Oppo to wind down and cease manufacturing

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. 205 does not have the streaming functions either. I have multiple streaming devices so not an issue. In fact, I never used the streaming functions on the 105. If you have that concern that you may not be able to get a 203 or may pay more for it down the road, I'd say pick it up. If that's not a concern right now, then stick with what you have.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are the pros and cons 103d vs 203 apart from 4k? Is 203 really really faster? Will i loose netflix and tidal?
Couldn't tell you about any differences but 203 has no streaming apps built in. I glossed that over when ordering myself but have just got some Amazon Fire Sticks since app support on other devices (bluray players, avrs) is getting poorer anyways...

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
I could see using some CF support for car audio, what harness I need, stuff like that.

But for home AV stuff, likely not very useful in the long run.
Just because one particular use case for support seems useful for you doesn't mean another one wouldn't be the same for someone else. You do know "in the long run" that OPPO Digital's out of business right?

CF tends to be over-priced, or right at MSRP......but I have seen some smoking deals on there from time to time too!
I already explained that to the other poster. When you're an authorized dealer for everything you sell you are bound by that manufactures advertised pricing structure. Shooting out an email/PM or making a phone call gets around all that. Acoustic Sound Design is another example of this but they have done a better job of getting the message out on how to get deals. I've done the exact same thing in the past with ABT Electronics as well. Also an authorized dealer for everything they sell.

any products MSRP being over priced is always relative to the amount of markup built in to that product by the manufacture. There are cars that have MSRP's that are actually lower than dealer cost based on charges to the invoice not reflected in the MSRP cost column. Other vehicles we could discount 2 grand from MSRP and still make a good profit.

You should look through a Music Direct catalog sometime. The phono cartridges cost are my favorite.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
My UDP-205 arrived today, and works perfectly. I tried every possible type of discs that I've got and all played perfectly. This included both NTSC & PAL DVD-Videos(Both manufactured and home-burned DVD-R),
DVD-audio(both manufactured and home burned), Blu-ray audio, Blu-ray video (60Hz & 50Hz), Video CD (both NTSC & PAL) Compact disc(manufactured and CD-R) and SACD(Manufactured discs only. I'm aware that the last two generations of Oppo players can't play home-burned SACD's). Also tried "Region 2" DVD's(My unit is hardware modified "Region-Free" , with automatic region recognition for DVD's and Region changing via remote control for "Blu-Ray"). My video collection is mostly rock music videos and concerts. While i've encountered (and bought) plenty of British,German and Japanese DVD's encoded to block playback in North America), I have yet to encounter a Blu-ray music video or concert encoded to block North American playback. My one "50 Hz" blu-ray disc, AKA PAL Blu-ray ("Marillion-Live at Cadogan Hall") isn't region coded, though not all "Region A" Blu-ray players can play a 50Hz disc, though luckily all Oppo Blu-ray players can play it.
I was easily able to establish a wireless connection to my modem/router, and I installed the latest firmware update(what new features it brings to the party is unknown, but better to have it than not have it). As for the CD Album/Song title recognition feature (Gracenote), the UDP-205 doesn't supply album cover artwork(like the BDP-105D did), but, on the positive side, it recognizes album titles and song titles when playing SACD's; something that the BDP-105D couldn't do.
Now I'm going to store the UDP-205 and keep it in what I call "Museum Grade Condition", kind of like my duplicate pair of (discontinued) Puma "Faas 300" green sneakers. ("Faas" is a Jamaican pronunciation of "Fast"). Hopefully, circumstances will never require me to use the UDP-205....or the sneakers. I may be somewhat crazy and obessive(as collectors usually are) but the UDP-205 and the sneakers will remain pristine and beautiful.
I can now enjoy all of my digital disc media without worry, and in a few weeks, my repaired BDP-83 will come back from Oppo's repair shop. One more spare player. The BDP-83 can play home-burned SACD's, though I have few remaining.
Oppo made some great products. Too bad that I couldn't afford Oppo's HA-1 headphone amplifier when it was briefly available. It looked very, very cool.
Still, I Love my "Man Cave".
As an update to my story, my BDP-83 came back from Oppo's repair department. It now works perfectly, keeps its "Region-Free" modification and its ability to play home-burned SACD's (though I have few remaining. I downloaded most of he same material again as FLAC and burned DVD-Audio versions). So I've got my BDP-83 & my BDP-105D connected to my Integra DHC 9.9 A/V processor, and I'm holding my new UDP-205 for spare/future use. My DHC 9.9 only permits two Blu-ray players to be connected. For most people two players would be enough. Not For Me, though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As an update to my story, my BDP-83 came back from Oppo's repair department. It now works perfectly, keeps its "Region-Free" modification and its ability to play home-burned SACD's (though I have few remaining. I downloaded most of he same material again as FLAC and burned DVD-Audio versions). So I've got my BDP-83 & my BDP-105D connected to my Integra DHC 9.9 A/V processor, and I'm holding my new UDP-205 for spare/future use. My DHC 9.9 only permits two Blu-ray players to be connected. For most people two players would be enough. Not For Me, though.
Your DHC 9.9 only has two hdmi inputs? Or just two available? What do you do, put a disc in each and just like to switch from one to the other without having to get up? :)

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
Your DHC 9.9 only has two hdmi inputs? Or just two available? What do you do, put a disc in each and just like to switch from one to the other without having to get up? :)
The reason is to reduce wear and tear on the BDP-105D. For less critical viewing or listening, I can use the BDP-83. And also, this way, my BDP-83 isn't sitting on my (carpeted) floor where I could potentially trip over it. At the moment, my UDP-205 IS being stored on the floor, albeit in Oppo's cloth bag, with a plastic garbage bag around Oppo's bag (to keep out the dust).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Loop one of the players through the 105 or 205's HDMI input section and you can use two lol.

I haven't decided to sell my 105 yet. Had always wanted to use it for System #2, which may happen.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
Actually, it has four HDMI inputs. I just checked the rear panel.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
On another internet forum, one participant used a phrase from a recent rock song to describe the panic run on Oppo products and the view that there will never again be a disc player with the quality and all of the features of the Oppo disc players. The phrase could also apply to a possible future in which it may not be possible for long-time music collectors to purchase music in a format in which we can permanently posess it. The phrase is "It's The End of The World As We Know It". These situations are draining much of the fun out of being a music collector and Hifi/Home theater enthusiast. It's a sad thing.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I decided to keep the Oppo 203. It's a nice piece and certainly the nicest blu-ray player I've used, altho I would have preferred it having music/video apps on-board still (and have purchased a couple Amazon Fire Sticks for now instead of looking to blu-ray players/avrs to keep the apps updated, have had a few issues in that respect). I do like it's feature set and variety of inputs/outputs, makes it suitable down the line for a variety of uses. A little concerned about their support promises and I don't have anything 4k for now, but....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis