Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 Pre/Pro vs RX-A3050 Atmos/DTS:X Receiver

F

frans callebaut

Audioholic Intern
hello gene,

where can you find the dolby surround upmixer and the center channel spread on ?

kind regards,

frans callebaut

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Click the remote "On Screen" button, cycle the options to "DSP Program", Select the "Surround Decoder", use the up arrow to access the settings for the option. Click on "Decoder Type", select Surround. Click the "Enter" to select and adjust the additional settings.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just so impressed with the recent video review detailing settings on Yamahas setup. The center spread feature really helps DSU on my 2060 and 681. Also not sure it was clear in the review but the center dialog lift feature doesn’t need heights to work. The mains can lift the dialogue perfect too. Overall one of my favorite reviews ever. Very informative for all Yamaha owners.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Just so impressed with the recent video review detailing settings on Yamahas setup. The center spread feature really helps DSU on my 2060 and 681. Also not sure it was clear in the review but the center dialog lift feature doesn’t need heights to work. The mains can lift the dialogue perfect too. Overall one of my favorite reviews ever. Very informative for all Yamaha owners.
thank you. I plan on doing a similar review of the Marantz SR8012 in the coming months.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Gene. I’m new to posting but have been reading your site and forum many years. 4 Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers is my next goal. Looking forward to the next review as always.

F

frans callebaut

Audioholic Intern
hello gene,

when i use the yamaha cx-a 5100 with the analog inputs coming from an oppo udp-205, do i have to use the oppo's speaker configuration, or is it not necessary and will the speaker configuration of the cx-a5100 do the job ?

kind regards,

frans callebaut

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Consider as a general rule the 5100 defines the speaker output, via the setup, along with the Amp(s) and Speakers connected to it, and the DSP mode selected.

The Oppo has a number of output connections

1. RCA/XLR stereo ouptuts, usually intended for Stereo reproduction of CDs using the the Oppo to decode
2. Coax/Spdif, usually intended for Films (Dvd, Blu-rays, etc) however this output is limited to a compressed 5.1 Dolby or DTS formats, or stereo PCM.
3. Pre-outs, usually intended for AVRs/Processors which cannot handle the hi-res audio formats however this output would be limited to 7.1. Atmos/Dts:X object data would be discarded and no overhead speakers would be supported.

Lastly
4. HDMI, this will provide the entire range of formats supported by the Oppo and discs decodable by the 5100

The Oppo has two Hdmi outputs. One is intended for the 5100 to passthru the video to the TV or projector. The other is audio only where the direct connection to the TV or projector is required and the audio is decoded by the 5100.

Unless you plan to connect the Oppo to a separate Stereo amp for CDs then HDMI is the only connection required. There is probably no real benefit using the RCA/XLR and the Oppo to decode CDs just to have them pass through another set of AD/DA converters in the 5100

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
hello gene,

when i use the yamaha cx-a 5100 with the analog inputs coming from an oppo udp-205, do i have to use the oppo's speaker configuration, or is it not necessary and will the speaker configuration of the cx-a5100 do the job ?

kind regards,

frans callebaut
Not if you're just doing 2CH fullrange audio. It makes no sense to use multi-ch analog outputs of that player when your processor will decode all of the latest codecs and apply bass management much better than the Oppo can however.

F

frans callebaut

Audioholic Intern
hello gene,

thank you for your answer. so it makes no difference that the oppo has a better dac (sabre ess 9038) than the yamaha (sabre ess 9018). when i use the hdmi connections of the two units the yamaha dac will do the work.

kind regards,

frans callebaut
Not if you're just doing 2CH fullrange audio. It makes no sense to use multi-ch analog outputs of that player when your processor will decode all of the latest codecs and apply bass management much better than the Oppo can however.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
hello gene,

thank you for your answer. so it makes no difference that the oppo has a better dac (sabre ess 9038) than the yamaha (sabre ess 9018). when i use the hdmi connections of the two units the yamaha dac will do the work.

kind regards,

frans callebaut
Frans, how much better is the Oppo's dac; can you really hear the difference ? Even if you could; as mentioned by Gene in post 28; let the Yamaha do the work.

Several years ago I had a similar situation with my Marantz UD-9004 and Yamaha Z11. I tried both ways and ultimately I used the HDMI connection to have the Z11 do all of it...much more convenient and easier.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Jeepers, it is pretty much irrelevant how much better the Oppo's DACs Frans believes they are. Plugging the Oppo into the 5100 will still use the 5100 DACs, both A to D and D to A. That's 3 conversion for the RCA/XLR connection, instead of 1 when using the HDMI.

The only way to see if the Oppo's DACs do a better job is to plug the Oppo directly into the Amp and then compare.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
hello gene,

kind regards,

frans callebaut
ES9018, and 9038 are basically the same, but the Yamaha CX-A5100 has the ES9016 that has lower specs, though it will most likely not be a determining factor on the overall sound quality. The specs of the ES9016 is already excellent and it won't be the bottleneck at all. Obviously Gene may have a different opinion.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Jeepers, it is pretty much irrelevant how much better the Oppo's DACs Frans believes they are. Plugging the Oppo into the 5100 will still use the 5100 DACs, both A to D and D to A. That's 3 conversion for the RCA/XLR connection, instead of 1 when using the HDMI.

The only way to see if the Oppo's DACs do a better job is to plug the Oppo directly into the Amp and then compare.
Some AVRs and/or AVPs may have analog direct inputs that allows for bypassing the unit's DAC. My older AVRs have such features.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

So your saying using the Yamaha MC input doesn't bypass all processing? Thats new then

Peng beat me to it

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Processing is irrelevant in this context. I doubt the wiring in the 5100 leads directly from the RCA/XLR inputs to the RCA/XLR outputs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Processing is irrelevant in this context. I doubt the wiring in the 5100 leads directly from the RCA/XLR inputs to the RCA/XLR outputs.
Your doubting goes against history and fact. Every avr with MC inputs ive ever owned, processing is bypassed.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Your doubting goes against history and fact. Every avr with MC inputs ive ever owned, processing is bypassed.
I wish that they would have made the phone stage adjustable... I find there is considerably less gain with the Yamaha than my inexpensive external phono stage.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
ES9018, and 9038 are basically the same, but the Yamaha CX-A5100 has the ES9016 that has lower specs, though it will most likely not be a determining factor on the overall sound quality. The specs of the ES9016 is already excellent and it won't be the bottleneck at all. Obviously Gene may have a different opinion.
Agreed, especially since Yamaha does their own clocking to keep Jitter extremely low. I'd use the DAC in the 5100. It's superb.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In pure direct mode, all digital circuitry is bypassed. The signal chain is completely analog.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I was going to leave this alone as it makes no difference for myself :eek: however, from to the Yamaha CX A5100 manual and this applies to all sources.

"When Pure Direct mode is enabled, the unit plays back the selected source with the least circuitry in order to reduce electrical noise from other circuitry (such as the front display).". It does not indicate that all digital circuitry is bypassed for analogue sources in Pure direct mode, although a circuit diagram would be able to confirm this. However this Yamaha diagram from their site for the Z9 flagship AVR, circa 2004 seems to indicate that analogue inputs do not bypass the ADC section. :(

Perhaps I am still misunderstanding and the diagram is incomplete.

That said, what is the point in using a £2.5K surround processor, bypass all of the features and functions for, as suggested, minimal if any benefit which could literally be replaced by a £10 analogue switch for that "special occasion". This would not require the processor to be fully on (standby not being an option), cut the signal path down even further and remove any erroneous conjecture on my part. :)

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis