF-7 IIs. I have liked the Sonist Audio speakers as well, they are high sensitivity and come in your price range. I would look at the speakers from Audiokinesis and JTR as well. Also look into Pi speakers.

R

rednomad

Audiophyte
First thing that comes to mind is Klipsch RF-7 IIs. I have liked the Sonist Audio speakers as well, they are high sensitivity and come in your price range. I would look at the speakers from Audiokinesis and JTR as well. Also look into Pi speakers.
Thanks-beginning my searches now-much appreciated

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or if you're willing to do a little DIY, there are some excellent offerings at diysoundgroup.com....

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
THESE are probably overkill for that size room, but they're sensitive and dig deep. You do like overkill, don't you, rednomad?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had been eyeing the JBL 4429.

Ended up building something in the same style, albeit a bit more sensitive. Currently enjoying them with about 1/4th the potential of 8w amps.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with ShadyJ with regard to the Klipsch RF-7 II, which have a sensitivity of 101dB.

I suggest that you listen to them first, and if you can manage to have them for a trial in your listening room, with the possibility to return them should you not like them, that would be the ideal situation. In fact, that represents the ideal solution for any speakers you are interested in.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I agree with ShadyJ with regard to the Klipsch RF-7 II, which have a sensitivity of 101dB.

I suggest that you listen to them first, and if you can manage to have them for a trial in your listening room, with the possibility to return them should you not like them, that would be the ideal situation. In fact, that represents the ideal solution for any speakers you are interested in.
I doubt they really have a 101 dB sensitivity. That is Klipsch inflation. I would guess in the mid 90s. Either way it will have more power than almost anyone would ever need.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt they really have a 101 dB sensitivity. That is Klipsch inflation. I would guess in the mid 90s. Either way it will have more power than almost anyone would ever need.
Since when have loudspeaker manufacturers been publishing inflated sensivity ratings on their transducers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis