New Outlaw BLSv2's ONLY $599.99!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I see that the AL tweeter is X-overed @1.8K (see link*) with a 2nd order albeit 12 dB/Octave slope. That is very low for a tweeter. But, what about the mid? At what order/slope is the mid X-overed? It looks to have a 3rd order arrangement albeit 18 dB/Octave slope to me. Am I wrong here? Will look to see if I can find some further reading on the Continuum project.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I see (see link) that the AL tweeter is X-overed @1.8K with a 2nd order albeit 12 dB/Octave slope. That is very low for a tweeter. But, what about the mid? A what order/slope is the mid X-overed? It looks to have a 3rd order arrangement albeit 18 dB/Octave slope to me. Am I wrong here? Will look to see if I can find some further reading on the Continuum project.

Cheers,

Phil
Here, Jeff describes the speaker and how he came about it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Here, Jeff describes the speaker and how he came about it.
Thanks for the link once again. Jeff mentions 4th order in this short clip. Is he referring to the mid? The AL tweeter is supposedly a 12 dB/Octave @1.8K. Just a bit confused here. Mr. Bagby sure knows what he is doing. The sealed 500 Watt sub he designed w/the TC Sounds 12" driver sounds very interesting as well. Plan to look into that asap. Sure would be cool to meet him.

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the link once again. Jeff mentions 4th order in this short clip. Is he referring to the mid? The AL tweeter is supposedly a 12 dB/Octave @1.8K. Just a bit confused here. Mr. Bagby sure knows what he is doing. The sealed 500 Watt sub he designed w/the TC Sounds 12" driver sounds very interesting as well. Plan to look into that asap. Sure would be cool to meet him.

Cheers,

Phil
Dunno. I used to when I was first interested in the design but have studied many designs since and all of that becomes a blur. All I know is, that when the hurricane Irma threatened Florida and I took me and my family to the Georgia hills until the madness was over, I took the Continuum parts with me too, so that if my house and everything in it was leveled, I would have a great set of monitors to restart my audio obsession with, post apocalypse. :)

I think TC sounds is now gone and some other company has absorbed their designs/tooling into a proprietary function instead.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno. I used to when I was first interested in the design but have studied many designs since and all of that becomes a blur. All I know is, that when the hurricane Irma threatened Florida and I took me and my family to the Georgia hills until the madness was over, I took the Continuum parts with me too, so that if my house and everything in it was leveled, I would have a great set of monitors to restart my audio obsession with, post apocalypse. :)

I think TC sounds is now gone and some other company has absorbed their designs/tooling into a proprietary function instead.
Sadly, Irma was devastating for many. Glad that you and yours are still here. Also have read that Jeff Bagby has had some serious health issues himself. Will keep all of you in my prayers. No worries on TC Sounds. Not looking to use a sub anyways for the foreseeable future. Appreciate the links. Been surfing some of the DIY forums. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
A few years ago a TC Sounds Rep came into the shop and left me their MAP Pricing sheet, as well as, some product literature. The first thing that I noticed was just how darn expensive their subs were. Dealer costs were ridiculous to say the least. Later showed it to both of my bosses and they immediately loaded the sheet into the shredder......LOL!!!! Personally, I think that TC Sounds priced themselves completely out of the market. I must admit though, their subs specs looked rather impressive. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
A few years ago a TC Sounds Rep came into the shop and left me their MAP Pricing sheet, as well as, some product literature. The first thing that I noticed was just how darn expensive their subs were. Dealer costs were ridiculous to say the least. Later showed it to both of my bosses and they immediately loaded the sheet into the shredder......LOL!!!! Personally, I think that TC Sounds priced themselves completely out of the market. I must admit though, their subs specs looked rather impressive. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Probably overbuilt themselves out of the market, more like. Any time I hear about a small company out to build a high end part of any kind, the first hurdle beyond the prototype is, how cheaply can we get it built in China for? Second, who in China can we get to package it? After that, the claws from the distributor monopoly come out, and the ones who did all the work are left with pennies on the dollar.

I build custom welded parts. It is a shame how many tricks I have to add into the process in which to compete with foreign labor trends, and still maintain domestic quality without pricing ourselves out of the market. A bigger shame is all of the parasites that end up with their grubby little mitts on it. This is probably 99% of the reason that if I did not DIY most of my stuff, I would otherwise buy internet direct as much as possible.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Probably overbuilt themselves out of the market, more like. Any time I hear about a small company out to build a high end part of any kind, the first hurdle beyond the prototype is, how cheaply can we get it built in China for? Second, who in China can we get to package it? After that, the claws from the distributor monopoly come out, and the ones who did all the work are left with pennies on the dollar.

I build custom welded parts. It is a shame how many tricks I have to add into the process in which to compete with foreign labor trends, and still maintain domestic quality without pricing ourselves out of the market. A bigger shame is all of the parasites that end up with their grubby little mitts on it. This is probably 99% of the reason that if I did not DIY most of my stuff, I would otherwise buy internet direct as much as possible.
It is a shame that you have to merely do some extra custom work for free. We ran into the same problem at the shop. Nobody wants to pay for custom work, but everybody wants it. One of the reasons that I got out of the business. Have NOT looked back since.

Have a close friend that owns his own contracting business. He works his tail off and is doing quite well. But, he is always telling me how surprised he is that customers always want so much extra custom work to be "included" in his lowest bid per se. So much so, he automatically works some custom work into his bids. However, that is tough when other contractors are bidding as well.

It cuts like a sword. You can easily give your product(s) away and not make enough to stay above water OR not do much business at all. Personally, I would rather go broke doing very little business than to give it all away and work for nothing.

It is very easy to price yourself out of the market as well. Lots of companies will strictly enforce the "protective territory" business model. Thus, taking pricing out of the equation for the most part. Of course, the economy always has the final say.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone here ever get a chance to hear the new Outlaw BLSv2's? Just curious. If so, please share your initial impressions with us. They appear to be designed very well. Hope to see a review of some sorts and perhaps some measurements sometime in the near future. :)

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Anyone here ever get a chance to hear the new Outlaw BLSv2's? Just curious. If so, please share your initial impressions with us. They appear to be designed very well. Hope to see a review of some sorts and perhaps some measurements sometime in the near future. :)

Cheers,

Phil
I have a pair here, I just barely dug into them, but first impressions are very positive. However, you will have to wait awhile for a more detailed assessment of these speakers, but it is forthcoming. Including measurements!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have a pair here, I just barely dug into them, but first impressions are very positive. However, you will have to wait awhile for a more detailed assessment of these speakers, but it is forthcoming. Including measurements!
Awesome James! Looking forward to it. I am sure others are as well. No hurry. Thanks!:)

Cheers,

Phil

blaze2051

blaze2051

Audiophyte
any updates

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Okay I have asked before and will do so again. Has anyone here heard the new Outlaw BLSv2's? If so, please share your impressions with us. Has anyone here been able to compare them to other bookshelf speakers? If so, please enlighten us. Just trying to ascertain as much info about the BLSv2's as I can. They certainly look the part. Thanks so much! :)

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Okay I have asked before and will do so again. Has anyone here heard the new Outlaw BLSv2's? If so, please share your impressions with us. Has anyone here been able to compare them to other bookshelf speakers? If so, please enlighten us. Just trying to ascertain as much info about the BLSv2's as I can. They certainly look the part. Thanks so much! :)

Cheers,

Phil
The review will be published very soon. No need to panic, Phil!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The review will be published very soon. No need to panic, Phil!
Not panicking James. Think of it more as curiosity. The BLSv2's look very promising inmho. They are also in my price range. Perhaps, that alone is driving my interests. :) Looking forward to the review.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis